U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,619,473 times

Advertisements

Xcel Energy Cuts Colorado Coal Use by 30% : CleanTechnica
RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 AM

79 posts, read 120,150 times
Natural gas costs nearly twice as much as coal to produce 1 kw hour of electricity at current prices, which are near historic lows. Add to that the loss of mining jobs, drop in coal train activity, etc. A mixed bag, for sure.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:28 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,351,797 times
We need a mixed portfolio of energy production faculties. For example in Pueblo we have a large coal fire power plant, now we are getting a natural gas one and there are plans for a large solar field and a nuclear plant.

I am for this as I think the new energy economy will help us get out of the recession. At the same time I do think that includes "clean coal".

Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 AM

2,176 posts, read 5,412,896 times
I'm interested in knowing how this will affect my energy bills. It seems like all of my expenses will be on the rise within the next few years (health insurance premiums, the price of gas, increased taxes on business with costs passed on to me, and so on), but I'll be lucky if I get a raise this year and possibly for the next few years.

I don't have anything against energy independence or protecting the environment, but as a consumer, I question the timing on this. If my Xcel energy bills drastically increase, I'll have less money to spend on non-essential items, so I won't be supporting local businesses as much, etc.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,619,473 times
Wait till oil hits $100+ / barrel, it's coming, trust the hedge fund market manipulators.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:47 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
This was stupid legislation. First, it may decimate coal mining in west-central Colorado, from which comes a lot of coal for those plants--another slap at rural Colorado by the urban Front Range. Second, I fully agree with an energy industry expert who opined several years ago that natural gas and petroleum are going to become too precious to use in cars and power plants. Simply stated, natural gas is a very portable, clean fuel that may be used economically to heat homes. Coal is not a very good substitute for that, as anyone old enough to have used a coal furnace can tell you. We should be saving our natural gas reserves for things for which there are not very good substitutes: home heating and for the process of making chemical fertilizer. The most cost-efficient fossil fuel to use for electric generation is coal, and that is what we should be using, not converting plants to burn a fuel that we will desperately need for other purposes in the future. Converting the plants in Denver to clean-burning coal technology would have also been cheaper than converting them to natural gas. Another case where an ignorant public and equally ignorant legislators (including one sponsor from the Western Slope who sure as hell should have known better--Josh Penry, who is now on my s*** list) making bad public policy.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM

79 posts, read 120,150 times
Going "green", at all costs, will further break the backs of the working and middle classes. One can expect to pay at least twice as much for clean energy (natural gas, wind, solar) in the very near future.
Is it any wonder why our politicians, who mostly arose from the privileged class, don't get it?

Old 04-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Going green will, also, create thousands of jobs. Just the one development by Pueblo, the Colorado Energy Park, will create over 10,000 primary jobs.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:35 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,791,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Going green will, also, create thousands of jobs. Just the one development by Pueblo, the Colorado Energy Park, will create over 10,000 primary jobs.
Green energy jobs are disappearing as federal funding dries up for their unsustainable business practices. Here's a headline from today to illustrate the point.

newtondailynews.com | REG Newton lays off 13 employees

Old 04-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Lightbulb Solar factory plan draws interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Green energy jobs are disappearing as federal funding dries up for their unsustainable business practices. Here's a headline from today to illustrate the point.

newtondailynews.com | REG Newton lays off 13 employees
Colorado is about to get 468 more jobs. Here is a article from the Pueblo Chieftain:

Pueblo and Fowler are two of five Colorado cities showing an interest in a proposed SunCubes manufacturing plant, the project developer announced.

The link: Solar factory plan draws interest

I have read where Pueblo is the leading city to land the plant but no matter what city gets the state will benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado