U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,059 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Parker, Colorado in August and I am trying to find out which military base is not more than 45 min. each way from Parker. I am also trying to find a job as a civilian with the military,but I have had no success in finding a phone number to speak with someone being most all civilian jobs require a certain clearance level that only a retired serviceman already has obtainied. I would appreciate it if someone can guide me in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 03:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,627,276 times
Default dead, dead and dead

You are asking for the impossible in Colorado. The nearest base to you is Buckley AFB in Aurora. If that one isn't acceptable, I don't know what you believe military life to be like.

Military contractor and military civilian jobs are difficult to get for a reason. They tend to be held back for spouses and adult children of active military personnel. This is because the military, and the rest of the US Govt for that matter, has a different mind set on business and conduct than the private sector. These people are already exposed to the mindset and can deal with weird idiosyncrasies that pop up from time to time, like accidentally walking into a higher secured area of base and getting thrown up against a fence post and barked at by a 18 year old kid holding an M-16 at your head while he checks your clearances. (This doesn't happen a lot but it did happen to some co-workers of mine). Another reason is that many of these people relocate at the whim of deployment and the homefront is a little easier if there are jobs waiting for the spouse once they move there.

There is a good reason for security clearances, like not allowing just anyone into NORAD or an active Missle Wing command (Peterson and Buckley respectively). Your problem is that you don't have one and can't find a contractor that will even remotely talk to you without having one. If you have a technical degree (engineering, chemistry, bio-chemistry, ect.), once the economy fully turns around, you will have a shot but you will need to have worked for employers that do rigorous drug screening or they won't chance it. Even for those with active clearances, the military market is tough right now. If you have a business or LA degree, you'd be better off putting in 3-4 years in the service and then not re-enlisting. Maybe you'd get to be the guy pointing the M-16 at the dopey contractor and barking orders.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:02 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Only two ways to get a civilian job with a clearance:

1. Get hired as a Federal employee.
2. Get hired as a defense contractor.

In both these cases, they will pay for you to get your clearance. Prior to hiring you, they will ask if you are able to obtain and keep a clearance. Depending on the type of clearance, this could mean minimal requirements or could be very stringent.

There's only one way to get a Federal job: www.usajobs.opm.gov

As for working with a contract, you'll have to obtain a list of defense contractors in the area and go knocking door to door, introduce yourself, see if they have any openings.

Getting a job that requires a clearance is pretty difficult if you don't already have a clearance.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:02 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
There's a huge mass of military personnel and bases in COLO SPGS, but that's an hour's drive each way in good weather. In clear dry weather, at high speed, you might get to the USAF Academy in 45 minutes from Parker, but it really depends on where in Parker is the starting point.

Some jobs will let you work on a conditional basis until a clearance is granted, but already having a clearance gives one a head start.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:55 PM

82 posts, read 430,117 times
Just wanted to give a heads up -- I currently work for a defense contractor, who sponsored my security clearance. I have no prior military history. Honestly, I networked into the position. Someone heard I was looking for a job in the field and passed my resume on to their supervisor. Their motivation? Referral bonus.

Mike is on the money with interim clearance. When I was first hired, I filled out a thorough document, including the last seven years of where I lived and work history with a POC who could vouch for each. My clearance wasn't finalized until ~6 months into employment. My assumption is the interim just verifies the basics of citizenship, criminal history, etc, and the finalized version actually verified some of the more detailed information.

USAJobs.com is a good website to look for DoD civilian positions, but from what I've seen, most jobs are listed because they are legally required to be listed, and there is already a specific candidate in mind.

It is worth surfing the different defense contractors websites, as they list job openings as well. SAIC, CSC, Booz Allen, General Dynamics, Dell/Perot Systems, there are a bunch.

In response to FlyingCat2k, the military is pretty good with marking the classification level of documents/facilities/computers. Being on a base doesn't mean you are going to be surrounded by guard dogs and machine guns waiting for you to look at an unmarked document that is above your clearance level.

What's the scoop on NORAD these days anyway? Thought I read something about it not being based in the underground facility any more?

Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 PM

82 posts, read 430,117 times
To clarify, both previous service members and non-previous service members can obtain the same level of security clearance. At the same time, not all jobs on a military base require a security clearance. Communications/Intelligence/Information Technology would almost guarantee the need for a clearance, while working for Human Resources or MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) would not. Keep in mind there are exceptions to everything. What field are you in?

