Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,249,481 times

Advertisements

Now that the deadline for the mail-in forms has passed, census takers will be hand-delivering census forms to addresses for which they did not receive a mail-in form.

And with that will come a host of scams posed to look like census activity.

First, all field census workers will wear a badge, and carry a second photo ID. They are forbidden to enter people's houses, so if someone claiming to be a census worker asks to come in, that's an immediate red flag. The questions on a legitimate census form can be found here:

What's on the Census Form (http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php - broken link)

There are already reports of scammers intercepting legitimate forms in the mail and substituting cleverly designed fakes that ask for info designed to steal your identity.

Essentially, the real form will ask how many people live at the address, a phone number, the names, races, national origins and ages/birth dates of people living there, and whether the house is rented/owned with a mortgage, or owned outright. The one question on home ownership is the closest thing to financial info they will ask.

They will NOT ask for social security numbers, household income, bank balance or account information, credit card info etc. And census surveys can not be completed by phone or online.

If in doubt that someone claiming to be a Census Bureau worker is legit, you can take their ID info and call the Census Bureau at 1-866-226-2864.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 08:40 PM

18,139 posts, read 25,680,563 times
Good advice Bob! Yea, scammers know no bounds, that's for sure. A couple of my neighbors who have been on layoff (long term) have taken positions for temporary work as census takers and are wanting out of construction. If nothing else they are conserving their UI benefits for down the road after their work is done.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 PM
M&S

2 posts, read 3,339 times
I just had a census worker show up at my door asking about the man upstairs above my apartment.

This seemed fishy to me, given it's three years since the 2010 Census. She did have an ID badge but she seemed really nervous and distracted.

Is this legitimate?

Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,069,308 times
There are census operations going on all the time. Every 10 years there is a huge operation, the rest of the time it is much smaller things.

They may or may not have been legitimate. The best way for anyone to find out is to call the census bureau at the regional office closest to them.

Source: Former supervisor for the census.

PS. This is the Colorado forum, so I'll include the contact info for the regional office here:

http://www.census.gov/regions/denver/www/contact_us/

I hope this helps.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:09 AM
M&S

2 posts, read 3,339 times
Lurtsman,

Thank You, very much. I will contact them in the morning.

M&S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado