U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,603 times

Advertisements

Can I get some insight on Pueblo; how is life there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 03:43 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,430,722 times
That is a broad question. Look at this page and if you have any questions about Pueblo I can answer them.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...-colorado.html

Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 AM

13,749 posts, read 21,605,753 times
So your thread title is, "Considering a job in Pueblo"

This implies you've found a job? If you've got a job in this town that pays pretty well, you might enjoy it.

I see this is your first post. Welcome to City-Data. I recommend you take a look around in the Colorado thread, go to Mikefrombackeast's index threads in the sticky area of the Colorado thread for specific questions/answers.

You might give us some ideas of what kind of insight you need; housing, familiy needs, recreation, shopping needs, culture needs, schooling, etc.

Know that Pueblo is off the beaten path. It's not the cookie-cutter yuppified pretty little foo foo city like those towns up the Front range. Only someone from back east or even SoCal that isn't afraid with an old brick building and a railroad track could truely appreciate what Pueblo offers. It's not nestled up against a 14er, but within its own county is a nice little mountain getaway (Colorado City's 27 hole golf course, Rye's park and mountain trailheads, San Isabel (spring, summer, and fall cabin rentals, some trout fishing, paddle boating, hiking, etc.), or you can head west on hwy 50 and be at Pueblo Reservoir for some of the largest acre-feet of lake that this state has to offer, or head on up beyond Canon City where you can enjoy Buckskin Joes, the Royal Gorge, Rafting on the Arkansas River, fly fishing, skiing at Monarch, gambling at Central City, etc.

If you want Colorado Springs or Denver, head up 1-25 for a 35 minute or 2 hour drive respectively.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

Here's a post that has some photo tours I've taken of Colorado and elsewhere. The Hwy 50 and Ark Valley ones are near Pueblo

Now here's my updated photo thread list.

Add: Where is this foo foo town I speak of? Between mile marker 135 to the Wyoming/Colorado border, of course. I like to call it Denver South, Denver Metro, and Denver North.

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-17-2010 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: added info for a friend in Vegas

Old 04-17-2010, 09:37 AM

6,199 posts, read 9,534,965 times
To expand on what McGowdog said, Pueblo isn't for everyone. If it were, then everyone would want to live there.

For one, once you get south of Fountain, I-25 turns in a southeasterly direction and takes you further from the foothills. As a result the scenery changes fairly considerably. Pueblo has more of a southwestern feel than its Front Range neighbors to the north. It reminds me more of New Mexico than Colorado.

Pueblo's 2 biggest downfalls are the climate and its past. Southeastern Colorado typically has the highest temps in the state during the summer. The daytime highs regulary flirt with 100 for a good portion of July and August.

Plus Pueblo has had a hard time trying to escape its past as a rugged industrial town. It's not clean and pristine like the rest of the Front Range. For some that's a plus, for most it's a turn off.

Also, for a city of its size, Pueblo's crime rate is remarkably high. Granted a majority of the crimes are property crimes (burglaries, auto thefts, robbery), but the overall rate is appreciably above the national average. Why? Poverty probably plays a factor. According to C-D's own stats, 1 in 5 were living in poverty in 2008.

My suggestion to you, though, is to go and visit (if possible). Spend at least a week there and take in the area. Check out Rye and Colorado City. Take a trip to Walsenburg and Trinidad. If you have the time check out Royal Gorge, Salida, and the Great Sand Dunes near Alamosa.

If the prairie is your thing, head east on Highway 50 and see La Junta, Bent's Old Fort, and Lamar.

There are a lot of beautiful places near Pueblo and McGowdog has posted a vast collection of photos to prove it, but the town itself personally isn't my cup of tea.

YMMV, though. Try it, you just might like it.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:43 AM

All I will say is that Pueblo was named as one of the 200 most livable cities in the Unites States and the top 10 cities for food and culture. This is from KOAA:

Out of 200 of the smaller cities and towns on it's list of most livable cities, Pueblo was chosen as the 10th best for food and culture.

The link: NewsFirst5.com | Colorado Springs news, Colorado Springs weather, Pueblo news, Pueblo weather |Pueblo ranks in top 10 on food list

Old 04-17-2010, 01:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,664,231 times
Another thing to consider is a backup plan...what if the job you take there doesn't work out, goes away, etc? What are the odds of finding another job there in your field? If you plan to rent, and can pick up and move if that happens, that's one thing...but if you have to sell a house into a depressed housing market, uproot kids from school etc, you may find the lack of depth in most job markets in Pueblo to be a risk, at least much more so than in Denver or Colorado Springs.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 PM

299 posts, read 790,620 times
To elaborate on what Bob said, the job market in Pueblo is putrid right now. If you have a job lined up right now, good for you. But should that job go away, you may be kicking yourself for moving here.

If you have a college degree and/or a great deal of experience working in a particular field, consider moving elsewhere. Employers around here are very old-school and don't value educated and talented people as much as employers in larger cities do. The only way you will find a decent job around here is if you know the right person.

I'm sure that a certain someone will tell you about how bright the future is for Pueblo, but in my eyes, and those of many others, this city is going nowhere in the next 10-15 years.

Another thing that I will make you aware of is the heavy influence the Hispanic culture has on this city. I'm not sure what your background is like or where you are from, but if you are not used to seeing a throng of Hispanics everywhere you go, you will be very surprised. According to the chart on this site, Hispanics make up 50% of Pueblo's population, and I wouldn't be surprised if that number pushes 55 or 60% once the 2010 Census numbers are released. Bluescreen also stated that 1 in every 5 people live in poverty, and about 90% of those people are Hispanic.

If you can, provide us with a little more info about yourself so that we can help you even more.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:00 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,956,920 times
Pueblo is a small city located in the desert in southern Colorado. It's very dry throughout the year which means it's very brown and barren except for certain parts of town that have made the effort to plant trees and maintain their lawns. It receives very little precipation and it's sunny most of the year.

The history of pueblo is that of a working-class factory town, which means there has always been a "rough and tumble" aspect to the town which has carried over in many ways to this day. Pueblo is a typical "Western desert" city in this regard. It's dominantly a lower-middle class town.

Pueblo is rather isolated in the sense that the nearest town of any consequence would be Colorado Springs which is about an hour's drive to the north. You will not find the shopping opportunities that you can find in a bigger city like Denver. You will not find the cultural activities or big city things that you would find in the larger city. Nightlife mostly consists of going to bars.

Economically Pueblo has always been iffy. Nowadays it's very dry. There's very little in the way of job openings. You already have a job, which is fine for you, but you'll need to realize that many people are unemployed and looking for work.

There are some wonderful outdoors opportunities within an hour's drive of Pueblo. To the west there are some fantastic and large mountains with all of the recreational opportunities that Colorado mountains offer: hiking, camping, fishing, hunting.

Would you like living in Pueblo? Here's what I think:

YES. If you are a person who doesn't require much in the way of nightlife, big city amenities or a large diverse social circle. You don't mind living in the desert. You enjoy spending your free time in the mountains. You like lots of sun.

NO. If you're looking for a place that's really green and not so many sunny days. If you want to live in an upscale/ritzy town. If you want city-life.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Just some clarification of Pueblo for the OP as some of the things said about my town are wrong.

We are not a "rough and tumble" town just because we are working class town. In fact we have the states fastest growing university, Colorado State University - Pueblo, and have a vibrant culture scene and as I said is in the top 10 cities for our cultural activities.

Pueblo is not isolated. Colorado Springs is only a 30 minute drive north on I-25 and Denver is about a hour and a half.

Economically Pueblo has not always been iffy. Pueblo had a economic collapse in the 1980's that took us 20 years to recover from but before that we were known as a "boom city". In fact now there are many large developments being planned here is a list of some:

1. Pueblo Springs - Its already's planed out and ready to go. The developer from Las Vegas say they are just waiting on the national economy to recover then they will begin.

2. Colorado Energy Park - This will be one of the largest energy Parks of its kind in the Unites States. It wont have population but will be a huge place for jobs causing Pueblo to grow. It continues to move forward.

3. Walker Ranch - This just hit the news so its hard to say what will happen. According to the Colorado Springs Gazette Fort Carson does not want to buy the land if that is the case then they will sale it to developers. 90 square miles is a lot of land and if developed could easily hold 500,000 people. I will keep my eye on the story because from what I hear he has to sale it soon.

If you want more info on those or other developments just look in the Pueblo thread I have posted a lot of information on them.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-18-2010 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 AM

13,749 posts, read 21,605,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Just some clarification of Pueblo for the OP as some of the things said about my town are wrong.
Yeah, like your take on this Walker Ranch situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
3. Walker Ranch - This just hit the news so its hard to say what will happen. According to the Colorado Springs Gazette Fort Carson does not want to buy the land if that is the case then they will sale it to developers. 90 square miles is a lot of land and if developed could easily hold 500,000 people. I will keep my eye on the story because from what I hear he has to sale it soon.
Now read what Walker said about it;

"We must do something to encourage farmers and ranchers to continue as the nation's conservationists while being able to survive without subdividing," he said.

I doubt the Walkers had subdividing and putting 500,000 residents on it. You would subdivide and inhabit land that far north of 50 with all that Fort Carson shelling going on up there? Have you lost your marbles?

Flashforward to Bob; I live in Pueblo West south of 50 about a couple of miles and the shelling rocks the house like a 3.5 earthquake.

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-19-2010 at 03:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or