U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:34 AM

200 posts, read 408,355 times

Advertisements

My brain tells me go to CO, but my heart is set on Maine.... I am almost 40 and live only by my heart is silly, but my being wanting leaves and forests, proximity to ocean. I am lost in CA for many years, and still in search what would I like. I have visited Colorado many times, mostly in winters and falls. I am torn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 03:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,834,746 times
Wink The choice perhaps already made

Colorado enjoys lovely mountains, but they are not the Sierra Nevada of California. One might appreciate either, but the heart keeps its own counsel.

I have yet to visit Maine, unfortunately, but its landscape is obviously unique. And if truly desiring the ocean then your choice is made.

Of the three, Colorado should offer the lowest cost of living, this in part due its reasonable property taxes. My understanding that overall Maine has one of the highest tax rates in the country. This beyond the consideration of employment, and while that can be specific in field and location, generally California and Colorado with better options.

However in such things it is best to let the heart dictate the choice, and our more skeptical head tasked in figuring out how to make it so.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:46 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,246,015 times
I've known a lot of people who moved to Maine and could only hack it for so long before moving back down South. When I say back South I mean Massachussett and Pennsylvania. It's too darn cold, dark (remember your pretty far North) and isolated for most people not from there. Go hang out on the Maine forum awhile and ask the locals. I've not heard the same thing from folks who moved to CO.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:55 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,184,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Colorado enjoys lovely mountains, but they are not the Sierra Nevada of California. One might appreciate either, but the heart keeps its own counsel.

I have yet to visit Maine, unfortunately, but its landscape is obviously unique. And if truly desiring the ocean then your choice is made.

Of the three, Colorado should offer the lowest cost of living, this in part due its reasonable property taxes. My understanding that overall Maine has one of the highest tax rates in the country. This beyond the consideration of employment, and while that can be specific in field and location, generally California and Colorado with better options.

However in such things it is best to let the heart dictate the choice, and our more skeptical head tasked in figuring out how to make it so.
I am from NE originally [MA, though] and have family in Maine, including my spouse's sibling who relocated there from so cal years ago. I have been in CA for ten years, and lived in CO for 3 yrs.
I completely agree re: Maine's high tax base/rates, lack of jobs, and CO's best cost of living option.
CO has an excellent quality of life, as well.
'on paper' as OP stated, CO is the logical choice. BUT, if you are guided to Maine, perhaps there are opportunities awaiting you there.

Then again, sometimes what we think is our 'heart', is really some long lost projection about something we think we 'need or want', and our head is actually steering us in the right direction.
CO is a great place [though I opted to move back to CA, b/c the dry mtn air and browness were not for us, so I understand why you are drawn to maine-still, that cold.........it's really cold, you know?]

Have you considered sonoma or mendocino? Green, peaceful, rain and moisture but w/o the harsh cold and dark? Don't knwo where in CA you are...but go north, young man, go north. lol

Good luck whatever you decide...

Old 03-20-2010, 05:28 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
I tend to believe in my experience there is no true geographic cure.

Maine has the water, leaves and forest so if you are looking for that, then that's the place to go.

Colorado for the most part is technically a desert. The vast majority of terrain in Colorado with trees and water is either inaccessible to the average person for much of the year or very expensive.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:30 PM

Your are absolutely right about the geographical cure. My husband and I grew up in 4 season climate with nature close to Maine. I love forests and seasons, and I think I will go nuts in dry climate and brown colors.

We live in San Diego, and our income here is approximately $165K. We have a house we bought a long time ago, and it is in a very good spot. We have many fruit trees and are very close to everything, but I want something calm, fewer people, more green, and cooler.......

Old 03-21-2010, 12:15 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
Southern/coastal Maine is pretty much an outcropping of the Boston metro area, especially up I-95 past Portland. Gorgeous area. I like the weather- not humid in the summer and sharply cold in the winter.
But work... huge issue for everyone. Housing along the coast (say, from Portland and south to Boston) costs similar to Boston metro. Bath is much more affordable, with views of the Kennebec River and affordable houses, including old sea captain's big houses, and so on. It's a fine town, and easy drive to the "fingers" of land to the ocean (my favorite being the drive to Reid State Park, just north of Bath).
But work. Jobs. Hmmm. Huge issue everywhere. If you don't have something good in hand, it's not worth showing up.
And living inland and north? Isolated. No opportunities. High expense to buy anything, as it's at the end of supply lines. And colder.
There are those who'd calculate the "teeth-to-tattoos" ration inland. It can be rough there, and much colder than the coast.
As others suggest, check in with the Maine forum. But if you don't have jobs in hand, well...

Old 03-21-2010, 06:16 PM

If we move, we both have jobs for approximately $140K total/y. IS it enough around Portland?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:45 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
Good heavens. You'll own the place with that income!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 AM

12,840 posts, read 23,194,240 times
I disagree with the "there's no geographic cure" comment. I believe there is. There are places I've been where I feel "at one" and "at peace" with the world. It's hard to explain, but it's real.

In my experience, "on paper" Colorado should be it for me. But when I go to this state's more beautiful places, I see something very pretty, but I don't feel its soul, and quite frankly that leaves me completely disappointed.

OP, I think you should go spend a week in each place, and then go with your heart. No low COL or low taxes will get quench your thirst for life in a beautiful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or