Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:51 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,343,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Yes people with military experience are always given preference.
Incorrect and misleading.

Someone who went to training and got chaptered for a non-physical-disability reason (failure to adapt being one of the most common early discharge categories) would NOT be given preference.

VetGuide

"To receive preference, a veteran must have been discharged or released from active duty in the Armed Forces under honorable conditions (i.e., with an honorable or general discharge). As defined in 5 U.S.C. 2101(2), "Armed Forces" means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard. The veteran must also be eligible under one of the preference categories below (also shown on the Standard Form (SF) 50, Notification of Personnel Action)."

"Five points are added to the passing examination score or rating of a veteran who served:
  • During a war; or
  • During the period April 28, 1952 through July 1, 1955; or
  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or
  • During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992; or
  • For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on the date prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law as the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or
  • In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Southwest Asia, Somalia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference.
A campaign medal holder or Gulf War veteran who originally enlisted after September 7, 1980, (or began active duty on or after October 14, 1982, and has not previously completed 24 months of continuous active duty) must have served continuously for 24 months or the full period called or ordered to active duty. The 24-month service requirement does not apply to 10-point preference eligibles separated for disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, or to veterans separated for hardship or other reasons under 10 U.S.C. 1171 or 1173."

"Ten points are added to the passing examination score or rating of:
  • A veteran who served at any time and who has a compensable service-connected disability rating of at least 10 percent but less than 30 percent."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 05:41 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,340,619 times
My husband has done 30 years as a military civilian. We have lived all over the world and loved it. As far as Colorado goes I would say Pueblo would be about it for civilian jobs or the Springs. We had the choice (30 years ago) between Pueblo and Toole, Ut. After visiting both we choice Toole.

Actually, I would mind being transferred to Pueblo now because an hour South is incredible mountains and we are close to retirement.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:48 PM

82 posts, read 478,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
My husband has done 30 years as a military civilian. We have lived all over the world and loved it. As far as Colorado goes I would say Pueblo would be about it for civilian jobs or the Springs. We had the choice (30 years ago) between Pueblo and Toole, Ut. After visiting both we choice Toole.

Actually, I would mind being transferred to Pueblo now because an hour South is incredible mountains and we are close to retirement.
What does he do as a DoD Civilian? How difficult is it to transfer to different locations? Is it true that relocation expenses are covered?

Old 04-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Yes, all relocation expenses are covered. We have had all real estate costs covered and our last house they bought from us for appraised value. Husband started out as Quality Assurance Ammunition Inspector and we moved every 1 - 3 years mostly oversees but state side too. When our daughter reach upper teens he changed into a non-rotation program called ammunition manager at the ammunition school located in Savanna, OK. Been here for (too long) and wouldn't mind him going back into the other program for a little variety.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hochhasd View Post
Do you think it would help me if I already have access to a military base overseas in which I could have a captain I know let me speak with the DOD career person in the office? I was once military,but do not get any benefits because my service was short. I received an honorable discharge,but can not claim veteran's preference.
As a former DoD civilian employee who worked for the HR department at Ramstein AB, I can tell you with 100% certainty that a Captain won't be able to do anything for you. Not to disrespect a Captain, but that rank barely gets a glance from most civilians.

Here's the reality...it is VERY hard to get a defense job as a civilian without being a military spouse on orders, a former honorably discharged military member, or someone with very specific qualifications that neither of the prior two will have. I posted new jobs and participated in the hiring of hundreds of employees for 2 years and never met anyone who didn't start out as one of those three groups I mentioned. DoD civilians know they've got a good thing going and especially now in this economy, they aren't going to be leaving and creating many openings for new employees.

I didn't read all of the posts, but I didn't see why you specifically are looking for a DoD job. If you're looking for an AF job, the HR department is in San Antonio and they're the ones who look at your resume and decide if you're qualified for the position. If you are qualified, your resume gets put into a pile of other qualified applicants and then are prioritized by who's on orders to the base, who's got prior military experience, and who has prior DoD civilian experience (and a form SF52 in their hand). If there isn't one single person who has those things, then they'll look at your resume and send the list of other qualified candidates to the person doing the hiring.

I don't want to depress you, but unless you've got some sort of specific skill that the military needs and no one else (former military included) has...well, you're going to have to look elsewhere.

There are places where you can get your foot in the door easier than others. Colorado isn't one of those places...it's got a pretty large military community (many of whom are retired) and not a lot of huge bases that need a large civilian community to support it. Also, there are a lot of contractors who are hired by military bases to provide personnel support instead of making those employees DoD civilians. I worked in Tampa, FL and met a lot of contracting civilians who were really fighting for the few DoD civilian jobs that were available.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:31 PM

[quote=the3Ds;13605963]As a former DoD civilian employee who worked for the HR department at Ramstein AB, I can tell you with 100% certainty that a Captain won't be able to do anything for you. Not to disrespect a Captain, but that rank barely gets a glance from most civilians.

You really will have to get the job in the State to go oversees. We were stationed at several bases and there were few jobs available to the spouses. I wanted to stay home thankfully because I doubt I would have found anything worth driving to the base everyday for.

My husband says a lot of the jobs on his base are now going contractor. I think that will be the new DOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado