U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 9,606 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Las Vegas and have lived here my whole life. I am so sick of it. I absolutely hate it. I hate that my kids cannot go out and play because the crime here is so bad. I hate that I am scared to go shopping and walk around the block. I am tired of the big city life and how everyone here is always in such a big hurry and rude. I am so tired of watching the news and it being "normal" to see home invasions and people getting killed everyday.

My husband grew up in Colorado and he too is ready to move. He is currently laid off because construction is so bad here. I do accounting and have a really great job here so I am nervous about leaving it especially right now with the way the economy is.

I'm wondering if my vision where I want to live is even really out there. I want to move to Colorado to a small town where kids can go out and play and feel safe and people are friendly. I love the country so ideally would like to live surrounded by trees and mountains. I want to live in a place where the outdoors is right there. Does this exist in Colorado and if so where should I look?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 02:35 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,111,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasmommy2 View Post
I'm wondering if my vision where I want to live is even really out there. I want to move to Colorado to a small town where kids can go out and play and feel safe and people are friendly. I love the country so ideally would like to live surrounded by trees and mountains. I want to live in a place where the outdoors is right there. Does this exist in Colorado and if so where should I look?
Yes, it does.
Palmer Lake Photo Tour

I normally don't like to encourage people to think the Palmer Lake is all that great since the last thing we need is for it to turn into another Aspen, Frisco or even Woodland Park. I also usually tend to feel that most people who are aching to escape wherever they're from are just looking for greener pastures that don't really exist. HOWEVER, in your case I feel a little differently. I've been to Vegas (not just the strip) enough times to know that it's probably a pretty horrid place to raise children. Also, your desires are simple enough. You're not looking to have it all, so I do believe there may be a better you home for you.... somewhere. The hard part of course may be finding reliable work and nice housing that you can easily afford, but it's possible to do that in time. If you ever find yourself near our little hill town, send me a direct message and if I'm home I'll give you the dime tour myself.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,113,571 times
I don't blame you for wanting out of Las Vegas. I consider it one of the most loathsome cities in the United States. That said, your dream of living in rural Colorado is a most difficult one now. I'm fortunate enough to live in rural Colorado because I have long family and business ties here--otherwise it would be nearly impossible. Proof of that is that most of the younger people I know (under 30-35) have had to leave rural Colorado to find work. Two of my co-workers children, ironically, relocated from here to Las Vegas because they got jobs there. The job market is rural Colorado is pretty dismal right now, especially for people who do not have any local ties to the area or its employers.

While most metro areas in Colorado are not the pit that Las Vegas is, they all have many of the same issues that you are trying to escape--gangs, crime, mediocre schools in many places, etc. Those issues can especially crop up in the less expensive/more affordable areas as far as real estate prices go. Even in the metro areas, finding work will be no picnic.

This is just a very trying times to try to relocate anywhere.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:40 PM

3,717 posts, read 4,197,416 times
how about Henderson, nv? i heard there is a lot of great and safe subdivisions... not all of las vegas metro is bad lol there is a lot of nice places to live

Old 03-23-2010, 04:48 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,031,061 times
I think you'll find living surrounded by trees and mountains is going to be a tough deal as Colorado isn't set up like that. Places with schools, jobs and regular houses are down on the high prairie.

For a lot of people that have seen pictures or movies, the key to understand is where Colorado's trees exist is also where winter hangs about for 9 months of the year and much of it is government owned and the rest that is private owned isn't exactly cheap, accessible or easy to live on.

There are some options like the foothills above Denver, but those areas have their own issues.

Colorado is either very urban or very rural. It's not set up like back east with lovely little small towns every couple of miles.

My relatives in construction in Colorado are trying to figure out what to do next with their lives. The big boom is over, there is tons of supply and not a lot of money about to build anything anyways. There are a few projects going in the ski town I am from and when those finish, that's it. Everything else that was planned has been axed and/or delayed to sometime 10-20 years away, if that.

It is possible to make it in rural Colorado, but you have to prepare yourself to have multiple jobs and earn less income compared to expenses and you'll need to love winter. It is a tough deal & few can make a long term go of it.

If you are serious then the best thing to do is visit and travel around and see for yourself. Then come back with specific questions and concerns.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,140,086 times
I'll have to agree with Mr TDonkey. What you describe can be found, we did. The difficult part will be employment. Living in Palmer Lake or Monument will give you access to Colorado Springs or the south end of Denver. While you have to be vigilant about your kid's safety, we feel pretty confident about our daughter's safety while around the house. And she's always accompanied by our dog.
BTW> we're in Henderson right now for spring break. I understand what you're feeling. I'm way more nervous here and won't let her out of my sight.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,271,029 times
There are lots of other places in the country that could fit with what you're looking for. You might want to broaden your horizons a little and even consider places back East like VA, which has beautiful country and a relatively decent economy. The tough thing is that construction is bad everywhere.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,202 times
I was just in Fort Collins, Colorado, and think it is very close to what you described. There is LOTS of open land, trees, and mountains. Recreation is everywhere. It is very safe and friendly. The only thing that isn't exactly what you mentioned is the town is not a "small town," but still small enough. It has a small town feel to it, but has some major industries, CSU, and a generous population. I've read that it is growing, but when I was there, I felt like there was ample space.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:34 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,113,571 times
It always cracks me up when someone posts their recommendation for a place based upon visiting there once. That is the blind leading the blind. Now, I have numerous friends in Fort Collins, lived for several years not far from it, and still go there on business semi-regularly. The economy there is rough, like most places now, it is suffering from the effects of years of out-of-control growth and sprawl. The college is a positive influence on the town for the most part, but it also floods the area with grads who want to stay there who are looking for jobs. It's one of the nicer cities on the Front Range, but it's no small town.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,031,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
It always cracks me up when someone posts their recommendation for a place based upon visiting there once. That is the blind leading the blind. Now, I have numerous friends in Fort Collins, lived for several years not far from it, and still go there on business semi-regularly. The economy there is rough, like most places now, it is suffering from the effects of years of out-of-control growth and sprawl. The college is a positive influence on the town for the most part, but it also floods the area with grads who want to stay there who are looking for jobs. It's one of the nicer cities on the Front Range, but it's no small town.
Fort Collins is not too bad but it's still Front Range prairie and not forested mountain country with burbling streams. The job market isn't too good right now. I've got a good friend living in his car there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado