U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,292,365 times

Advertisements

Remember when Governor Owens toured parts of Colorado by helicopter at the time of the Hayman Fire (and other fires), and exclaimed to the media that "All of Colorado is burning today!"

Well, I sure understood his sentiment at the time as I was living in Boulder and very much aware of all the fires and smoke.

Owens really took some flak for that statement though!

Now I live in Rhode Island and we had an extra rainstorm or two within two weeks and our governor has had his Bill Owens moment, exclaiming today to the media that,

“None of us alive have seen the flooding that we are experiencing now or going to experience,” Governor Carcieri said, according to The Associated Press. “This is unprecedented in our state’s history.”

If it wasn't so serious for homeowners along the Pawtuxet and Blackstone Rivers around here I would just double over laughing.

Hah hah. Politicians !! I guess this is the stuff you need to say in public in order to secure Federal disaster funds...

By the way, get a clue people, it's global warming/climate change. Some places are experiencing episodes of much drier than normal conditions, and storms are increasing in intensity and dropping more precipitation. The climate scientists of the world have been warning us about this for years. Are we EVER gonna stop and listen??

Last edited by POhdNcrzy; 03-31-2010 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 12:50 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,463,186 times
When Dwight Eisenhower was president he once said, Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before. Even Yogi couldn't come up with that one!

Old 03-31-2010, 01:00 PM

79 posts, read 120,209 times
Day by day the global warming alarmists are losing ground. Numerous studies have now been debunked by highly respected climatologists worldwide. In fact, several cases have been discovered recently containing manipulated statistics. I'm no expert in this area, but I do know the earth has never been in equilibrium, but rather in a constant state of flux.
By the way, the climate had nothing to do with the Haymen fire. It was started by a female park ranger upset over being jilted by her boyfriend.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:49 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenIron View Post
By the way, the climate had nothing to do with the Haymen fire. It was started by a female park ranger upset over being jilted by her boyfriend.
WRONG! That is one of the dumbest statements I've ever read on this forum. It shows near complete ignorance of both climate and forest ecology. The IGNITION SOURCE of the Hayman fire was a female park ranger upset over being jilted by her boyfriend. The CAUSE of the fire was decades of fire suppression culminated by a multi-year drought. If she had not ignited that fire, it is almost certain that some other ignition source would have ignited it--man-made or natural. In fact, had not the fuel buildup from fire suppession been present, and had not climatic conditions (whether man-made or purely natural) caused a severe drought, she could have burned her boyfriend's letters for days on end with no ignition of a forest fire.

One of these days, when entire forests of dead lodgepole pine in Colorado are dried out and they find an ignition source--a careless human, a lightining strike or whatever, we will see the same circumstance again.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 PM

TungstenIton wrote:
Day by day the global warming alarmists are losing ground.
That's actually a good thing because it gives the global warming commonsense-ists more credibility. Perhaps a common sense message will be easier to hear than an alarm based message containing manipulated statistics.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
WRONG! That is one of the dumbest statements I've ever read on this forum. It shows near complete ignorance of both climate and forest ecology. The IGNITION SOURCE of the Hayman fire was a female park ranger upset over being jilted by her boyfriend. The CAUSE of the fire was decades of fire suppression culminated by a multi-year drought. If she had not ignited that fire, it is almost certain that some other ignition source would have ignited it--man-made or natural. In fact, had not the fuel buildup from fire suppession been present, and had not climatic conditions (whether man-made or purely natural) caused a severe drought, she could have burned her boyfriend's letters for days on end with no ignition of a forest fire.

One of these days, when entire forests of dead lodgepole pine in Colorado are dried out and they find an ignition source--a careless human, a lightining strike or whatever, we will see the same circumstance again.
Allow me to clarify, as I do not suffer being called dumb lightly. I meant that "Climate change probably had nothing to do with the Haymen fire". I would wholeheartedly agree that it was exacerbated by decades of idiotic fire suppression, i.e., not nature's way of forest management.
I get so da##ed aggravated when people pull out the "excuse/default Chicken Little card" on such occasions.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:21 PM

TungstenIron wrote
Allow me to clarify, as I do not suffer being called dumb lightly.
No one called you dumb. It was a statement that you posted that someone considered to be one of the dumbest statements ever read on this forum. Take the time to make that distinction, and you are likely to endure less suffering.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 PM

Ahh, but if one isn't at least a little offended by someone accusing him of making a dumb statement, one hasn't much pride.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,621,622 times
Rising average global climate temperatures are a fact.

People do affect their environment - we can argue the specifics on a case by case basis, but fire suppression is a great example of how we affect our environment.

There are alarmists out there, but there is also a wealth of data out there pointing to anthropogenic influence on global climate and local biomes. I have posted many sources and links to such research on CD and other forums. I wish more skeptics would post like-wise research showing their position and understanding of the data rather than appealing to the masses with generalizations such as "numerous", "several" and "recently." It does little to bolster one's case and credibility when one doesn't provide direct references to the data one is using to make one's case.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,033,460 times
I was shocked to learn in this thread that fires and floods did not occur before 1980? What happened!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado