U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,852,908 times
this should be on the politics forum. political discussions aren't generally considered appropriate in the state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 10:00 PM

1,254 posts, read 988,691 times
I want to know how "OUR STATE POLITICIANS" voted on healthcare so we can become educated about Colorado.
I'll post on the main forum, but I doubt anyone reading the "political forum' will know or care about our local politics. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 PM

102 posts, read 178,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Steiner View Post
Unfortunately my Rep. didn't, but my Seantor did! To think...someday I may be able to go to the doctor and NOT worry about my insurance company trying to get rid of me if the doctor finds something wrong!
Yes.... won't that be lovely. I think maybe somebody forgot to tell you about the 50% policy premium hike that will go along with that.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,496,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy914 View Post
Yes.... won't that be lovely. I think maybe somebody forgot to tell you about the 50% policy premium hike that will go along with that.
I expect the insurance companies to change their rates just like the credit card companies did before their new rules went into effect this month. I'm also expecting employers to find every loophole possible to cut back on the number of people they have to insure.

What will this mean for Colorado? My guess is fewer full time jobs, more offshoring of jobs, higher insurance rates, and more people being priced out of the lower wage areas (like Sterling) as their wealth is funneled off to DC for the next four years before the benefits start to kick in.

9 News has a list of who voted yes and no.
9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | Colorado's representatives react to health care reform passage

Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I expect the insurance companies to change their rates just like the credit card companies did before their new rules went into effect this month. I'm also expecting employers to find every loophole possible to cut back on the number of people they have to insure.

What will this mean for Colorado? My guess is fewer full time jobs, more offshoring of jobs, higher insurance rates, and more people being priced out of the lower wage areas (like Sterling) as their wealth is funneled off to DC for the next four years before the benefits start to kick in.

9 News has a list of who voted yes and no.
9NEWS.com | Denver | Colorado's Online News Leader | Colorado's representatives react to health care reform passage
Exactly..... I hope I'm wrong, but I think this bill's effect on the economy will be the opposite of what they were hoping for. And unlike the credit card companies, there is nothing in this bill to regulate insurance premium rates, so brace yourselves.
Speaking as one of the millions of uninsured, I can tell you already this bill screws me, because I won't be able to afford the type of policy they're mandating, so I'll have to pay the stupid IRS penalty each year. Lame.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 AM

7,480 posts, read 11,050,611 times
I was listening to the health care hullabaloo on one of the networks on Sunday. The talking head was referring to a family where both husband and wife lost their jobs and thus their health insurance. They have a young son who needs heart surgery with a price tag of $150,000. He rambled on and on about health insurance and the lack thereof, but never once questioned the $150,000 being charged for the surgery, never once asked how much does it REALLY cost to perform a heart surgery, never once did he question the HUGE profit being made off of someone elses misfortune. The entire health insurance fiasco has utterly failed to address this issue. The battle has been about who pays for these ridiculous fees, and nothing about getting the greed out of health care. Until the greed issue is addressed, nothing of substance will be accomplished, and we-the-people will keep getting screwed by the corporatocry that this country has become.

However, I am happy to see that no one can be denied coverage or dropped for a pre-existing condition. That is a move in the right direction. I am willing to pay slighty higher taxes to support this, though I'm hoping that the challange to the mandatory requirement to carry health insurance wins out. Forcing a citizen to purchase health insurance makes this bill less appealing to me, but overall, I'm glad it passed. Now let's get the price gouging for medical care out of the system, then it will be a bill of real substance.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 AM

1,254 posts, read 988,691 times
See post: "JOB LOSS"

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-23-2010 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Added a link.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 PM

16,448 posts, read 10,312,572 times
Vote against every encumbent, every time, forever. That is the only way we will have term limits, eliminate the guild of professional political criminals, and take back our government from the special interests.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I was listening to the health care hullabaloo on one of the networks on Sunday. The talking head was referring to a family where both husband and wife lost their jobs and thus their health insurance. They have a young son who needs heart surgery with a price tag of $150,000. He rambled on and on about health insurance and the lack thereof, but never once questioned the $150,000 being charged for the surgery, never once asked how much does it REALLY cost to perform a heart surgery, never once did he question the HUGE profit being made off of someone elses misfortune. The entire health insurance fiasco has utterly failed to address this issue. The battle has been about who pays for these ridiculous fees, and nothing about getting the greed out of health care. Until the greed issue is addressed, nothing of substance will be accomplished, and we-the-people will keep getting screwed by the corporatocry that this country has become.

However, I am happy to see that no one can be denied coverage or dropped for a pre-existing condition. That is a move in the right direction. I am willing to pay slighty higher taxes to support this, though I'm hoping that the challange to the mandatory requirement to carry health insurance wins out. Forcing a citizen to purchase health insurance makes this bill less appealing to me, but overall, I'm glad it passed. Now let's get the price gouging for medical care out of the system, then it will be a bill of real substance.
You're correct; this bill does not directly address the basic problem of the high cost of healthcare, but in an indirect way, it was an ill-conceived attempt at doing so. A couple of points:

1. As much as I hate hospitals and what they charge, I don't think they're making the exorbitant profits we think they are. Hospitals all over the country are in serious financial trouble, or even closing.

2. The reason we pay so much for healthcare: because hospitals never collect a cent on a huge percentage of their bills. Even the ones covered by insurance, the insurance company will pay them pennies on the dollar for their share, and the patient's share of the bill- usually 30% or so- may never be collected. Some countries have hospitals that when you're admitted... you whip out your credit card and pay up front, or they throw your butt on the street and let you die (heaven forbid). In a hospital like this, that same heart surgery might be $10,000. And I'm not talking about third-world country witch doctors here either. So,

3. Ultimately, this bill WAS an attempt at controlling the COST, by forcing everybody to have insurance plans with a very high level of coverage, thus eliminating bad debt to hospitals, and in theory allowing the cost to come way down.

4. The problem: who, among the uninsured, is going to be able to afford these super-policies that cover pre-existing conditions and all?

5. The answer: who the heck knows. Not me, or I'd be running for congress. All I know is I'm uninsured and now I have to pay the IRS a penalty in addition to paying my family's medical bills on my own.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:04 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,328,921 times
Personally I have issues with this bill though mostly for reasons other than those of so many others opposed to it. However, I've been very curious about the penalties for non-compliance regarding the mandate. Page 336 of the bill offers some fascinating insights:

Quote:
‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—The penalty provided by this
5 section shall be paid upon notice and demand by the
6 Secretary, and except as provided in paragraph (2),
7 shall be assessed and collected in the same manner as
8 an assessable penalty under subchapter B of chapter
9 68.
10 ‘‘(2) SPECIAL RULES.—Notwithstanding any
11 other provision of law—
12 ‘‘(A) WAIVER OF CRIMINAL PENALTIES.—In
13 the case of any failure by a taxpayer to timely
14 pay any penalty imposed by this section, such
15 taxpayer shall not be subject to any criminal
16 prosecution or penalty with respect to such fail
17 ure.
18 ‘‘(B) LIMITATIONS ON LIENS AND LEVIES.—
19 The Secretary shall not—
20 ‘‘(i) file notice of lien with respect to
21 any property of a taxpayer by reason of
22 any failure to pay the penalty imposed by
23 this section, or
24 ‘‘(ii) levy on any such property with
25 respect to such failure.’’.
In other words (and several pages above if you require clarification that this does pertain to mandate penalties), if you don't pay, the government will...uh...do nothing. You just have to live with yourself that you've been very naughty.

In fairness and in spite of the date listed on the document, I'm not sure if the above section is what is contained in the current, signed document (if anyone can find the pdf on that, a link would be appreciated.) I do encourage any Coloradans (and Americans in general) to at least skim the bill the at some point. Yes it's long, but it beats assuming you know what's in it because Fox, CNN or anyone in the Congress said so. For a people that distrusts it's government so much we sure put a lot of trust in people whose livelihoods depend on controversy and selling ad space.

It is interesting however that we have a mandate that is backed up by the threat of nothing. Though I didn't do a completely thorough search, I didn't notice any reference to the IRS in the document. Frankly, that's fine by me. Nevertheless, I think we've got a bill that doesn't do a whole lot to solve the problem. How's that affect Colorado? Beats the heck out of me. At least we can't be booted for pre-existing conditions anymore. Altitude sickness is a major bummer ;-)

Last edited by zenkonami; 03-24-2010 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: Misspelling "whose"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado