U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 7,603 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Colorado from California. We really want something new and we really want seasons. We curreny live right on the beach but consider ourselves more "mountain" or "tree" people. We are quiet and respectful people. I have been on here reading some other threads about people thinking about moving to Colorado and I kind of get the feeling that people in Colorado aren't very pleased about others moving to the state and especially are not fond of Californians, is this true? We are hoping to get away from all of the judgemental people but I don't really want to move to a different state if there are just going to be the same type of people. Any help with this huge decision would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM

10,535 posts, read 11,632,560 times
Don't judge the people who live here by a few posters in an interweb forum. Now I suppose if you moved to a small town of a couple hundred, drove around in BMW's, and talked about how boring it is, probably. If you arrived, maintained a low key lifestyle, and smiled, waved and said hello, you'll be fine. I'm a newcomer to Colorado and have felt very welcomed, in person. VISIT first, and spend a lot of time here both in summer AND winter. Especially winter. I learned Colorado has a lot of different areas, too. Personally, I'm fond of the western slope. Love the high desert look and feel, the mountains and the dry air. If yall need jobs, well good luck. None here.

Anyway, good luck.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:32 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,108,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
VISIT first, and spend a lot of time here both in summer AND winter.
100%

Visit, visit, visit. We must have come out nearly a dozen times before we finally made the big move from CA, and that made all the difference once we go here. And don't just do fun stuff while you're here... Experience rush hour, run errands and sit around feeling bored, you know, like real life.

And don't worry about judgmental people, they're everywhere. As long as you don't constantly advertise that you're from CA or brag about how much better it is there, you can fit right in.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,603 times
Thank you for your help and making me feel like people won't make me feel bad. I would never ever act like I'm better than anybody! I would love to visit first but unfortuanetly for me my husband has already been accepted to a fire academy out there and is very hard headed. He is pretty motivated to move. But luckily we are good at adapting.
As per the job situation. I have found that there aren't many jobs anywhere. But thank you for the heads up.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,690 times
I have lived in Colorado the majority of my life and if you're looking for seasons, I guarantee you will love it here. People are not horribly judgmental here, here is a place where you smile and say hello to the people you pass in the streets.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 13,865 times
My husband and I are originally from California. We both love it there, in fact we visit at least once a year. However, since moving to Colorado 5 years ago, I can not picture myself raising my children any other place in the country. Colorado is beyond beautiful and the seasons are simply amazing.

Colorado does have a stigma against Californians to be bratty, shallow, and "valley girl" like.

However it was not a big deal for us when we moved here. I can't speak about everyone but the people I've gotten to know and the vibe I get is that Coloradans are very athletic, outdoorsy, warm, people once you get to know them.

But...The Raider/Bronco war will live on and the Laker/Nuggets brawl will never cease...

Goodluck!

Old 03-27-2010, 11:40 PM

11 posts, read 12,376 times
KGillson, congrats on the move. My wife and I havn't moved yet but we have visited several times, also Wyoming and Montana. I think the general consensus is that they love it when you visit but love it when you leave!! They will give you the evil eye until you have proven yourself. What I mean is that they hope you are not that person that wants to change Colorado into the state you just left. (Broke, liberal, social programs run a muck, bloated state government.) I don't want to sound condescending, but be aware that you are leaving a state that had its pros and cons and now you get to get used to a new states pros and cons!! Good luck in your move.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:56 AM

447 posts, read 1,391,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mss9673 View Post
KGillson, congrats on the move. My wife and I havn't moved yet but we have visited several times, also Wyoming and Montana. I think the general consensus is that they love it when you visit but love it when you leave!! They will give you the evil eye until you have proven yourself. What I mean is that they hope you are not that person that wants to change Colorado into the state you just left. (Broke, liberal, social programs run a muck, bloated state government.) I don't want to sound condescending, but be aware that you are leaving a state that had its pros and cons and now you get to get used to a new states pros and cons!! Good luck in your move.
Nicely Said

Old 03-28-2010, 02:40 PM

18 posts, read 28,568 times
Default Don't believe the hype......

I moved to Denver 4 1/2 years ago. I love it here, the weather is wonderful...we experience all four seasons and I love the snow! I'm a Texan, born and raised and when I rolled in to town; I was met with people flipping me off on the highway. I hadn't been in town for 30 minutes when my daughter and I encountered this type of behavior from some angry folks. As soon as I had my vehicle registered and had the Texas plates removed; I had no problems!

Coloradans complain about people from California and Texas all the time. But if you ask them where they're from.....it turns out that most that I have encountered are all from other places as well! (WTH??)

Just live your life, ignore the nonsense and enjoy all that there is to do here. The shops, the restaurants, the night life, the mountains, the gorgeous people here.....it's amazing. Respect others and stand your ground.....people talk a good game; but when it comes right down to it.....they're just talking.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:11 AM

147 posts, read 181,490 times
Most folks in CO are fairly laid back. The anti-transplant attitude stems from what mss9673 said. If newcomers bring their arrogance and disrespect for local culture and issues, then disrespect will be returned. If you respect others, you will fit in just fine. Don't know what was up with that Texas thing. Probably a bunch of Eagles fans. Good luck Kgillson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado