U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 PM

299 posts, read 789,874 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know, I feel like the job market in Pueblo is horrendous right now. Let me explain my current situation, and you tell me what you think I may be doing wrong.

I am a junior at CSU-Pueblo, was laid off from my job of 3+ years last February, but I was able to find myself a couple of temporary jobs in the months that followed. I was released from the second job last August, and I haven't been able to find ANY type of work in Pueblo since then. I started to pound the ground really hard at the beginning of November (Hoping I could find some sort of seasonal work if nothing else), but had no luck.

Over the last month or so, I have started to look for work with a lot more urgency because the state has cut the amount of unemployment insurance that I will be paid every week in half (long story), and I'm still having no luck. In the past month, I've applied for about 25 jobs at almost every type of business you can think of besides fast food, and I have not received a single phone call. What discourages me about this is the fact that I have 3+ years of college behind me, plus an additional 7+ years of work experience in various industries.

Most of the jobs I have applied for have been advertised through the Chieftain, Craigslist or another online source, so I know that I'm not blindly throwing job applications and resumes at businesses and hoping to get a phone call.

The latest statistics show that our unemployment rate is close to 10% with no end in sight. What do I need to do to get a job???

P.S. I am majoring in Business and Mass Communications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 05:37 PM

10,692 posts, read 28,578,928 times
My DD is a sophomore at CSU~Pueblo and she too is having a hard time with finding a temp or part time job.

My suggestion to her (and you) is find a company and volunteer some time or apply for an internship. Let them see how hard working and responsible you are.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:43 PM

138 posts, read 288,885 times
The company building the library is hiring so if you want to do some consturction work for about 10 an hour you can apply with them

Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,406,504 times
The only places I can suggest are the call centers. Perhaps go to the Mall or some of the shops downtown or the strip malls and see if they are hiring.

That being said I know the job market is tough in Pueblo and that is why I am a advocate of developments like the Pueblo Springs Ranch and the Colorado Energy Park. The only way Pueblo will have a better job market for college graduates is if we recruit companies that will hire them and developments like that should.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:08 PM

299 posts, read 789,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The only places I can suggest are the call centers. Perhaps go to the Mall or some of the shops downtown or the strip malls and see if they are hiring.

That being said I know the job market is tough in Pueblo and that is why I am a advocate of developments like the Pueblo Springs Ranch and the Colorado Energy Park. The only way Pueblo will have a better job market for college graduates is if we recruit companies that will hire them and developments like that should.
I've applied at both AT&T and R.M.S. and they were only looking to hire someone who was bilingual and/or had previous call center experience. I've thought about applying at Convergys, but I've heard so many horror stories from people I know who worked there in the past that I am pretty sketchy about it.

I know that when I graduate next May, I am going to HAVE to leave Pueblo if I want to make something of myself (and get my student loans paid off). I have some friends who have graduated in the past year or two who have had success in finding well-paying jobs in places like Denver, San Diego, and Oklahoma City. Most of them initially tried to find work here, but had no luck, even with a college degree. Don't get me wrong, if I can find myself a decent-paying job in Pueblo with potential for career advancement, I will probably take it. But right now, I think the chances of that are slim to none...

Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 PM

That is just more reason why Pueblo needs large devlopments as with CSU Pueblo growing there will be more students looking for a job and it would be nice if they could stay in Pueblo instead of leaving once they graduate.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 AM

3,460 posts, read 4,805,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
Most of the jobs I have applied for have been advertised through the Chieftain, Craigslist or another online source, so I know that I'm not blindly throwing job applications and resumes at businesses and hoping to get a phone call.
That's a lousy strategy. To sell yourself to an employer you have to put yourself in his/her shoes rather than just blindly begging for a job. Consider the following:

Employers are lazy
Employers don't want to go through a couple hundred applications and dozens of interviews just to hire somebody. Some of them are required to do so, but many others will only do it if they're having trouble finding a suitable employee.

Employees are lazy
People want to have a look at the classified ads and get the first job they apply for. There are millions of people out of work, and nearly every one of them starts their job search by looking online and in the newspaper.

If you were an overworked middle manager looking for a new employee would you rather:
A. Hire a go-getter who's been bugging you every month about when you'll have an opening
B. Go through a couple hundred resumes hoping to find someone better?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:41 AM

13,729 posts, read 21,574,402 times
But the job market does really suck and it has always sucked for certain industries in Pueblo.

Gubmint cheese deliverer, wheel chair and cane repair, healthcare, and at one time education and the lowly telemarketing/call center industry are your obvious choices.

But I don't know what your field of study is. Are you going for industrial or chemical engineering? Could you walk right into Pueblo City/County Health Dept and do IT related/LAN environment work? Do you cook? Weld? Go-Go dance? Have any other skilled labor experience? Do you have any fall-back experience? Are you a mechanic? Are you willing to get a CDL? Are you willing to flip burgers or be buggy-boy?

But I think things are tough in Colorado Springs and Denver as well. Things might even be tough in Michigan and throughout the Midwest, California, Texas, etc.

How about starting your own business?

Some people are resorting to crime. Hmm... a career in criminology or law! That's the ticket. Hey, if they throw you lemons, make lemonade.

Write us if you get work. If I could offer you a job, I would. I can't. Things are tough. But... guess what? The lights are still on. The cars are still rolling. Somebody's doing something. Some people have jobs. Somebody's making a buck. They couldn't all be medical marijuana despensers, could they?

Well over 6 years ago, there was a decent sized industry in lowly Colorado City; Columbia House. They since packed up and moved to the main plant in Indiana. My dad and some friends of mine from Colorado City/Rye lost their jobs. Guess who else lost their jobs? About 500+ employees from Walsenburg and Pueblo and beyond.

I'll go back and tell y'all again what I think the Front Range really is; Colorado Springs is Denver South and Fort Collins is Denver North. Everything in between is where all the people are, where all the jobs are and where all the water goes.

I'm not making much money now, but I refuse to move back into the Rat Race. I keep my eye out for a glimmer of hope and a better job, a better work situation. Meanwhile, what's the Power Ball up to come Wednesday and how can we make them wheel chairs turn faster?

Last edited by McGowdog; 03-29-2010 at 12:52 AM..

Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 AM

^
I agree things are tough all over, even in the larger cities like Colorado Springs and Denver. However, Pueblo has issues that go beyond the current recession. In Denver they have many large companies that hire college graduates, some you find in downtown and some are in the tech center. In Pueblo we don't have as many and that is why once this recession is over I am hoping we get a tech center as that would allow Pueblo to finally compete and get the kind of companies that hire college graduates. Since Pueblo has the states fastest growing university its time for us to have one of the largest tech parks as well. Pueblo is ready to grow up!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:59 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,570,899 times
The reality is at last beginning to sink in. It's a new, difficult, and darker age and adaptation will be required to survive. Real hands on skills will be needed. Welders, machinists, mechanics, etc. Necessary services that will be required regardless of the state of the economy. The much ballyhooed "service economy" was unsustainable. At some point real work has to be performed, and not from your cozy home office. There is no need for personal trainers, massage "therapists", or beauticians when no one has a job or money. Same for call center ops and burger flippers. Many people have been given a paycheck to sit in a cubicle forwarding jokes and surfing the internet for a number of years. That time has come to an end. Learn a skill or face really hard times. Farmers and ranchers are at the center of the new universe.
I hate to be so down beat but it seems clear to me that the handwriting is on the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or