U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM

486 posts, read 1,236,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjde View Post
I just checked it out and summer is even hotter than Denver by about 5 degrees! Not sure I'd like that. But then I don't mind Denver's big-cityness either.
Canon City is hotter than Denver in the summer by just a little bit... but it is also warmer in the winter and gets FAR less snow than Denver (i've lived in both places)... and IMHO, Canon City's weather is the best.

In terms of what the original poster was looking for (trees, mountains, peace & quiet, no light polution, small town) Canon City fits that bill perfectly.

another poster, i think 80Keys, suggested a list of places but i have to disagree with most on that list for the following reasons:
-Granby......too expensive
- Glenwood....way too expensive, low inventory
- Aspen....WAY WAY WAAAAAAAY too expensive
- Steamboat Springs.... too expensive and too far away from any major cities
- Lake City.... maybe
- Collbran.....maybe
- Littleton.....affordable but just a southern extention of Denver (= major light pollution, all new development, planned communties, urban sprawl)
- Boulder....too expensive, and too close to major city (light pollution)
- Estes Park....also too expensive

If price is not an issue, then some of the above would be great for the OP, but for a more rural, pastoral, accessible and AFFORDABLE little town, Canon City is one of the best Colorado has to offer.

If you are looking for something far, far off the beaten path, then check out small towns in the San Louis valley such as Saguache, Monte Vista, Del Norte, Alamosa (anything south of the Sangre De Christo Mountain range). Crestone is a small, spiritual town in that region with a lot of earthships/passive solar/green homes on acreage.

Last edited by sesamekid; 05-19-2010 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 05:14 PM

also, the mountain foothill area just west of Denver (Bailey, Conifer, Pine, Evergreen, Shawnee) has the mountain/treed element galore, BUT, does not have great sunshine year round....that area gets a lot of snow which lasts from October thru June sometimes.

However, there are a lot of green homes & passive solar in that region, and it is gorgeous, although some complain about it becoming too built-up due to the very close proximity to Denver.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,033,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
In terms of what the original poster was looking for (trees, mountains, peace & quiet, no light polution, small town) Canon City fits that bill perfectly.
This has come up in the past and I think we need not mislead people about Canon City.

It is high altitude prairie/desert, it is not an alpine mountain town.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:32 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,033,460 times
Quote:
also, the mountain foothill area just west of Denver (Bailey, Conifer, Pine, Evergreen, Shawnee) has the mountain/treed element galore, BUT, does not have great sunshine year round....that area gets a lot of snow which lasts from October thru June sometimes.

However, there are a lot of green homes & passive solar in that region, and it is gorgeous, although some complain about it becoming too built-up due to the very close proximity to Denver.
I've had family that owned property up there many years ago and what gets you in the foothills is you are caught in a weather intersection between the prairie and mountains. Severe up and downdraft winds are a constant plague along with often strong winter storms and thunderstorms in the summer. There are stunning days no doubt, but being caught in the intersection of all that nasty weather isn't fun sometimes.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
This has come up in the past and I think we need not mislead people about Canon City.

It is high altitude prairie/desert, it is not an alpine mountain town.
Canon City is actually located at the entrance to Bighorn Sheep Canyon and it is surrounded by mountain ranges on three sides. The further east you go (Penrose, for example) the more high desert/prairie it gets. The actual town of Canon City is not high mountain alpine like Breckenridge would be considered, but it is an irrigated (leafy) treed little town with mountains very close by. Canon City is located in Fremont country which runs the gamut from prairie/high desert to snow-covered mountainous, canyon land closer to Salida.

One other thing I can say in defense of Canon City compared to most, if not all, high alpine mountain towns is that Canon maintains much of its historical small-town character and very quiet, un-touristy, un-developed organic way of life - if that's what you're looking for.

If you want ritzy, star-studded, SUV ski traffic, rocky-mountain, conifer-treed landscape, then Aspen, Breck, Vail, Frisco, Steamboat would be better choices.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 PM

51 posts, read 134,079 times
Collbran
Creede
Sawpit
Marble
Eckert/Cedaredge
Paonia/Hotchkiss/Somerset
Pitkin
Yampa

...maybe? Some of these areas I know better than others (the western slope areas, since that is where I live) and some are just a guess or reaching back to try and remember what the areas were like when visited ages ago. Those are areas that I don't know outright to be ridiculously expensive or overdeveloped.

I love the area around Sawpit. Of course the closer you get to Telluride, the more ridiculous the prices. I don't think the other little towns leading up to Telluride have the same "small mountain town" aspect (Naturita and Gateway being sort of "canyon-ish" and Ridgway and Ouray a little pricey and touristy now). Before we bought our home two years ago, even when the market was pretty ridiculous, there were some great deals on land near Cedaredge. The last time we drove through the town itself there was a house for sale on every corner. We lived in Paonia when I was a kid and spent a lot of time riding horses on trails to the mountains up there. Paonia also isn't nestled in the mountains per se, just very near the Grand Mesa and Gunnison National Forests. It, like most of the western slope, is more scrubby and deserty (sage, juniper) but just a short distance away from the more green and forested areas. We rented a big farmhouse in rural Paonia when I was a kid and there was a huge forest of juniper trees all around us and sometimes you could see the coyotes dashing through...eek! I'm lucky I never got eaten on the way home from school, lol.

Last edited by Umberlee; 05-19-2010 at 10:03 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 03:28 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,911,704 times
Quote:
another poster, i think 80Keys, suggested a list of places but i have to disagree with most on that list for the following reasons:
-Granby......too expensive
- Glenwood....way too expensive, low inventory
- Aspen....WAY WAY WAAAAAAAY too expensive
If I recall correctly, the OP did not specify a price range or otherwise indicate they were limited by finances. Perhaps these areas might be too expensive for you, but not for them.

Quote:
If you are looking for something far, far off the beaten path, then check out small towns in the San Louis valley such as Saguache, Monte Vista, Del Norte, Alamosa (anything south of the Sangre De Christo Mountain range).
Again, if I recall, the OP is looking for the mountain town experience. At best these are only marginally mountain towns in that they are located "near" some mountains. Alamosa is not a mountain town in any sense of the phrase.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
If I recall correctly, the OP did not specify a price range or otherwise indicate they were limited by finances. Perhaps these areas might be too expensive for you, but not for them.

Again, if I recall, the OP is looking for the mountain town experience. At best these are only marginally mountain towns in that they are located "near" some mountains. Alamosa is not a mountain town in any sense of the phrase.
oh pardon me, i see that you suggested the wonderful small quiet mountain town of Littleton above, so clearly you are the expert here.

Anything in the San Louis valley is wonderful in terms of "peace and quiet", lack of light pollution, plenty of sunshine, and prime location for passive solar homes, which were ALSO some of the OP's criteria.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:51 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,911,704 times
Quote:
oh pardon me, i see that you suggested the wonderful small quiet mountain town of Littleton above, so clearly you are the expert here.
Littleton includes addresses that are right smack in the middle of the mountains.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Littleton includes addresses that are right smack in the middle of the mountains.
i have to respectfully disagree with you again... I lived in Littleton a couple of years ago and am very familiar with the area. Littleton is not, in any way, a small quiet mountain town. Historically it started out as a farming community - in fact, there are historic pictures in the local King Sooper's there of the original (flatland) farms. These days it is mostly urban sprawl, newer subdivisions, condo developments and traffic is congested. There is still a small historically preserved "old-town" Littelton but it is nothing to write home about and completely surounded by.... suburbs.

If you go west of C470, you are getting into Morrison, Indian Hills, and further south, Ken Caryl Ranch, Deer Creek Canyon, and Roxborough Park. These are right at the beginning of the foothills, definitely not "smack in the middle of the mountains". Maybe you have it confused with another town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or