U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:03 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,663,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

I doubt the Walkers had subdividing and putting 500,000 residents on it. You would subdivide and inhabit land that far north of 50 with all that Fort Carson shelling going on up there? Have you lost your marbles?
+1 McGowdog

Hey, but the shelling will drown out the noise of the attack helicopters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 AM

12,106 posts, read 20,424,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yeah, like your take on this Walker Ranch situation.

Now read what Walker said about it;

"We must do something to encourage farmers and ranchers to continue as the nation's conservationists while being able to survive without subdividing," he said.

I doubt the Walkers had subdividing and putting 500,000 residents on it. You would subdivide and inhabit land that far north of 50 with all that Fort Carson shelling going on up there?
Acording to the Gazette Fort Carson does not want to buy it which means that a devloper will buy it. So I agree it will not be the Walkers who will subdivide but the devloper or devlopers who buy it will.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-19-2010 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 02:54 PM

299 posts, read 790,430 times
Let's focus on what Pueblo is like right now, not on what COULD happen in the future.

All of these plans have been in the works for more than 5 years, and I've yet to see any of them put into place. The university is growing very fast, but there are many students who are in their first or second year and aren't from Pueblo and are looking to transfer somewhere else because because the school doesn't do a good job of creating a positive experience for traditional students. CSU-Pueblo better figure this out pretty quick, because they are pushing a lot of people away.

As far as all of the new developments are concerned, I highly doubt that Pueblo's population will push 800,000 ten years from now, contrary to what Josseppie believes. Until the city finds a way to create more white-collar, professional jobs, not jobs in manufacturing, it will always have the image of a rugged, blue-collar "rough and tumble" town.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:07 PM

^

Fine lets focus on what Pueblo is now.

We are a blue collar town but not "rough and tumble" as people like to think. I live in Pueblo and have never been in a fight. I attend Broadway plays at Memorial Hall and at CSU Pueblo, the symphony, orchestra, art events at the largest art gallery in southern Colorado, the Colorado State Fair, Wild Wild West Fest among other events. In fact Friday I was at a wine and cheese art show at the Sangre De Cristo art center and tonight I am going to a Chamber orchestra series at the theater in the Sangre De Cristo art center.

Those devlopments have not been in the works for 5 years and to be honest the Walker Ranch is to soon to know what will happen. However, Pueblo Springs Ranch is close to being developed and will change Pueblo. I never said Pueblo would be 800,000 people by 2020, but Pueblo should see moderate growth by 2020 causing the Pueblo MSA's population to approach 250,000. So if the OP has a job here I would visit and if the OP likes the town move here as there is a lot going on.

As far as CSU Pueblo they are in a transition from a non traditional university to a traditional one. There will be some growing pains but the university is growing and has great polices in place that will promote growth and student involvement at the same time. One of those polices is a reduction of tuition for students who are from out of state and live on campus. That is not going unnoticed just look at this example from a student who will attend CSU Pueblo from New Mexico:

She said the atmosphere surrounding the CSU-Pueblo campus, where the Thunderwolves' athletic program has undergone massive growth over the past several years, as well as the growing city surrounding it helped her with the decision to sign.

The link: http://www.daily-times.com/ci_14887484

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-19-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,601 times
Default Pueblo

I guess that was not specific enough. I applied for a job at CSU Pueblo and just wanted to know about the town. I heard it was pretty rural, but many people who work at CSU Pueblo live in Colo. Springs. I just fear living in such a rural place; I'm more of a city person- like eating out, coffee shops, entertainment, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is a broad question. Look at this page and if you have any questions about Pueblo I can answer them.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...-colorado.html

Old 05-01-2010, 03:57 PM

Pueblo is not rural at all. In fact Pueblo has a larger urban area then Colorado Springs. Pueblo also spends time and money improving our urban areas with amenities like a Riverwalk in downtown and we have the states second largest publicly owned convention center. Pueblo is working on a plan to double the size of the convention center and build more hotels and retail buildings. Look at this information of the area from the urban renewal page:

This is the latest drawings of the proposed expansion for the Pueblo Convention Center. Below are some quick facts about the proposed expansion.

1: Pueblo's Market Range: Primary market population is 156,000 and secondary market population is 400,000.

2: The primary market Pueblo would draw from for conventions is from Salt Lake City to Houston and from San Antonio to Kansas City and Omaha.

3: Riverwalk quick facts:

A) One of only 14 urban, high density riverwalks in the nation.
B) Average 1,285 visitors/day, 469,162/year.
C) 64% of visitors originate from out of state or country.
D) Actual Riverwalk channel only 50% complete.
E) Riverwalk visitation expected to grow proportionate to rate of Riverwalk real estate development.

4: Convention Center Quick Facts:

A) Second largest public facility in Colorado.
B) Average 65,000 visitors/year.
C) 16% of visitors originate from out of state.
D) Home to one of only 4 Medal of Honor Memorials in the country.
E) Built and subsidized utilizing 3.3% of total City of Pueblo sales tax.

5: THE ANCHOR: Expanded Pueblo Convention Center

A) Expands from 49,000 sq ft to 94,000 sq ft -- would rank 61st percentile nationally.
B) Pueblo voters approved expansion in 2007.
C) Expands Pueblo’s convention and events market range from a regional facility to a national facility.
D) Target market niches: Colorado affordability, military and veterans events, amateur sports.
E) Drives demand for: more hotel rooms, more commercial space, more travel to Colorado.

6: State Sales Tax Increment

A) Expanded Convention Center
B) Expanded Medal of Honor Memorial
C) Addition of Riverwalk Boat House
D) Parking Facility
E) Aquatics Center

7: Private and Local Funding

A) 250 Hotel Rooms
B) Veterans’ Bridge
C) “Old Police Station” Redevelopment
D) “Old Health Department” Redevelopment
E) HARP Lot 6
F) Infrastructure Improvements
G) Amphitheater
H) Aquatics Center
I) Memorial Hall

Source: Pueblo urban renewal authority

http://www.pueblourbanrenewal.org/

I posted all of this so you can get a idea of what downtown Pueblo is like and what the short term plans call for. Pueblo, also, just made the top 10 cities for best food of mid size cities in the country, a list that Colorado Springs did not make. Plus Pueblo has the best historic neighborhood in Colorado, it is located just north of downtown. This is from KOAA:

The North Side District, which includes houses along N. Elizabeth and Greenwood, was chosen as the best old house neighborhood in Colorado.

The link: http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/puebl...es-best-list1/

As far as CSU I have many posts about it on the pueblo thread as it is one of the brightest spots in Pueblo. I would suggest coming to visit but I can honestly say I can live anywhere I want but choose to live in Pueblo because I feel it is the best city in the country.

So while Pueblo is not as big as Colorado Springs and Denver we are a nice city defiantly not rural.

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-01-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or