Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:55 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,717,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
And very cold in the winter! Do not believe the chamber of commerce crap about mild winters in GJ.
Cold yes. Definitely.
Mild in terms of snow, especially compared to Front Range cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
80skeys wrote:
Cold yes. Definitely.
Mild in terms of snow, especially compared to Front Range cities.
You are absolutely right about the snow. During the 4 winters I've been in GJ there has been very little accumulation of snow. There really has not been much snow at all. I expected there to be alot more. But the little bit that does accumulate covers the ground for weeks on end. During December and January all it takes is an inch or two to trap the cold air in the valleys. When that happens, it's colder in the valleys than it is in the higher elevations. The inch or two that usually accumulates here would melt completely by the next day over on the front range. At least that was the case in Boulder when I lived over there in the early '70s. Fortunately the main roads are usually snow free in a few hours, so we rarely have to drive on snow covered roads...except in the residential areas.

The cold air inversion was even more pronounced over in Moab. The first 3 winters I lived in GJ, Moab was usually a few degrees warmer than GJ, but not this winter. Most of this past winter, Moab was a few degrees colder than GJ.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 PM

8 posts, read 25,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Very little crime. Family-oriented. Most of the people around here are married and have kids. It's close to some interesting outdoor activities (Monument, Moab, mountains, lakes, etc.)

What's bad about it is that it is very isolated (4 hour drive to Denver). The restaurant scene is not good (very little variety.) The shopping is not good. There's no nightlife. There's very little in the way of arts and culture. Its very brown and dry.
80skeys, from what I hear from life long GJ relatives and friends, crime has soared there in recent years mostly because of meth heads needing money. Local and the Mesa County Sherriff's Police have their hands filled with robberies and burglaries. You say no?

Old 03-27-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadude View Post
80skeys, from what I hear from life long GJ relatives and friends, crime has soared there in recent years mostly because of meth heads needing money. Local and the Mesa County Sherriff's Police have their hands filled with robberies and burglaries. You say no?
I say no.

As you said, life long GJ residents remember the old days where there was no crime at all. Understandable if you grow up on a farm. Their perspective is "any crime is a huge increase from none."

For the rest of us who grew up in the average American city, Grand Junction is noticeably lacking in crime. As a whole the town is clean, respectable and presentable.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:28 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,754,490 times
Quote:
I say no.

As you said, life long GJ residents remember the old days where there was no crime at all. Understandable if you grow up on a farm. Their perspective is "any crime is a huge increase from none."

For the rest of us who grew up in the average American city, Grand Junction is noticeably lacking in crime. As a whole the town is clean, respectable and presentable.
According to City-Data, GJ has averaged a 42% higher rate of serious crime over the past decade than the average American city.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
I say no.

I agree with sterlinggirl. The crimes stats for Grand Junction are pretty pathetic for a city its size. In fact, the per capita stats found right here in City-Data show that it is about as crime-ridden per capita as a number of the large Front Range cities. In fact, Grand Junction's per capita crime rating is considerably worse than that of the City and County of Denver, which is hardly a crime-free utopia. On the bright side, Grand Junction's rating is better than Pueblo's, but that's not saying much. Sadly, many places in Colorado, and not just big cities, have middling or worse crime ratings. One more dirty little secret the Chamber of Commerce-types and real estate peddlers don't want you know.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
According to City-Data, GJ has averaged a 42% higher rate of serious crime over the past decade than the average American city.
That's why I don't pay attention to those statistics. It doesn't jibe with the experience of living in Grand Junction.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:24 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,754,490 times
Grand Junction's unemployment rate is still climbing while sales tax collections are down.

Jobless rate nears 10 percent in Mesa County | GJFreePress.com
Sales, Use tax falls in Grand Junction | GJFreePress.com

Old 03-31-2010, 12:04 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,914,919 times
I have a great deal of affection for Grand Junction, where I lived and worked back in the 1980s. Our HQ was actually in Glenwood Spgs (I worked for Colo West Regional Mental Health Ctr, the GJ affiliate of which is Mesa Co. Mental Health), so I would go to GS for various organizational meetings. GS is real pretty and feels quite alpine but I never really thought it would be a great place to live. The high desert terrain of GJ is beautiful and for a more alpine environment you've got the Grand Mesa just to the east -- the largest flat topped mountain in the world. I used to hike the Colo National Monument west of town almost daily during warm months. I never thought the summer heat was all that bad -- nothing like Austin, TX where I lived for many years. Also there's virtually no humidity in GJ. As others have said, the winters in the valley are typically pretty mild. One of our secretaries used to refer to GJ as being in "the banana belt" of Colorado -- really one of the warmest winter climates in the state. I know the place has undoubtedly lost more of its charm in the last 20 years, though there are no doubt more amenities there now too. Doesn't sound like the restaurant situation has improved much -- it was pretty dreary on that score when I lived there. But you can drive cool places all over the Western Slope. We used to go to the little Episcopal church (St John's) in Ouray on Sundays and then drive up to Telluride for brunch. There's a lot to see all over the Western Slope and it's more truly the West than is the Front Range -- very romantic and remote in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado