U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:49 AM

20,344 posts, read 37,868,858 times

Advertisements

About ten years ago, my BIL had an acquaintance who took a year's sabbatical to tour the nation, putting a daily travelogue out via email. This couple stayed a night at the Stanley and were generally disappointed. They said it was nothing special and the toilet in their room was jammed so badly into a corner that it was difficult to use (????).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 PM

10,877 posts, read 41,266,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
About ten years ago, my BIL had an acquaintance who took a year's sabbatical to tour the nation, putting a daily travelogue out via email. This couple stayed a night at the Stanley and were generally disappointed. They said it was nothing special and the toilet in their room was jammed so badly into a corner that it was difficult to use (????).
Very much my reaction and experience at the place.

It was built in an era when "en-suite" indoor plumbing was quite the novelty, and they had large bathrooms/facilities "down the hall" from the guest rooms on each floor. When they "modernized" the hotel, many guest rooms weren't scaled to having plumbing fixtures in the same room space, nor did they have a lot of access to the plumbing.

I had a similar experience with the Hotel Del Coronado, in Coronado, CA. In the original building, I was given a room that was a divided out portion of one of those original big bathrooms. The urine stench had permeated the walls, floor, and ceiling of the room ... no surprise, with it being used that way for many years. Unfortunately, I was there for a conference and booked in for the week, prepaid ... and the hotel management claimed they were booked 100%, full up, and with no other accomodations for me that first night.

They did get me moved to a "better" room for the next night. But that one had a magnificent view of the roof over the kitchen facilities, which included the dishwashing and pots/pans area. As the kitchen staff worked through the late evening, I'd had my fill of the noise and celebration of the workers about 1 AM. I checked out and found a flea bag motel down the road that at least didn't stink and was relatively quiet. Hotel Del management couldn't care less ... they were overbooked and could use the room I vacated for another sucker. Furnishings and accomodations at the flea bag motel were far nicer than what I had at the Hotel Del, too.

What surprised my friends at the Hotel Del was that they'd been booked into the newest additions, at the same price point as I was paying ... and they had very nice accomodations. Initially, they were jealous that I got to stay in the "historic" hotel ... but when I showed one of them my room as we met up for the first night dinner of the convention ... they understood why I was pretty ticked off. My allergies were triggered pretty badly, not to mention my nose was screaming "this place stinks" the whole night, and that was with the window opened.

So much for "historic landmark" hotels of that era that haven't had the finances to properly modernize. Both of these places were bankrupt many times in their storied past, and it showed in their older rooms. I wouldn't say the Stanley was a rip-off, but the Hotel Del certainly was and they even had an attitude to go with it.

As an aside, I did some contracting at The Plains Hotel in Cheyenne, almost as old a structure. I got to see the inside of some of the suites on the 2nd floor, and they were very nice when the modernization was completed. Those rooms were scaled for a family to spend a long stay there, so had plenty of room for ensuite bathrooms and lots of living space. But I can't say the same for some of the other floors, which still appear to have the old "down the hall" bathrooms on the floor ... which suggests that the rooms are just that, rooms, without a lot of space for ensuite facilities.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:10 PM

22 posts, read 87,305 times
My experience with the Stanley is much more recent--2008. The hotel has undergone a renovation since I was first there in the 80's. It's very nice and the mattresses are quite comfortable. (I recall rolling to the middle of a full-size bed in the 80's.) I like Sunday breakfast in the dining room.
As for haunted, I'm sensitive, but haven't seen/heard/felt a thing even by King's former room.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 PM

6,889 posts, read 7,097,068 times
I always thought that "The Shining" was filmed at the Stanley, but I have heard a different story over the years. I found this on Wkiki and this is the story I heard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shining_(film)

Old 04-11-2010, 08:28 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,190,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I always thought that "The Shining" was filmed at the Stanley
The original Kubrick movie (starring Jack Nicholson) was not filmed there. The made-for-tv remake (awful) was filmed there in the late 90s.

Ghost Hunters did an episode a few years ago:
The Stanley Hotel Episode 25 | Season 2 (2005-2006) (Airdate May 31, 2006)
The team is asked to investigate a notoriously haunted hotel in Colorado.
Episodes | Ghost Hunters (http://www.syfy.com/gh/episodes.php?seasonid=2&episodeid=222 - broken link)

Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,341,274 times
The original "Shining" had the interiors filmed on a soundstage in England and the exterior at a hotel on Mt. Hood in Oregon. You're right...the mini-series was AWFUL! I stayed there once a few years ago and it was very nice. I always stop in for a drink when I go to Estes Park. Unfortunately I didn't see any ghosts!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,190,783 times
Resurrecting this old thread in case anyone is interested. Ghost Adventures tonight @ 7 pm (Travel Channel):
Stanley Hotel - Ghost Adventures - Travel Channel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or