It is true that Government and defense contract jobs do give preference to previous service members, but that does not make it impossible for people like myself to get a job with one.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There's a huge mass of military personnel and bases in COLO SPGS, but that's an hour's drive each way in good weather. In clear dry weather, at high speed, you might get to the USAF Academy in 45 minutes from Parker, but it really depends on where in Parker is the starting point.

Some jobs will let you work on a conditional basis until a clearance is granted, but already having a clearance gives one a head start.

Do you think it would help me if I already have access to a military base overseas in which I could have a captain I know let me speak with the DOD career person in the office? I was once military,but do not get any benefits because my service was short. I received an honorable discharge,but can not claim veteran's preference.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,391,959 times
The *general* process (there's always exceptions, but I'm constantly involved in this process):

Authorization created or updated. 'I can officially have a body to do X'.

Knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) required documented (someone writes up what the 'ideal' candidate would have) by someone with knowledge of how the organization works and what must be done. 'Reqiore secret clearance, desire top secret. The body MUST be able to lift a 10 pound weight 100 times a day over their head. I would also like the body to be able to solve differential equations in their head if they can.'

Points assigned to being able to do these things. 'Top secret-10 points, secret-5 points, Weights-is a screener-if they can't do it, they can't get the job. Diffie-Qs is worth 5 points'.

Position classification and eligibility determination by someone OTHER than who wrote up KSAs<-usually the personnel office. 'Someone who might have a top secret clearance but must have a secret, can lift 10 pounds weights 100 times a day over their head AND can solve differential equations in their head is a GS-5. We'll let anyone compete for this job, and post it on USAJOBs'

People get the chance to post their resumes/apply for jobs. IF THE JOB IS RESERVED FOR IN-SYSTEM OR VETS, OR SOMEONE EXERCISES 'RETURN RIGHTS' FROM OVERSEAS, YOU DONT GET TO APPLY. That's why my advices if you truly want a career with DoD, you try to get into the Federal system, really any way you can, and then work your way to the job you really want.

Resumes screened by computer for key words. If you want a federal job, overdo your resume with words associated with the job functions. Your resume ought to be several pages. Brevity is not a good thing for this stage of the process.

Human factor applied by personnel office. A 'referral list' is created consisting of fully qualified, marginally qualified, and unqualified. You could be the best mathematician in the world, and have a top secret clearance-but if you can't do the screening stuff, you aren't getting referred. Referral lists given to hiring authority.

Hiring authority (usually telephonically) interviews the people and assigns points based on their true gauge of KSAs. I get folks all the time telling me in their resume they know Cisco. 3 times out of 4 it's someone who really just signed up for a community college class 6 years ago and has never actually touched a router. We 'rack and stack' the resulting files based on points assigned after the interview. This creates a merit list-Person X gets 10 points, Person Y gets 8 points, Person Z gets 0 because they don't meet criteria.

Selection made. You CAN override the highest point getter, but you better document it and get personnel to nod their head that's it's legal, because employment in the federal system is supposed to be strictly by merit as long as you meet the basic criteria, not by who you know.

Offer made-the organization has a dollar figure in mind they clear with civilian personnel and budget.

Person accepts, declines, or accepts conditionally (he's about to negotiate something different, like a raise or step or relocation allowance).

Person negotiates any changes to package, and agency can agree to it within the rules or reject the person if they stand firm.

Report date established.

Person moves, either at government expense if the agency agrees to it, or at their own.

The moral of this long story? Talking to some personnel office and saying you were once in the military probably isn't going to do a thing for you. It's all very formal.

It *is* possible to 'know' someone and get a leg up or hired over someone more qualified-let's not fool ourselves-but I know on hiring decisions I personally make or sit on committees for, I go strictly by the rules and KSAs, not who knows a person. I would nuke an employee who showed favoritism to ANYONE on a hiring action based on something other than their demonstrated skills and fit for the job.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,095,361 times
I got a job at FT. Carson building engines, and I had no prior military experience whatsoever. I just kept being persistant. I didn't know anyone that worked there, hell before that, I had never even stepped foot on Ft. Carson.

That job really helped to boost my resume, as it allowed me land a job in Iraq with a private defense contractor. Even that though, only requires a public trust clearance (which is next to nothing)

Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hochhasd View Post
Do you think it would help me if I already have access to a military base overseas in which I could have a captain I know let me speak with the DOD career person in the office? I was once military,but do not get any benefits because my service was short. I received an honorable discharge,but can not claim veteran's preference.
Yes people with military experience are always given preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or