U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:53 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Everything you are trying to escape can be found in Colorado? Are you sure about that? I escaped gray/white smoggy skies that only disappeared for a few days after a good soaking of rain. I escaped having graffiti scrawled across neighborhood walls, underpasses, park signs and even our own front yard tree. I escaped having to listen to Spanish as the predominant language. I escaped having to spend 2 hours on a freeway to travel 20 miles. I escaped overcrowded schools for my kids. I escaped an unsafe community in which to live.
And, just about EVERYTHING you list here either is in Colorado at some degree, or is on its way here with the growth that is occurring.

Graffiti? Yep.

Smog? Yes, in many places.

Horrid traffic? You can find that, too.

Overcrowded, substandard schools? Already here in some places, and coming to more.

You may have "escaped," but, sadly, the escape is likely temporary.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:02 PM

12,098 posts, read 20,344,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And, just about EVERYTHING you list here either is in Colorado at some degree, or is on its way here with the growth that is occurring.

Graffiti? Yep.

Smog? Yes, in many places.

Horrid traffic? You can find that, too.

Overcrowded, substandard schools? Already here in some places, and coming to more.

Graffiti: That is everywhere including Colorado

Smog: Not in Pueblo!

Horrid traffic: Not in Pueblo!

Overcrowded: I see plenty of open space all the time!

Schools: First your k-12 schools: people can disagree about this but I have found the schools here to be equal or better then most of the country. Is there room for improvment? Yes. But I would have no problem going to school here today if I was school age or send my children to them.

College: People come from all over to attend the universities here and we have some great ones like CSU Pueblo and UCCS growing to be the next large schools.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:05 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,106,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And moving anyplace to escape something is about as foolhardy as liquidating your investments when they drop in value only to buy something more expensive because it seems to have greater value. Buy low, sell high and move to the right place at the right time. If you don't know when or where that is, then it's probably just not time yet.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Can you explain that statement? Because, as I see it:
1. Visit first, visit during the summer AND winter. Spend more than a weekend. Talk to local residents. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
4. Bring a dump truck full of money with you. TRUE or at least not a bad idea FOR PUEBLO
5. Have a job BEFORE you move here. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
6. It costs WHAT to register my car? TRUE FOR PUEBLO
7. Bear, deer, elk and other large wild animals will wait until the last second to wander in front of your car. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
8. Bear eat people. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
9. Mountain Lions eat people. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
10. Once you think you are out hiking on a nice sunny day, it will snow. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
11. Telling local residents how great things were in California, New Jersey or Florida will not endear yourself to them. Try some humility, ask for advice and LISTEN. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
12. Colorado has very different places. The front range is very different from the western slope. The ski resort towns are very different from normal towns real people live in. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
13. Learn to drive in snow. Learn how to put chains on before winter. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
14. Yes the sun is bright, the air is thin and you're dizzy. You'll get used to it in a few months. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
15. Sunglasses, chapstick, water and sunscreen are your new best friends. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
16. Everything you are trying to escape from can be found right here in Colorado. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
1. Visit first, visit during the summer AND winter. Spend more than a weekend. Talk to local residents. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

I agree people should visit before they move, that goes for any state.

4. Bring a dump truck full of money with you. TRUE or at least not a bad idea FOR PUEBLO

Not ture, especially if you have a job as Pueblo is among the cheapest places to live in the United States!

5. Have a job BEFORE you move here. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

This would be a good idea but maybe things will be different once we get Pueblo Springs and/or the Colorado Energy Park.

6. It costs WHAT to register my car? TRUE FOR PUEBLO

I would bet its still lower then many states back east.

7. Bear, deer, elk and other large wild animals will wait until the last second to wander in front of your car. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

I have lived here most of my life and have never seen a wild animale like that cross any major highway in Pueblo.

8. Bear eat people. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

No bears in Pueblo.

9. Mountain Lions eat people. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

I have never seen a mountain lion in Pueblo.

10. Once you think you are out hiking on a nice sunny day, it will snow. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

Hard to go hiking in Pueblo since we are not in the mountains. But you can hike in the burbs and then that could happen. Just watch the news.

11. Telling local residents how great things were in California, New Jersey or Florida will not endear yourself to them. Try some humility, ask for advice and LISTEN. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

I would say do both. I know when people move here I like to hear about where they came from in case I would want to visit. Just because people move from a area does not make it a bad area.

12. Colorado has very different places. The front range is very different from the western slope. The ski resort towns are very different from normal towns real people live in. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

This is true

13. Learn to drive in snow. Learn how to put chains on before winter. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

Not a bad idea but at the same time in Pueblo the snow rarely lasts for a day or two. So most people who move from back east deal with more snow all the time.

14. Yes the sun is bright, the air is thin and you're dizzy. You'll get used to it in a few months. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

Maybe but 4,695 is not that high like it is in the mountains.

15. Sunglasses, chapstick, water and sunscreen are your new best friends. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

People everywhere should have them, we are no different.

16. Everything you are trying to escape from can be found right here in Colorado. TRUE FOR PUEBLO

Depends as Pueblo has no traffic, rat race etc. That could change in the next 10 years though but not now.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:26 PM

10,515 posts, read 11,623,635 times
This was basically a tongue and cheek post. Not meaning to offend people, Colorado or any city in Colorado.

Mods can delete this post.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:31 PM

For the record I am not offended. I am just having fun pointing out that Colorado is a diverse place and what is true about one city or region is not always ture about another.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM

6,881 posts, read 7,080,592 times
I think the list should remain and some of these posts should be deleted. I never ceases to amaze me how something so simple and quite funny can turn into such drama.

I think the list should be added to MFBE's Index thead with a title change of something like "Read this first if considering a move to CO + Index~~~~~~~~~~"

Old 03-29-2010, 03:35 PM

346 posts, read 1,417,536 times
I also am not offended. I simply wanted to point out that while Colorado is not utopia (no place is), it is a step up from where I spent the previous 40+ years.

And Jazz--I know there is smog, graffiti, etc. in Colorado. Again, it is not to the same degree as my previous location--and it will be a LONG time before it gets anywhere near, if ever. Lots of research ensured that I would not be in a community that resembled my last.

One more thing: I used the word "escape" in my post only because that was the OP's term. My move to Colorado was based on many factors, and it wasn't necessarily an "escape". Either way you want to analyze my choice of words, the bottom line is that I'm happier here. That's all that matters. I refuse to engage in the doomsday attitude of some folks here.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
This was basically a tongue and cheek post. Not meaning to offend people, Colorado or any city in Colorado.

Mods can delete this post.
Will do. Some things and some threads just go haywire, one of the perverse natural laws of forum decorum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado