U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 02:00 PM

33 posts, read 54,314 times

Advertisements

We're relocating from downtown Atlanta to Georgetown next month. I well aware of the culture shock that's coming our way, one item of which is what we'll do about internet service. Currently I have no cable whatsoever, but stream all of my television through my Clearwire WIMAX connection for 35 bucks a month. I cannot find any information about the availability of such connections and am now wondering if high speed internet even exists in that little town. I'd prefer not to deal with the cable or satellite co, if at all possible.

Thanks for your help.

PS Just realized that I need to make sure that my Verizon phone will even work there. Ha!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 03:28 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,651,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptboat67 View Post
We're relocating from downtown Atlanta to Georgetown next month.
Georgetown...Colorado??!!

Old 04-17-2010, 03:37 PM

Yes, this is the Colorado forum, so one would assume that I would be writing about Georgetown, Colorado; correct?

Old 04-17-2010, 03:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,651,296 times
Well in that case, I think you'd best be looking into satellite internet.

Hughes Satellite Internet Services

The bandwidth restrictions on satellite internet may make any kind of high-volume streaming like video TV problematic. They are well-known for their rather draconian bandwidth limits and policing measures.

Also, VOIP via satellite is rather icky...the travel time for the signals going to a geosynchronous satellite induces a ~half second delay in transmissions, which makes for a phone conversation much more like a half-duplex radio conversation.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Thank you for the information. It's very helpful.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:23 PM

54 posts, read 172,580 times
I hope you like cold, mostly sunless and extremely windy winters.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:44 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,834,746 times
Wink WiMax?

I'm afraid that Georgetown, CO, at least insofar as internet service is concerned, will come as a rude shock.

Chances are your only two viable options for halfway decent internet will be either Qwest (phone company) or HughesNet satellite. A better option if available would be Comcast cable; since Georgetown is on the I-70 corridor one might think, but Comcast probably not available. Qwest will probably prove a sore disappointment. They can offer halfway decent service in a place such as Denver, but in Georgetown 1.5 Mps might be the best on offer.

HughesNet was a surprise to me, in thinking the best on offer was 1.5 Mps, and for a price at that, but now one can get up to 5.0 Mps for only $349.99.

Come to think of it, one can also receive internet through providers such as Dish Network (satellite). But no faster than Qwest, and more expensive. It only makes sense possibly as part of a package including television, which with that on offer might be what you end up opting for.

Face it, living in the mountains has certain costs. Internet service in metro America badly lags the best international standards, with rural service now usually only a step above dial-up. A WIMAX connection for $35 a month likely but a dream.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:24 PM

10 posts, read 27,126 times
Comcast is there

Comcast Georgetown Colorado High Speed Internet - Cable TV - Digital Phone Georgetown CO Offers

Old 04-25-2010, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the information. everyone. Comcast is definitely a provider of internet and cable, but I have an email in to Sky Beam, which seems to be a WIMAX service similar to Clearwire. I'll post here if they service the area. So far, entering the zip code has actually got me to the preliminaries with their sales team. Their download speeds are up to 7mbps, which is what I get in downtown Atlanta. Sure hope it works out. No need for VOIP here, my cell serves me just fine.

Thank you for the vote of confidence, Karpiel. We're not moving to Georgetown for the weather, but because of a job my husband is going to perform. We're looking forward to being a part of the community.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Spoke with Skybeam and I'm going to have to wait until I arrive so a technician can assess the place we're renting. I guess they have to have an external antenna because of the region and the obvious difference between the number of antennae in downtown Atlanta and Georgetown. The prices are within ten dollars of each other, but Skybeam charges an installation fee, which is bogus. Hopefully I can do this, but it depends on needing to attach something to the house, which I cannot do. Still a good alternative for anyone else looking for this information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado