Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:08 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times

Advertisements

Developer Tom Chapman Plans Prominent Mansion In Black Canyon At Gunnison National Park RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 12:14 PM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times
I wish I knew. This guy has made a lot of money doing this, buying land in wilderness areas and threatening to develop them, basically holding up the government hostage, in particular the USFS. He has been doing this for years. Another project he has planned is around the Mountain Of The Holy Cross area.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
What is the history on the piece of land? National Park to me implies that the land is owned by the government. Was this land in private hands before being surrounded by the park?

Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times
Maybe he has a 100 year lease like they do in the Canadian park system. RP

Old 04-15-2010, 12:57 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink How about: "No"

'Chapman is making no apologies for the development, telling the Watch: "I'm a private property advocate and a capitalist, for which I would never apologize."
- 'The Huffington Post'

I have another term for this guy which he wouldn't like, and wouldn't be suitable for the delicate ears of this forum.

That same term would apply to all officials who do not forestall such things. Not a single visitor to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park should be subjected to the handiwork of Mr. Chapman. Period. And they should see that it doesn't happen. Private property or not, some things simply are not appropriate.

Which reminds me that examples of such things do exist. There are small private cabins scattered about Rocky Mountain National Park, for instance. They are grandfathered in, but my understanding with the provision that the exteriors cannot be much modified. As they remain, but quaint historical reminders, largely inoffensive.

If one looks at USGS or other maps you'll notice small plots of private land spotted throughout our national forests, national parks, and wilderness areas. There are even a few near Yosemite National Park in a primitive area. I do not know the status, other than presumably private. Restrictions probably vary.

But it should be obvious to all that the experience of such protected and special places would be threatened or severely compromised if any and all development was allowed on such 'private property.' As a society we must make choices, and one of them should be that the concept of 'private property' does not always trump the common good.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:47 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,695 times
wait till Jazz gets a word of this..........and no matter how vile his response, I will back him 1000% percent on this one!!!!!!..........absolutely DISGUSTING, it even makes me want to cry

Old 04-15-2010, 06:04 PM

79 posts, read 143,801 times
This miscreant is THE worst example of the soulless, sociopathic developer/opportunist. This is one more of his grandiose ploys that WILL come to fruition unless current laws are revised/sunsetted regarding parcels of private land within parks and monuments. The state and federal coffers aren't exactly flush with cash right now, so unfortunately there may not be the means necessary for a heated legal battle. I try not to ever wish ill will upon anyone-except for the likes of Osama Bin Laden-but I'd have a tough time not releasing the safety on my sidearm if Chapman were in my sights.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:39 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenIron View Post
This miscreant is just another soulless, sociopathic developer/opportunist. This is one more of his grandiose ploys that WILL come to fruition unless current laws are revised/sunsetted regarding parcels of private land within parks and monuments. The state and federal coffers aren't exactly flush with cash right now, so unfortunately there may not be the means necessary for a heated legal battle. I try not to ever wish ill will upon anyone-except for the likes of Osama Bin Laden-but I'd have a tough time not releasing the safety on my sidearm if Chapman were in my crosshairs.
true....I too am a "live and let live" kind of person, but I feel personally violated by this, as an avid outdoor person.......you go to national parks to get away from $hit like this, this is the place where it's all suppose to go away

Old 04-15-2010, 08:31 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
I personally know Tom Chapman and despise him for what he does. He has made a living off of the taxpayers of the United States for years, by buying small private inholdings near wilderness areas or National Parks and then threatening something like this to blackmail the government into buying it at an inflated price. He has been doing this for at least 30 years.

Ironically, Tom Chapman's late brother, who I knew well, was nothing like Tom, and was one of the most honest, decent people that I have ever met. One good, one evil--amazing how two brothers could be so different.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:51 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I've only lived here for 6 months and already sick of greedy real estate developers who are raping our resources to make a buck. WHO is going to buy a 25,000 sq foot home in the middle of a desert? This guy is worst of the worst. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado