U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Status: "CSU P football at the NCAA national championship!" (set 3 days ago)

10,367 posts, read 11,973,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The reality is at last beginning to sink in. It's a new, difficult, and darker age and adaptation will be required to survive. Real hands on skills will be needed. Welders, machinists, mechanics, etc. Necessary services that will be required regardless of the state of the economy. The much ballyhooed "service economy" was unsustainable. At some point real work has to be performed, and not from your cozy home office. There is no need for personal trainers, massage "therapists", or beauticians when no one has a job or money. Same for call center ops and burger flippers. Many people have been given a paycheck to sit in a cubicle forwarding jokes and surfing the internet for a number of years. That time has come to an end. Learn a skill or face really hard times. Farmers and ranchers are at the center of the new universe.
I hate to be so down beat but it seems clear to me that the handwriting is on the wall.
That is not the issue in Pueblo, in fact the health care industry was one of the stabilizing forces in Pueblo during this recession. Pueblo faces the same kind of issue most cities do around 100,000 people. They are larger then the small towns so people come here thinking they can find jobs but since we are not a large city, 250,000 or more people, its still hard to find a job. With the growth of CSU Pueblo and the large companies moving in and large developers looking into Pueblo we are in a transition but unfortunately that does not help the graduates of CSU Pueblo now but will help the ones who graduate later this decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 AM

8,177 posts, read 16,235,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The reality is at last beginning to sink in. It's a new, difficult, and darker age and adaptation will be required to survive. Real hands on skills will be needed. Welders, machinists, mechanics, etc. Necessary services that will be required regardless of the state of the economy. The much ballyhooed "service economy" was unsustainable. At some point real work has to be performed, and not from your cozy home office. There is no need for personal trainers, massage "therapists", or beauticians when no one has a job or money. Same for call center ops and burger flippers. Many people have been given a paycheck to sit in a cubicle forwarding jokes and surfing the internet for a number of years. That time has come to an end. Learn a skill or face really hard times. Farmers and ranchers are at the center of the new universe.
I hate to be so down beat but it seems clear to me that the handwriting is on the wall.
You should add to your list of worthless enterprises that of land development and real estate huckstering. They really produce nothing of true productive value--in fact, they are just another debt-producing, public service sucking, consumption-driven misallocation of ever more scarce resources--financial and natural. Yet, Josseppie and his ilk still embrace them like they are the Messiah. If he and the folks he claims want to see a place like Pueblo prosper want to make it a better place, maybe they should be looking at how to make the steel plant back into the large, but productive enterprise that it once was; or how to revitalize the mothballed transcontinental railroad infrastructure than once called at Pueblo; and so on. That actually might yield some fruit, instead of chasing government-supported "industry" that can't make it without the taxpayers funding it, or pimping for more non-productive residential real estate development.

As to the original question, "Can the job market in Pueblo be any worse?" Yes, it can be--much worse--there and anyplace else. All we have to do is to keep chasing the same failed living arrangement model and debt- and consumption-ridden lifestyle that we continue to try to embrace. That will make sure that things can get MUCH WORSE--for a very long time.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You should add to your list of worthless enterprises that of land development and real estate huckstering. They really produce nothing of true productive value--in fact, they are just another debt-producing, public service sucking, consumption-driven misallocation of ever more scarce resources--financial and natural. Yet, Josseppie and his ilk still embrace them like they are the Messiah. If he and the folks he claims want to see a place like Pueblo prosper want to make it a better place, maybe they should be looking at how to make the steel plant back into the large, but productive enterprise that it once was; or how to revitalize the mothballed transcontinental railroad infrastructure than once called at Pueblo; and so on. That actually might yield some fruit, instead of chasing government-supported "industry" that can't make it without the taxpayers funding it, or pimping for more non-productive residential real estate development.

As to the original question, "Can the job market in Pueblo be any worse?" Yes, it can be--much worse--there and anyplace else. All we have to do is to keep chasing the same failed living arrangement model and debt- and consumption-ridden lifestyle that we continue to try to embrace. That will make sure that things can get MUCH WORSE--for a very long time.
Pueblo can't go back in the past with the industries that made us great prior to the 1970's so Pueblo needs to look to the future with the new industries that will help make us a great city in the 21st century.

I think developments like Pueblo Springs with the tech park, the Colorado Energy Park, CSU Pueblo including Thunder Village and the possible R&D park, Pueblo Community College, The Riverwalk/ Pueblo Convention Center, St. Charles Industrial Park with the new alternative energy companies like Vesta's and hopefully Helios, and the possible solar park by the depot will help us reach that goal.

I do think this decade is a defining moment for Pueblo that will set the stage for how we will develop for the next 80 years as for the first time since the economic collapse outside developers are looking at us again. Being the optimist I am I think you will see a foundation set that will help guide the growth of Pueblo that will continue to make national headlines in the following decades. We will see.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 AM

299 posts, read 519,814 times
There is another theory that I have, but I'm not sure if it holds much ground.

In many cases, the person who is in charge of hiring for some businesses in Pueblo only has a high school diploma. So, they do not want to hire someone who is more "educated" than they are because of the fear that that person may eventually become their boss. This is just a theory, but the more jobs I apply for, the more I feel like this may be the case.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post

In many cases, the person who is in charge of hiring for some businesses in Pueblo only has a high school diploma. So, they do not want to hire someone who is more "educated" than they are because of the fear that that person may eventually become their boss. This is just a theory, but the more jobs I apply for, the more I feel like this may be the case.
I could see that but that is because Pueblo lacks the jobs that require a college education and that was because until recently Puebloans did not need a college education to make a good living. In fact Pueblo did not have a 4 year college till the mid 1960's and a university till later and it just recently became part of the Colorado State system. Now as you note CSU Pueblo has a lot of graduates that have a hard time finding work in Pueblo, that has not gone unnoticed as large developers and major companies are looking at Pueblo, however, that won't help you now.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,397,326 times
goyanks57 wrote:
Can the Job Market in Pueblo Be Any Worse?
Things can always get worse....OR....better. Nothing stays the same. Change is the only constant.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,235,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post

If an employer has a brain, and most do, that's pretty much nonsense. I have a Bachelor's Degree and I regularly supervised people with Masters and some Doctorates. I've also supervised people over double my age. I've always subsribed to the theory, "Never be afraid to hire somebody smarter than you are." People who don't subscribe to that philosophy usually aren't very good supervisors or managers. I've had plenty of people work for me who were absolutely brilliant. They helped make me look good everyday.

Oh, and there is a hell of lot more to being a valuable employee than a diploma or degree. Those are just the ticket to get in the game. The real learning starts after you are working. The big problem with many of today's college grads is that they think that sheepskin automatically promises them a job above the bottom rung and a generous salary to go with it. Nope. As the old saying goes, "A smart college graduate doesn't think he knows everything; he realizes that he really doesn't know anything yet."

Old 03-29-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
If an employer has a brain, and most do, that's pretty much nonsense. I have a Bachelor's Degree and I regularly supervised people with Masters and some Doctorates. I've also supervised people over double my age. I've always subsribed to the theory, "Never be afraid to hire somebody smarter than you are." People who don't subscribe to that philosophy usually aren't very good supervisors or managers. I've had plenty of people work for me who were absolutely brilliant. They helped make me look good everyday.

Oh, and there is a hell of lot more to being a valuable employee than a diploma or degree. Those are just the ticket to get in the game. The real learning starts after you are working. The big problem with many of today's college grads is that they think that sheepskin automatically promises them a job above the bottom rung and a generous salary to go with it. Nope. As the old saying goes, "A smart college graduate doesn't think he knows everything; he realizes that he really doesn't know anything yet."
Generally speaking I have to agree with you and that is somehting all college students should learn.

That being said Pueblo has specific issues that are only found in cities about this size. Plus with a growing university, the fastest in the state, until the private sector can catch up, they usually lag a few years, there will be a employment issue with students and graduates. However, look at Boulder, many students leave the city once they graduate. In time with the pro-growth polices that Pueblo has and the new developments including a tech park I hope that is not the case here as I would prefer most of the students who go to school at CSU Pueblo continue to live and work in Pueblo once they graduate. That would make us a more successful city in the next 90 years.

One thing I noticed is the OP did not want to work at a resturant. I have noticed in many college towns a number of students work at local resturants and that might be something to look into.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-29-2010 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 04:07 PM

299 posts, read 519,814 times
^
I have applied at at least 6 full service restaurants, just not fast food restaurants. I worked in the restaurant business while I was in high school, but when I was offered a job that would pay me 3 times what I was making at restaurants, I had no choice but to take it.

Despite my experience, I'm not having any luck at all. One manager talked to me when I submitted an application and said that he couldn't hire me because I wasn't a young, good-looking female. I walked out saying "WTF!"

Old 03-29-2010, 04:43 PM

That is discrimination plain and simple.

I am not sure where you applied but did you try north of town by Eagle Ridge or in downtown? To be honest I am not sure who is hiring but there are a number of restaurants in Pueblo. Or have you thought about a bar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado