U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:59 AM

12,845 posts, read 23,236,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Why do people always begin their search outside the area of their employment and then work their way in instead of the other way around? To me, commute time is one of the biggest QoL factors there is so I could do without the plushest 3-car garage home or the nicest, newest mall around if it meant my commute time was essentially null.
This needs to be posted at the top of every newbie thread.

Kudos x 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbanicks View Post
Yes, work zip is 80112
I called it.

Englewood 80112 is unincorporated Arapahoe County. Welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM

654 posts, read 1,758,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bckr View Post
OK, let's see if I can shed some light on your questions. Someone suggest Roxborough, but I think that is too far our for you. Also, the taxes there are out of sight and the water isn't cheap, either. That's a Douglas County issue that you also need to explore. Most of Douglas County gets their water from an aquifier that's been dropping about 30 feet per year. No one knows when the s... is going to hit the fan. One of the dailies did a series about the water issue seven years ago and estimated it would be about 10 to 20 years before it became a crisis. Well, that guess is now down to 3 to 13 years.

But I'm getting off the subject. A place you might want to check out is Trailmark. It's just west of Chatfield Resevoir and they get their water from the City of Littleton. In fact, they are a part of the City of Littleton as they agreeded to be annexed years ago so they could get water. They have newer housing. Most of Littleton proper consists of older housing, however, there is a section on the NE corner of Santa Fe and Mineral that has newer housing ( about 10 to 12 years old). The area north of C-40 is referred to as South Suburban Central. It has generally larger yards but is older than your criteria states. To the south of that is Highlands Ranch, which has a decent water supply, so you shouldn't be affected

Your price range should give you some flexibilty where you can buy a home that backs to a park or open space. As far as not being close to your neighbor, forget about it. It's just the way it is here. For a couple of hundered thousand more, you will have more options with acreage.

Parker wouldn't be a bad drive, but then you have to deal with the water issue. Same goes for Castle Rock, and of course all the small neighborhoods in between.

Highlands Ranch has good rec facilities as they have their own recreational district to provide those services. South Suburban Central has the South Suburban Rec District and south Jefferson County has Foothills for that same purpose.

You're going to find that you'll have to bend somewhat on your wish list to narrow it down to the items that are the most important. Obviously, to go fishing your husband is going to have to do some driving. Same with some of those other activites. I know of people whose kids go to Castle Rock and and they say they get tired of all the driving. I imagine the same thing is true of Parker, for some people. Denver has a lot of things to do, also, so I wouldn't try and isolate yourself too far from what the city center provides.

There's a place called Ken-Caryl Ranch that is about 10 minutes beyond what your husband's drive limit is, but it offers a lot of what you're looking for. I would check that out, too.
Another good post - however to clarify when you say get your water from Littleton it really means get your water from Denver Water because Denver Water supplies water to Littleton city limits.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Livecontent is right regarding Englewood. They were able to annex that area around DTC many years ago and IMHO that might have been the only thing keeping Englewood afloat tax wise. For many years Cinderella City was the best shopping mall going. Then in the late 70's/early 80's more and more malls were being built in the south metro area (Southwest Plaza, Southglenn Mall), and when the Cherry Creek mall came in it was curtains for cin city. And all the other businesses along south Broadway don't pull in much tax revenue, that's for sure. DTC is at least a 20 minute drive to Englewood's city limits.
Englewood never annexed any land around DTC and they get no tax revenue from it - they would have to pass through other cities along the way! You had it right when you said it was 20 minutes from DTC to Englewood city limits.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
This needs to be posted at the top of every newbie thread.

Kudos x 100.

I called it.

Englewood 80112 is unincorporated Arapahoe County. Welcome.
And 80112 also encompasses parts of Centennial and Douglas County.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 PM

12,845 posts, read 23,236,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
And 80112 also encompasses parts of Centennial and Douglas County.
That's right! Good lookin' out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado