U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:48 AM

10,638 posts, read 11,731,096 times

Advertisements

So I was thinking this morning about all these "I want to move to Colorado" threads here. Wondering if they could all be rounded up and made into a sticky Moving to Colorado or something.

As a new resident of Colorado here's what I learned:

1. Visit first, visit during the summer AND winter. Spend more than a weekend. Talk to local residents.
2. That quaint mountain town in August is very different in the dead of winter. Think Silverton.
3. Colorado is pricey. Prepare for sticker shock.
4. Bring a dump truck full of money with you.
5. Have a job BEFORE you move here.
6. It costs WHAT to register my car?
7. Bear, deer, elk and other large wild animals will wait until the last second to wander in front of your car.
8. Bear eat people.
9. Mountain Lions eat people.
10. It snows in winter. It snows a lot. It snows for a long time. Once you think you are out hiking on a nice sunny day, it will snow.
11. Telling local residents how great things were in California, New Jersey or Florida will not endear yourself to them. Try some humility, ask for advice and LISTEN.
12. Colorado has very different places. The front range is very different from the western slope. The ski resort towns are very different from normal towns real people live in.
13. Learn to drive in snow. Learn how to put chains on before winter.
14. Yes the sun is bright, the air is thin and you're dizzy. You'll get used to it in a few months.
15. Sunglasses, chapstick, water and sunscreen are your new best friends.
16. Everything you are trying to escape from can be found right here in Colorado.
17. It gets cold in the winter. It's that "Wow it's cold" cold.

Not trying to be negative, just realistic. In the 6 months I've lived here, I have heard real horror stories of people moving to "utopia" only to loose their shirts, being unable to find work, and being miserable during the 5 months of snow and cold. Now they have an overpriced home to dump so they can go back to where they came from.

Personally, I love it here. The snow, the cold, the long drive to buy groceries doesn't bother me. The bright sunshine, deep blue sky, crisp fresh air and the mountains more than make up for the negatives.

I think it takes a certain amount of grit, for lack of a better term, to not just live, but to flourish, in Colorado.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM

12,106 posts, read 20,424,415 times
^

The problem is that list is not true for all the cities in Colorado. For example in Pueblo its not cold in the winter, we have days in the 70's even in January, and its not expensive, we are one of the cheapest places to live in the United States, but right now it would help to have a job before you move here. To be honost I am not sure there is one single list as this is a diverse state with different needs.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,428,478 times
I personally like #7!!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM

345 posts, read 852,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
8. Bear eat people.
Oh come on...they only wanted a taste

Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 PM

346 posts, read 1,421,307 times
Everything you are trying to escape can be found in Colorado? Are you sure about that? I escaped gray/white smoggy skies that only disappeared for a few days after a good soaking of rain. I escaped having graffiti scrawled across neighborhood walls, underpasses, park signs and even our own front yard tree. I escaped having to listen to Spanish as the predominant language. I escaped having to spend 2 hours on a freeway to travel 20 miles. I escaped overcrowded schools for my kids. I escaped an unsafe community in which to live.

Let's get real here. I understand your point. You are trying to inform the newcomer that not everything will be "peachy" once he/she moves to Colorado. However, let's not exaggerate or insult the intelligence of those who are planning a move. Most people do plenty of research prior to moving, and are not in need of a useless list such as yours.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:23 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,084,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
1. Visit first, visit during the summer AND winter. Spend more than a weekend. Talk to local residents.
2. That quaint mountain town in August is very different in the dead of winter. Think Silverton.
3. Colorado is pricey. Prepare for sticker shock.
4. Bring a dump truck full of money with you.
5. Have a job BEFORE you move here.
6. It costs WHAT to register my car?
7. Bear, deer, elk and other large wild animals will wait until the last second to wander in front of your car.
8. Bear eat people.
10. It snows in winter. It snows a lot. It snows for a long time. Once you think you are out hiking on a nice sunny day, it will snow.
11. Telling local residents how great things were in California, New Jersey or Florida will not endear yourself to them. Try some humility, ask for advice and LISTEN.
12. Colorado has very different places. The front range is very different from the western slope. The ski resort towns are very different from normal towns real people live in.
13. Learn to drive in snow. Learn how to put chains on before winter.
14. Yes the sun is bright, the air is thin and you're dizzy. You'll get used to it in a few months.
15. Sunglasses, chapstick, water and sunscreen are your new best friends.
16. Everything you are trying to escape from can be found right here in Colorado.
17. It gets cold in the winter. It's that "Wow it's cold" cold.
I think that is a pretty good list to start with.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,424,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think that is a pretty good list to start with.
Can you explain why? Most of those are not true for Pueblo.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM

726 posts, read 1,820,267 times
I don't know where you moved from but for me (having moved from upstate NY) I would say everything you posted about the weather is the opposite from my experience. I'm in Denver metro so the weather here is on average 15 degrees warmer than NY. WAY LESS SNOW. Most things are cheaper except houses but even houses end up being cheaper once taxes get factored in to a mortgage payment. Also is there anyone anywhere who doesn't think a bear/mountain lion would attack a human?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:21 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,129,097 times
People. It's obvious that the OP did not mean for all of those things to be taken 100% literally. Like for example, 'Bears Eat People'. True, bears have eaten humans in the past (e.g. one near Ouray last year), but we all know they do not walk around seeking to devour any person they come across and that your chances of being personally eaten by a bear are slim indeed. The point of jim's post is that life in CO is not perfect, and that having a realistic attitude toward the pro's as well as the con's will help one have more success should they decide to move here.

I know that most of you will pay little attention to my own words and will continue nitpicking every point in jim's list, and that's fine with me. But I for one think it's a fine list and gets the point across well. I tried to rep jim again for it but of course it won't let me.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:27 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,129,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Can you explain why? Most of those are not true for Pueblo.
Can you explain that statement? Because, as I see it:
1. Visit first, visit during the summer AND winter. Spend more than a weekend. Talk to local residents. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
4. Bring a dump truck full of money with you. TRUE or at least not a bad idea FOR PUEBLO
5. Have a job BEFORE you move here. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
6. It costs WHAT to register my car? TRUE FOR PUEBLO
7. Bear, deer, elk and other large wild animals will wait until the last second to wander in front of your car. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
8. Bear eat people. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
9. Mountain Lions eat people. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
10. Once you think you are out hiking on a nice sunny day, it will snow. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
11. Telling local residents how great things were in California, New Jersey or Florida will not endear yourself to them. Try some humility, ask for advice and LISTEN. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
12. Colorado has very different places. The front range is very different from the western slope. The ski resort towns are very different from normal towns real people live in. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
13. Learn to drive in snow. Learn how to put chains on before winter. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
14. Yes the sun is bright, the air is thin and you're dizzy. You'll get used to it in a few months. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
15. Sunglasses, chapstick, water and sunscreen are your new best friends. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
16. Everything you are trying to escape from can be found right here in Colorado. TRUE FOR PUEBLO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado