U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 PM

13 posts, read 13,560 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Pueblo area from MD. We are willing to live within an hour of Pueblo. Where is the warmest, greenest (most lush), place to live, and where are the best school systems.
We love to be outside and are looking forward to escaping Maryland winters. We also want to find an awesome place to raise our kids.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Status: "CSU P football at the NCAA national championship!" (set 13 hours ago)

10,360 posts, read 11,942,277 times
First off welcome to Pueblo!

Colorado is semi-arid so there is no lush green area here however Pueblo is warm with mild winters and hot summer days and cool nights. Pueblo is a great place to raise kids and personally I liked the school system as I feel I received a great education that allowed me to go on and get a MBA. So since you are working in Pueblo I would suggest you live in the Pueblo MSA. There are a lot of areas you could look at as I would suggest the south side or the north side. If you like older homes I would suggest the neighborhood just north of downtown as it was picked as the best historic neighborhood in Colorado. If you like suburbs I would suggest Pueblo West or Beulah, it is a farther drive but in the foothills.

I started this thread on Pueblo so you might want to look at it then if you have any question feel free to ask!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ml#post6736580

Old 03-23-2010, 08:38 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,170,291 times
Canon City!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 AM

2,438 posts, read 5,106,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingchic View Post
Where is the warmest, greenest (most lush), place to live...
Louisiana.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 PM

299 posts, read 518,544 times
Josseppie will tell you all of the good things about the city, so let me touch on some of the things that are negative about it.

You won't be able to find a lush and green area in this region. As Josseppie said, we have a semi-arid climate around here, so our terrain is brown from mid-September through early to mid-April.

Our Winters are fairly mild compared to the rest of the state. We get anywhere from 4-8 big snowstorms every year, but they're not nearly as bad as they are in areas to the north and west of us. We will get a major blizzard once every two or three years, but not nearly as frequently as what you are used to in Maryland.

I'm not sure if you have visited Pueblo yet, but coming from Maryland, the first thing you will realize when you go out in public is how it feels like you have crossed the Mexican border. If I had to guess, I would say that about 60% of the people who live in the city are Hispanic, even though the U.S. Census numbers might say something different.

For a city that has a major university (CSU-Pueblo) and a community college (Pueblo Community College), Pueblo has a very mediocre public school system. I highly suggest that you do not send your kids to any District 70 school, as they recently decided to go to a 4-day school week. Pueblo City Schools (Formerly District 60) has a long track record of mediocre and below average standardized testing scores, and not many of the students who graduate complete college within 5 years of graduating from high school. Check out the thread below for more details about the school system.

Good Education in Pueblo?

Josseppie's descriptions of the best areas to live in are accurate, but keep in mind that all of the public schools in Pueblo West are governed by District 70, and I believe that Beulah only has a K-5 school, so all of the students have to commute to Pueblo after 5th grade.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 PM

8,670 posts, read 19,322,178 times
Why are you moving? I grew up in MD - the only lush you'll find is in a nursery or at the bar.

A hour is terrible. Don't do that to your family. Work to live.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 AM

Thanks for all of the input! I expect to work at home a few days/week, so that's why I'm willing to have a longer commute. A good school system would be worth the commute for me.
So, in Maryland, it is too cold to enjoy being outside, without multiple layers, from November through March. March can sometimes be ok, but sometimes it's bad, and sometimes April and May are cold, too!
How does this compare to Pueblo or Canon City? Is there anywhere that doesn't get too cold in the winter?

Old 03-25-2010, 12:23 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,381,662 times
wanderingchic wrote:
Is there anywhere that doesn't get too cold in the winter?
Southern California, most of Florida, the Arizona & New Mexico low deserts, and Hawaii come to mind. I'm sure there are other places, but not in Colorado. Varying intensities of winter occurr everywhere in the state....but winter is usually alot sunnier than winter in Maryland, making it feel more pleasant.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,776,617 times
Wandering, I moved out here from Maryland, too. I strongly urge you to visit Pueblo before deciding that's where you want to move to. I originally moved to Colorado to be a ski bum, and lived in the mountains for several years. By then I didn't want to return to the east coast.

Living in Colorado is way different than the east. It's a really different culture, and I live in Denver (aka "big city"). I've visited Pueblo but don't live there, so I can't tell you what it would be like. But driving around it really doesn't look like it has a lot to offer. The difference in climate between Colorado and Maryland is that we also get snow from September to May or June, but in between snowstorms the sun is out and it's very pleasant outside. Spring is 60s one day and a blizzard the next, and summers are liveable with the low humidity.

You will definitely miss the greenery of the east coast. As others have said, the area to the east of the mountains is high plains and it is semi arid. Trees are few and far between, which means you get to see lots of wide open blue sky. And you are nowhere near an ocean or any large body of water.

If you are truly looking for someplace that truly "doesn't get too cold in the winter", then you shouldn't be looking at Colorado. Just because places are in the southern part of the state, doesn't mean that they don't get as cold as the rest of the state.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 PM

I guess what I really want to know is how much better is the winter in Pueblo than Maryland. I can't stand the winters in Maryland and want to live somewhere that is significantly different. I realize that Southern CA and AZ would be ideal. But, I have this opportunity in Pueblo. So how much better are the winters in Pueblo (or Canon City, or other close by areas) than Maryland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado