U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:57 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,148,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I-70 is probably one of the more benign stretches of interstate around in the USA.

Yes there is drug smugglers and illegal aliens being transported but they try to stay low profile for obvious reasons. The local police in Eagle county I remember usually used to bag one of these characters seemed like every day on I-70.

The same safety issues apply anywhere whether it's Utah or South LA. Be aware of your surroundings and just avoid any place that doesn't feel right. Be prepared with a SPOT tracker and a cell phone. Make sure your car is in good mechanical condition and you know how to change a tire in 10 minutes or make minor repairs. Stop in major towns along the way. Prepare and plan your route and know when and where you are stopping.

If your driving skills are dodgy or you scare yourself or others with your driving, then it's a good idea to go to a high performance driving school like Bondurant in Phoenix or the winter school in Steamboat Springs next winter. Most people are ill prepared to handle emergency maneuvers.
All good suggestions, but one should be careful about is assuming that you will have cell service everywhere. It is generally getting pretty good along the Interstates, but there are still "dead zones" out without reliable service. And, of course, there is the issue of how far help may be from you if you call 911. I know personally of circumstances (just a couple of years ago) in rural Colorado when people had car accidents and the nearest law enforcement officer was over 60 miles away, and ambulance response times were nearly 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,055,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
All good suggestions, but one should be careful about is assuming that you will have cell service everywhere. It is generally getting pretty good along the Interstates, but there are still "dead zones" out without reliable service. And, of course, there is the issue of how far help may be from you if you call 911. I know personally of circumstances (just a couple of years ago) in rural Colorado when people had car accidents and the nearest law enforcement officer was over 60 miles away, and ambulance response times were nearly 45 minutes.
That's why I recommend a SPOT tracker for anyone traveling alone or in areas they are not sure of.

SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger

I'm about to get one, but I know quite a few people who have used them here and overseas on motorbike or off road trips and it's very handy to have. Friends and family can track your progress via google maps. Or you can have SPOT notify 911 and so on.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:02 PM

45 posts, read 131,530 times
Default recommendations

Thank you all - I plan to drive during the day and these comments have made me more conscious of being aware of my surroundings. We are planners and this has made us even more aware of the need to plan our stops carefully.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:00 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,850,658 times
Wink Safety

Good suggestions here. One of the best to be aware of one's surroundings. Always applicable. All the more, unfortunately, in sections of our cities, as most urban dwellers would know.

As for I-70, if a major public artery, I also could categorize this stretch as fairly 'benign.' Not as much so if the unexpected pops up, thus why having a vehicle in good working order would solve a good many possible problems, particularly given the long, largely empty distances involved. But safety will not be enhanced in fearing providence is lurking around every corner ready to jump one. If problems could be encountered, more usually such a journey can make for a long, interesting and pleasant drive.

If unsure or hesitant it would be advisable to drive only during daylight. Night can be lovely as well, but in various ways, such as animals possibly on the road, not as safe, or preferable for the inexperienced. Depending on schedule and nightfall, towns such as Green River, UT, and Grand Junction, CO will provide good services and lodging. Once in Colorado, I-70 offers services at regular intervals, if basically nothing between the border and Fruita. In each instance, the gas station, the hotel, whatever, branding is only an indicator, and the surest guide what one feels.

There are also some good rest stops to choose from, with those in Glenwood Canyon, just east of Glenwood Springs to be commended. One might find them both practical and scenic, and more usually safe. But a perfectly fine and safe rest stop is neither if but one other person happens to be there who changes that equation. It matters little whether others are there or not; they are foolish and inattentive. Thus it pays to know the difference, to trust oneself and intuition, and act upon it. One need not be armed to the teeth either, and if in some situations that might prove a great help, it might also foster inattentiveness. The best defense is simply to be elsewhere.

Travel can be many things: taxing, dull, expensive, and/or dangerous . . . but also liberating, exhilarating, and simply wonderful. The wise traveler balances all and selectively chooses the best at any given moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado