U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2006, 12:14 PM

100 posts, read 346,810 times

Advertisements

If you were from VT looking to relocate to CO and wanted to find a small-medium town area with that same New England feel and a good job market, what towns would you consider?
Don't want to be too far out, needs to have more than a general store and a gas station in town.
No bummer posts please, just looking for positive feedback here.
thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2006, 04:43 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
What defines a small town with a New England feel? I've never been there so I wouldn't know what might be in your requirements. :-)

Old 08-02-2006, 05:52 PM

119 posts, read 630,006 times
COflower, New England would probably mean quaint. Local mom and pop stores, maybe some trees and greenery. A place where "everybody knows your name" kinda like CHEERS.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:58 PM

137 posts, read 708,493 times
I would again have to say Palmer Lake or Monument. Tourtrilakes.com has a lot of pictures of the area.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:59 PM

119 posts, read 630,006 times
In case any of you think New England is a town, cuz some of you may not know, New England is actually a region on the east coast consisting of six states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusettes, Connecticut and Rhode Island. It's where the pilgrims first came to settle. I'm not trying to be miss smarty pants, but I've heard that people actually think New England is a town.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:59 PM

137 posts, read 708,493 times
By the way, they call ponds "lakes" around here.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 31,331 times
Default Nice small towns

I live in Albuquerque, NM, but have my eye on 2 places in Colorado to eventually settle: Manitou Springs or Pagosa Springs. Manitou is very quaint and feels like a small village (rustic, European feel) and the people are VERY
friendly. It is located on the SW edge of Colorado Springs, so you have all the conveniences of a very large city within easy commuting distance.
Pagosa is stunningly beautiful! We were just there last weekend and found the people nice, as well. However, there is a huge amount of growth/development and it was a little too "touristy"....like seeing alot of little ants crawling around! I got the impression from some of the locals that they're not entirely happy about all the new growth. Real estate prices have skyrocketed (although probably still much more affordable than New England). Your commute to a larger city would be greater (Durango would be the closest, but it is by no means a big city). Also, I think it gets much colder and will likely get more snow than Manitou Springs. I hope this helps...good luck in your search!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:37 AM

827 posts, read 4,541,267 times
DogLady321, you might look at Montrose, CO. It is a small medium size town and has a New Englandy feel to it. Durango also has the Victorian homes and the old buildings but has more of a southwest feel to it and is larger. Montrose has a small charm too it. Ouray, near there is beautiful! But the winter is harsher there and Montrose and Durango more milder. On this city-data website, where data is on Montrose and Durango, they have some pictures on there. The last picture on the Montrose city-data website is I am pretty certain Ouray nestled in the mountains and the first two pictures are Montrose. You can also just google Montrose city data and Durango city data and get there too. It is this city-data website.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:58 PM

7 posts, read 38,736 times
Pagosa is nice, Montrose, Durango, Canon City, Salida are all nice little towns with quite a bit to offer. Depending on how far South you want to go, Walsenburg is nice. Manitou is really more of a tourist place, so if you want lots of tourists around year round. Woodland Park is a beautiful town up in the mountains, really nice place to live, small town feel, but all of the amenities you need, plus.....you're IN the mountains!!! The further North, the more expensive, the further South, the least expensive.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 31,888 times
Question Does anyone live in or near Walsenburg?

What is it like in Walsenburg CO? Big city, tourist town, ranches? Any info would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or