U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:35 AM

200 posts, read 408,472 times

Advertisements

Hi there, please help with these two towns. I have heard that GJ is a village in the middle of nowhere, and GS is $$$$$$$$$$. other than that, what you can say about two towns?

How much a family with a kid has to have to live in GS or 20 min around? And, if to live around , which side east of GS or West of it? I would consider the house no more than $450K. I know it is not much for GS, but some small towns around have OK houses. Which small towns around GS are OK to live in? view, decent schools, decent people, etc...Thanks.

What is good and bad about GJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
Grand Junction is hardly a village. It's a small city, with a population around 50,000 and 100,000+ people in the surrounding valley. In is in the middle of nowhere in a sense, because it's the largest city between Denver and Salt Lake, but you can get pretty much everything you need there. I lived in GJ for almost 7 years and never really liked it, but many others on this forum do. It just depends on what your looking for. It used to be pretty affordable, but now that has changed as well as the economy. From what I hear, there are no jobs in GJ. It's a desert climate, so hot summers and relatively mild winters by CO standards (although it was tough, cold winter this year I heard).

Glenwood Springs is expensive, as it's become a bedroom community for Aspen. I have no idea what $450K will get you. I imagine more these days than a few years ago when I was in GJ. We thought about moving to Glenwood because we liked the location, but we literally couldn't even afford a trailer in a trailer park! Many of the surrounding communities are very small, but also relatively expensive for what they are. This is due in large part to the oil & gas industry, which saw an increase a few years ago. With the current economy, this may have changed. I have heard schools in Glenwood can be pretty rough, but I can't imagine they are all bad considering the population. I think there is a strong division in socioeconomic class. Again, I imagine jobs are pretty scarce, so unless your bringing one with you, it may be hard to live anywhere in these somewhat remote locals.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:35 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
The time to get into Glenwood Springs and the "good" places like Carbondale was 15 years ago. The prices are now too high on the cost of living side of things compared to incomes. Good jobs there are hard to come by and much of it revolves around seasonal tourism and 2nd home support like plumbers and electricians and some retail.

I think the oil and gas boom has cooled a bit but I remember that drove rental costs crazy there for a while.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:25 PM

200 posts, read 408,472 times
If we move to GS we will both have jobs, and income somewhere around $150 K

Old 03-21-2010, 01:04 AM

2,253 posts, read 5,835,868 times
Wink Shades of brown and green

There is a distinct difference between Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs, with the later viewed more generally as desirable. Employment may pose a question in either local, particularly at the moment. That aside, one can get more house for the money in Grand Junction, but $450,000 will buy a decent house in Glenwood Springs, and even at $100,000 less than that. So it may devolve to that you more prefer.

Glenwood Springs will be more green, Grand Junction somewhat dry and only on the edge of the mountains. A place such as Aspen, south of GS, will be that much more green and verdant, but an entirely different world socially and economically. GS is as expensive as it is because of its relative proximity to Aspen and as a bedroom community of sorts, and also as a perfectly beautiful community in its own right.

However nothing in Colorado will match the forests and overall level of lushness back east. The eastern plains, and yes Grand Junction, are uniformly brown the better part of the year. Even the lower mountains, if without much snow, may seem somewhat desiccated in winter. That of course changes when everything leafs out come spring, although a beauty in its own right and uniquely different from New England. San Diego and a good deal of California tends to experience the reverse season from California, with the green of winter fading to brown come summer, Colorado the exact opposite. Many like its low level of humidity, often blue skies, snow but little in the way of ice storms, laid back attitudes in certain areas, similar to coastal California. Whether any of this enticement enough, or reason to look elsewhere, determined in each case by those choosing a life here, or elsewhere.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:12 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede in CA View Post
Hi there, please help with these two towns. I have heard that GJ is a village in the middle of nowhere, and GS is $$$$$$$$$$.
True.

Quote:
other than that, what you can say about two towns?
Very different from eachother.
  • Grand Junction is in the desert. GS is in the mountains.
  • Grand Junction is a blue collar town (lots of oilfield workers.) GS is an upper class resort town.
  • Grand Junction usually receives very little snow.
  • GJ gets very hot in the summer (110). GS is cooler.
  • GJ has a population of about 90,000. GS is much smaller.

Quote:
How much a family with a kid has to have to live in GS or 20 min around? And, if to live around , which side east of GS or West of it? I would consider the house no more than $450K.
You could buy a fantastic house in Grand Junction for that.

Quote:
What is good and bad about GJ?
Waht's good is that it's a peaceful, safe town. No traffic. Very little crime. Family-oriented. Most of the people around here are married and have kids. It's close to some interesting outdoor activities (Monument, Moab, mountains, lakes, etc.)

What's bad about it is that it is very isolated (4 hour drive to Denver). The restaurant scene is not good (very little variety.) The shopping is not good. There's no nightlife. There's very little in the way of arts and culture. Its very brown and dry.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:23 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,444,773 times
If you live in Glenwood (yes it's prettier)
you will still have to go into GJ for Hospitals, The "big" mall etc...

I found the dining options in Glenwood worse than GJ.
I also feel the schools in GJ are better (esp on HS level) than Glenwood.

Housing in Glenwood is more $$$$
Both have great acess to outdoor activites.

GJ has a bigger downtown area.
Glenwoods construction right now near downtown is a pain! But still has a neat funky downtown area.

Glenwood feels like a town and a "resort town" as well.
GJ feels more like a "city" (lol)

Winter Weather is "usually" not as cold or snowy in GJ as Glenwood...but this year GJ had a very cold and snowy season.

Summers...GJ is HOT. it's high desert. it's flat. so days will reach the 100's but the nights do cool down nice. Beautiful views of the CO monument in hte Redlands area.
Glenwood is cooler in summer. more mountian feel.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:45 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I found the dining options in Glenwood worse than GJ.
Not that GJ is great either. There's no Greek restaurants, no Middle Eastern, no Indian (just a mediocre Nepalese), no Vietnamese, one mediocre Thai. Most of the restaurants are national chains like Famous Daves and Texas Roadhouse.

There are, however, a bunch of good sushi places, which baffles me.

Quote:
Summers...GJ is HOT. it's high desert. it's flat. so days will reach the 100's
Very hot in the summer.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
And very cold in the winter! Do not believe the chamber of commerce crap about mild winters in GJ. This was my 4th winter in GJ. They have all been cold, but the other 3 winters were sunny most of the time, and actually rather pleasant This winter was gray and hazy most of the time, with very little sunshine, and even less blue sky. Not much snow this winter, but the ground was covered most of the winter due to the cold and lack of sunshine. All things considered, this was the most depressing winter I've lived thru anywhere, any time. It wasn't the cold, it wasn't the snow...but the grayness seems to have penetrated my very soul. It just got to me. The winter I spent in Seattle wasn't this gray. Hopefully this winter was an abberration. From what I've observed on the weather channel, winter just outright sucked in much of the country this year.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-24-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 03-24-2010, 08:44 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,444,773 times
Quote:
From what I've observed on the weather channel, winter just outright sucked in much of the country this year.
Yep!!
MANY places have had record snowfalls and record "grey" cold rainy days.

I am in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and we have had 4 snows this year! and wayyyy too many east coast "grey" cold rainy days!! wierd. But lucky no drought this summer!

My Dad says this has been the coldest snowiest winter in GJ in a long time. But we were just there and spring is on the way...I think spring is a great time in GJ.

Forgot to mention that GJ does have a big retirement population (esp up in the Redlands) so the schools benefit from the RE tax base in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado