Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,468 times

Advertisements

My husband has been given the amazing opportunity to relocate with his company to Colorado. We are moving with our three kids in the next few months. We are from Utah and love the four seasons and the mountains. In Utah we have experienced a clash of cultures in the predominately Mormon state. As non-mormons, we have found that social structure is built in to the LDS church. The families are protective of their children, and keep them from being around people who drink wine at dinner and do things other than church on Sunday. They mainly stick with the poeple they know from church. It has been difficult for my children - and us - to find friends.

What is the culture like in Colorado? Is it more diverse? Is there a predominant religion, political group, ethnicity. Do they have unique liquor laws? Are there things to do on Sunday. Forgive my ignorance, I really don't know a lot about my neighboring state. I'm hoping to find a more diverse, family-friendly place where adults can meet other people and have fun as well. We can really live anywhere in CO. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:05 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromutah View Post
My husband has been given the amazing opportunity to relocate with his company to Colorado. We are moving with our three kids in the next few months. We are from Utah and love the four seasons and the mountains. In Utah we have experienced a clash of cultures in the predominately Mormon state. As non-mormons, we have found that social structure is built in to the LDS church. The families are protective of their children, and keep them from being around people who drink wine at dinner and do things other than church on Sunday. They mainly stick with the poeple they know from church. It has been difficult for my children - and us - to find friends.

What is the culture like in Colorado? Is it more diverse? Is there a predominant religion, political group, ethnicity. Do they have unique liquor laws? Are there things to do on Sunday. Forgive my ignorance, I really don't know a lot about my neighboring state. I'm hoping to find a more diverse, family-friendly place where adults can meet other people and have fun as well. We can really live anywhere in CO. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
YOU are going to think you've died and gone to heaven. Yes, it's that good here. Not perfect, but still superb.

Lots of diversity.

Live and let live attitudes.

All the religion you want, if you want it, at whatever level of involvement you wish. All religious are here, from A to Z, no one religion really is predominate. COLO SPGS is home to a lot of evangelical organizations and is strongly conservative, but isn't nowhere as bad as the media make us out to be. My advice for you is to stick to the Denver area.

Tons of stuff to do 7 days a week.

Denver metro area has great culture, arts, museums, pro sports, music, food, and a major airport for the region.

Liquor stores are easily found and open 7 days a week. We have a huge beerfest in Denver each year and tons of breweries from tiny to mammoth Coors. Wine is made in many parts of the state. Safe to say that Colorado drinks liberally.

Excellent shopping in most areas.

Great schools in much of the state, especially along the Front Range.

I recommend Denver area to get the most out of the region. Tell us your price range for buying or renting and we'll try and clue you in. If there is a job location, tell us, it'll help.

Check the indexes found in each COLO forum, we are the only state on City-Data where the really good threads can be found in an index. The search tool on this site is also excellent, play with it, it's easy to learn. We often advise newbies to rent for a year as there's just so much to pick from.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-09-2010 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 11:16 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Compared to Utah, Colorado is very "secular." Colorado is, overall, less religious, and the state's heritage of mining and other resource extraction in the rural areas flavors the state with a much more "wide open" nature when comes to things like alcohol, drug abuse, gambling and some other vices when compared with Utah. Colorado's metro areas are pretty much like any other suburban blob in the US--which I personally do not like. The southern half of Colorado, especially, is fairly heavily Hispanic, with most of those people tracing their heritage in Colorado back several generations. In some of Colorado's southernmost counties, the Anglo population is a minority. As I've posted elsewhere, that can be difficult for some Anglos to assimilate into. Interestingly, in the San Luis Valley, the prodominant ethnicity/religion is Hispanic and Catholic, while a large perectage of the Anglo population is Mormon.

I relate this story about the difference between Colorado and Utah. A friend, who lived in Utah for years, was moving to Colorado. He and his wife stopped at a restaurant in western Colorado that, fairly typically, was attached to a bar. The waitress asked them how they were, and he replied "fine, and how are you." She replied, "Busier than a one-legged man in an a**-kicking contest." His wife looked at him and said, "Honey, I don't think we're in Utah, anymore."

PS--I've spent quite a bit of time in Utah for business and pleasure. If I had to live in a metro area, I'd pick the Wasatch Front over Colorado's Front Range in a heartbeat. I like Utah a lot, and I'm not LDS.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:59 AM

795 posts, read 2,409,367 times
Quote:

Lived in Salt Lake and had the same culture clash coming from the Bay Area. Colorado is "normal" and you get bigger mountains...

Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 8,468 times
I appreciate all of the pros and cons. There is alot to love about Utah, including family and friends. Nonetheless, we are excited for the opportunity. My husband has traveled to the Denver area for business, but I have never seen it for myself. We love Utah's amazing mountains, Moab, and scenery. I can't wait to see what Colorado has to offer.

My husband's job will require travel weekly all around the state from Boulder down to Colorado Springs and out to Grand Junction. Two or three times a month, he would have to fly out somewhere, so honestly we could live anywhere. No matter where we are, he will have to travel. I am looking for something family friendly but close enough with a little drive to get to a nightlife or mountain activities.

We are used to Utah's affordable economy so the prices might be a bit of a shock for us. We are not opposed to renting first to give us time to find the perfect place but eventually I would love to own a home. I'd say our budget tops out at $500k but I would prefer to spend less. I know that probably dictates we will be further away from the mountains, but we would be willing to drive an hour or more to get to skiing or mountain biking.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:38 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
I
PS--I've spent quite a bit of time in Utah for business and pleasure. If I had to live in a metro area, I'd pick the Wasatch Front over Colorado's Front Range in a heartbeat. I like Utah a lot, and I'm not LDS.[/quote]

ME TOO. I lived on the Wasatch Front 20 some years ago. Had both my daughters there. We're not mormon either but I guess we were accepted because our daughters were babies. I love Utah but haven't had to deal with the religion.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
$500K to spend on a house will give you a lot of options.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:17 AM

363 posts, read 1,043,048 times
Quote:
I appreciate all of the pros and cons. There is alot to love about Utah, including family and friends. Nonetheless, we are excited for the opportunity. My husband has traveled to the Denver area for business, but I have never seen it for myself. We love Utah's amazing mountains, Moab, and scenery. I can't wait to see what Colorado has to offer.
We have similiar scenery, but Denver is 50 miles from the mountains.

Quote:
My husband's job will require travel weekly all around the state from Boulder down to Colorado Springs and out to Grand Junction. Two or three times a month, he would have to fly out somewhere, so honestly we could live anywhere.
Then I would suggest Colorado Springs instead of Denver.

Quote:
We are used to Utah's affordable economy so the prices might be a bit of a shock for us. We are not opposed to renting first to give us time to find the perfect place but eventually I would love to own a home. I'd say our budget tops out at $500k but I would prefer to spend less. I know that probably dictates we will be further away from the mountains, but we would be willing to drive an hour or more to get to skiing or mountain biking.
Then you'll be in for a shock - our State is not really that affordable. Coming the East it is, but not from the MidWest.

I recommend renting first and THEN find a house on a more relaxed schedule rather than jumping into a situation.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
If he will be flying 2-3 times a month, I'd recommend the metro Denver area for proximity to DIA.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:52 AM

795 posts, read 2,409,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
We have similiar scenery, but Denver is 50 miles from the mountains.

Then I would suggest Colorado Springs instead of Denver.

Then you'll be in for a shock - our State is not really that affordable. Coming the East it is, but not from the MidWest.

I recommend renting first and THEN find a house on a more relaxed schedule rather than jumping into a situation.
LOL when did Denver move away from the mountains???

Denver is 15 miles east of the foothills of the rockies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado