Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 AM

494 posts, read 890,139 times

Advertisements

Hi all, looking to do some backpacking in the Rockies this spring or summer. Originally I was hoping to do it in May bit I don't want to have to carry snow gear with me. Generally, about what month could I pack along the Colorado Trail in the Sawatch area and not have to tromp through snow?

Would love to be pointed to a website that keeps track of how much snow is left at specific elevations. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
At the highest elevations, snowcover can persist well into June is some years. The reliably snow-free period in the highest elevations is after July 4th. There can be big variation from year-to-year. I've seen things melted off by mid-May in some years, and some years with 4 feet or more of snow in the trees near timberline on the first day of summer. In more particularly big snow year, I have a photo of me up on the Grand Mesa (10,000 feet elevation), standing on the front bumper of a Chevy Blazer, with the snow level adjacent to the road still above my head--this on a July 1st!

Unfortunately, after July 4th is usually when the southwest monsoon rolls into Colorado, especially the southern half of the state, with afternoon thunderstorms almost daily in the mountains. Getting "off the mountain" (meaning above timberline) by noon is the local wisdom.

You might check some of the SnoTel sites maintained by the NRCS for current data:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/.../colorado.html

Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 AM

Thank you very much! Looks like I scratch May off the list and move the backpacking plans to late June at the least.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:28 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Elevation is what it's all about here in Colorado so the answer to your question depends on what you mean by high elevation. It also depends on whether you'll be doing most of your hiking on southern facing slopes or north slopes. Slopes that get a lot of shade (north slopes) don't melt off until later, if at all. While sunny slopes can be dry much earlier.

Generally, up to about 10,000 feet should be clear in May, although it can be muddy if things are still melting off. Higher than that and you can run into some serious snowbanks.

If you want a snow free backpacking experience, you should hold off until July or August. My coworker and I are planning on doing a little backpacking in that area (Holy Cross Wilderness, Fryingpan Wilderness) and we'll probably hold off until June or July.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:33 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
... and when I say there's a difference between north vs. southern slopes, I really mean it. You can be hiking along a clear trail, no mud, nice and dry and then get around to a northern side of the mountain that doesnt' see much sunshine and find yourself in knee deep snow.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:05 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Take time to get used to the thin air and altitude, drink LOTS of water.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Elevation is what it's all about here in Colorado so the answer to your question depends on what you mean by high elevation. It also depends on whether you'll be doing most of your hiking on southern facing slopes or north slopes. Slopes that get a lot of shade (north slopes) don't melt off until later, if at all. While sunny slopes can be dry much earlier.

Generally, up to about 10,000 feet should be clear in May, although it can be muddy if things are still melting off. Higher than that and you can run into some serious snowbanks.

If you want a snow free backpacking experience, you should hold off until July or August. My coworker and I are planning on doing a little backpacking in that area (Holy Cross Wilderness, Fryingpan Wilderness) and we'll probably hold off until June or July.
By high elevation, I mean fourteeners. I want to scale the Collegiates and some of their neighbors. I knew May was optimistic (since I've done a lot of packing in the sierras) but I had kind of been hoping for enough melt that I wouldn't have to carry snow gear. It's no big deal, I am very fortunate to have a highly flexible summer schedule. I have already tentatively penciled it in for late July.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Take time to get used to the thin air and altitude, drink LOTS of water.
Indeed I've climbed Whitney in CA a few times, and have done quite a bit of packing at 10k+ and so far am fortunate not to have suffered from the altitude. Hopefully that will continue!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:37 AM

447 posts, read 1,606,339 times
Living here and hiking 13er/14er's in the summer I can tell you that the snowpack in that region is below average, and if it continues to be warm and dryish it could melt particularly early.......Like Jazz said above it can be July sometimes before you can consider it mostly "snow free" but my "gestimate" is that it will be plenty good by June.....BUT it's just way too early to tell, Aprils' not half over, and there can still be substantial snow in May......So to answer your original question I would mark May off, and wait till at least June.......Have fun!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:11 AM

Thanks so much to everyone for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado