U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,241 times

Advertisements

Hello. I live in the Springs and am throwing a bachelor party for a friend in the beginning of May. We are predominantly college aged young people, but don't act as such. We are looking for a nice lakeside cabin getaway for 5 people. (renting 2 cabins wouldn't be an issue.)

I realize that there are plenty of options, but after a few hours of Googling, i've come back mostly empty-handed. The websites for the majority of these places aren't very helpful, and frankly seem too good to be true.

So, I reach out to you in hopes that maybe you could help us send our man off right. : )

We are looking for some place that is/has;

1. Less than $200 per cabin per night
2. Willing take reservations within a months notice
3. JET SKIS. He's fairly adamant that they rent them on-site. (my biggest hurdle thus far)

The lake doesn't have to necessarily be within the state, either. We've looked in Lake Mcconaughy in Nebraska, but were unable to find anyone that didn't require a 45 days notice.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for your time in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:20 AM

10,869 posts, read 41,139,178 times
Your premise ... that "there are plenty of options" ... given your requirements list in early May, Colorado, is flawed.

You'll not find jetskiing available in the mountain lakes, because the water is way too cold for body contact activity. Even at that, many of those lakes are "final water storage" for potable water sources, and they don't allow body contact as a measure of biological contamination prevention.

So, that leaves you the lakes on the Front Range, and reservoirs out on the plains. For the beginning of May, you're not into warm weather yet ... so most of these are still closed, or at least the mountain run-off water is so cold that you'll not find body contact activity on the water ... no jetskiing here, either.

A big problem is that most of the lakes don't have "waterside cabins" due to ownership, liability, and/or state/federal land uses which preclude building cabins at the waterfront.

I think you'll do a lot better filling your list of requirements heading to a lower elevation riparian state, where there's more water, more cabins, and more on-the-water activity in the spring weather.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Jet skiing in early May? Yikes, you'll freeze.

I've actually never seen any jet skiing in Colorado because most of the lakes in Colorado are artificial and used for water storage so the only thing allowed is sailboats and the like from what I have seen.

The main natural lake is Grand Lake and that whole area will still be unthawing from winter and there will be melting snow and mud everywhere.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,414,224 times
Granby Lake, Carter Lake, Horsetooth Reservoir, Dillon Reservoir....don't know about jet ski's except for Cherry Creek Reservoir but, like others said, you would freeze!!!!!!!! There are cabins on many lakes in southwest Colorado but, mostly cabins are on rivers. Good Luck!!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 AM

10,869 posts, read 41,139,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Granby Lake, Carter Lake, Horsetooth Reservoir, Dillon Reservoir....don't know about jet ski's except for Cherry Creek Reservoir but, like others said, you would freeze!!!!!!!! There are cabins on many lakes in southwest Colorado but, mostly cabins are on rivers. Good Luck!!
These four mountain lakes are so cold, that even during the summer, the thermocline is a matter of inches just below the surface of the water. Typical immersion times before hypothermia sets in is substantially less than a minute!

And, as I'd pointed out ... some of these are final potable water storage facilities. Dillon, for example, does not allow swimming.

I've seen jetskis on Carter and Horsetooth Res's ... but only in later summer months, and with folks wearing full wetsuits on a sunny day. Cherry Creek (and Chatfield, for that matter) do have jetskiing on them in the summer months, but no lakeside cabins.

An additional problem with these mountain lakes is the severe and sudden localized changes in wind velocities and surface conditions. I've sailed all these lakes in dinghy's and been so deep in the whitecaps and troughs that the boat next to me disappeared .... Deep, steep, fast moving waves like this are not the conditions for casual cruising around on a jetski, it's very challenging even in boats that are designed to be on the water in these conditions.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:28 PM

279 posts, read 588,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The main natural lake is Grand Lake and that whole area will still be unthawing from winter and there will be melting snow and mud everywhere.
That's right. You can jet ski, use power boats, water ski all on Grand Lake.

BUT....it's still frozen right now, and won't thaw out by May. Even in the warmest months of July and August I wouldn't do these activities.

Good fishing though.....

Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,414,224 times
Like I said, you would freeze ...and I also said there are cabins on lakes in (SW Colorado) but,,,MOST are on rivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also said Cherry Creek is the only one I listed that allowed jet skis.
Personally I would go to Lake Powell (Arizona/Utah or Wind River Canyon in Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or