Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 7,935 times

Advertisements

Our family is planning a 1 mos vacation this summer. Besides my road cycling NEEDS (I log 2500 miles a year) we want to be close to things for a young family to do. Kids are 2 and 4. We are active and would do some hiking as well.

Would like to stay close to civilization, not in a remote wilderness.

Time frame is Aug\Sep...

Any suggestions where best to stay? (I don't want to drive far for cycling)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:06 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
One of the places you might want to visit is the Colorado State Fair in Pueblo. It runs from Friday August August 27 to Monday September 6, labor day. They have concerts, rodeo, rides, exhibits etc. Here is the web page.

The Colorado State Fair - Calendar

Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
You might enjoy spending a few days at the Crested Butte International Hostel. There are a variety of hiking and biking trails in the CB area, and then you have the town of Crested Butte itself for family activities.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I think your best choice is some of Colorado's ski towns as they have all the amenities you want and plenty of like minded bikers. Vail has a paved bike path that runs 50 miles over to Breckenridge for instance. Goes up and over Vail Pass and then down and over to Breck. And you don't have to worry about getting run over.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:26 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think your best choice is some of Colorado's ski towns as they have all the amenities you want and plenty of like minded bikers. Vail has a paved bike path that runs 50 miles over to Breckenridge for instance. Goes up and over Vail Pass and then down and over to Breck. And you don't have to worry about getting run over.
Indeed. There's a reason Lance lives in Vail. Or is it Aspen?

But it will get really expensive to stay in a place like that for a whole month. You might be able to find a decent price on some rentals within driving distance. Please let us know what you find.

Or you could just stay in Pueblo for dirt cheap and go to the State Fair all month!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:49 PM

229 posts, read 750,483 times
Summit County - Dillon, Silverthorne, Frisco, or Breckenridge. They are close to civilization and have lots of biking and family activities all summer. You can probably find an affordable 1 month rental if you contact some owners directly - a guaranteed 1 month rental at a modest price may be more beneficial to the owner (versus owner renting it short-term to multiple people with higher price with lots of vacant days and cleaning bills.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:08 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Indeed. There's a reason Lance lives in Vail. Or is it Aspen?

But it will get really expensive to stay in a place like that for a whole month. You might be able to find a decent price on some rentals within driving distance. Please let us know what you find.

Or you could just stay in Pueblo for dirt cheap and go to the State Fair all month!
In the summertime there are plenty of furnished condos that can be rented for around $1000-$1500 from property management agencies, no lease or anything just a straight 1 month rental. For a one month vacation that is completely reasonable.

Pueblo is not a town I'm going to recommend to someone for a month vacation. They'll need another month vacation after that to recover.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:22 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
wanneroo...hahaha!!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Pueblo is not a town I'm going to recommend to someone for a month vacation. They'll need another month vacation after that to recover.
I dunno it could work out well if you're a professional bull rider and you happen to get gored in the rodeo.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:34 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
wanneroo wrote:
Since Pueblo has an unlimited supply of cheap water. Pueblo would actually be a great vacation spot for people who enjoy watering lawns. The whole family could sit in their lawn chairs, passing the watering hose from person to person, sprinkling the lawn all day long for a month. Now that's a real vacation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado