Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times

Advertisements

I've been to all three a couple of times each and they all have appeal.

Estes Park has friends and the RMNP but its colder in the summer and further from Denver. Its also expensive for homes.

Nederland is scenic and closer- seems a bit expensive too and heard taxes are high in Boulder County.

Idaho Springs is right off I-70 good for transportation.

My impressions are superficial - someone who knows Colorado well could probably detail some of the pros/cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:18 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Three differences

Okay, I'll bite

Proximity to Denver seems to matter to you, so Idaho Springs may be your place. The drive will take longer from Nederland, even a bit longer from Estes Park. I don't have much experience with Idaho Springs, although its character defined now to a large degree by I-70 horning in through its narrow canyon home. This interstate did no favors for Silver Plume, either. Obviously some live there and can overlook this feature, for others that alone might be case over. It was a mining town, not at all sure if any of them are still operating. Now they probably mostly mine the tourists, with this another reason why I-70 such a large factor. This past history has resulted in a certain number of Victorian brick buildings with character. In that local you may often be reminded of its past, wondering perhaps what its future may be. Probably an odd charm, and some might question why you live there.

Nederland may have something to do with mining; I'm not sure. Caribou is up the hill. As of now it seems to serve as a funky adjunct to Boulder, not that far distant down the hill. Decidedly smaller of course, quieter. My feeling it is the place for later day hippies (or of a certain different persuasion) who may feel a little too hemmed in in Boulder, and prefer being in the mountains. New Age with money, however, as not exactly cheap. Real estate would probably prove more expensive than Idaho Springs. Tourism is low-key there, not entirely overrunning the place. The small and quaint ski area of Eldora is just outside of town. Otherwise it would be the overall ambiance and arts and crafts of the shops that would draw visitors. The scenery is beautiful, but not spectacular.

Spectacular would epitomize the location of Estes Park. An absolutely gorgeous setting. The dead of winter can be quiet and lovely, but otherwise, particularly in summer, the town is overrun with tourists. Which is what the town fathers seem to crave: it is the bread and butter of that place. The jewel of adjacent Rocky Mountain National Park is rightly a big draw for many local visitors, up for a day or two, also more than a few international visitors. It is a splendid National Park, quite easily accessed from Estes Park. One does wonder at times how many of the tourists thronging the many shops along Elkhorn Avenue actually spend any appreciable time within this Park, if at all. Nevertheless the more popular campgrounds within the Park are invariably full in summer. In scenery alone there is a reason for the higher real estate prices. Nowhere as exorbitant as Manhattan, NY, put one can get more for their money elsewhere in Colorado. One might also question a home so devoted to tourism. If one is outdoor oriented, that may be fine, but the type of visitor drawn and ambience distinctly different than other resort areas, such as Summit County. In comparison to any other more remote, traditional local in Colorado, not at all.

If in the mountains on the east side of the divide, otherwise the three areas selected are rather dissimilar. The vibe in each will be distinctly different from the others. If thinking of employment, it will prove a challenge in all three. Locally, Estes Park might prove the easiest, but that isn't saying much. Many of the positions would be seasonal service jobs. People that live there, such as more than a few retired, brought their money from elsewhere. Independent business owners would make the majority of serious money earned. That probably goes for Nederland as well, unless one commutes to Boulder. Commuting to Denver on a daily basis from any of these towns would be no picnic. They all enjoy fairly good access to major services, but in each case a bit of a drive. All could provide for most daily needs, such as grocery. At least I think Idaho Springs offers a grocery. Those in Nederland and Estes Park are fine, but one might still opt for a drive down the hill at times.

Nederland would be the quietest of all three, in all respects. The most charming as well, depending. Which of course means what one is after. A fair number of people live in all three, obviously for a variety of different reasons. A perfect fit in any one would surely exclude the other two.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks Idunn - I guess not many were able to discuss all three towns.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 8,215 times
Default Idaho springs

I give this a go. We are moving to Idaho Springs in the coming months. I don't know much about the other towns and quite frankly not much about Idaho Springs either. What I do know is it's in the mountains, it's a beautiful friendly place.

We have a Jeep Wrangler and a 4 WD pickup. That about covers winter transportation issues. Coming from Kansas City, the weather (humidity) will be a welcome change.

They do have a grocery store (Safeway) They have a variety of dining choices.

They do not have a single traffic light.

They have a full service community center with indoor pool which amazes me for a town it's size.

There's a Walmart within 10 miles in Evergreen. Along with a Walgreens.

Our Phones (ATT) have full service, not 3g but still I can utilize the Iphone. They have (2) high speed internet + cable choices.

Our place has a mountain stream running about 12' from our bedroom window.

The drive to and from Denver is spectacular.

Gateway to Ski country- under 60 minutes to several major ski areas.

JEEP HEAVEN!

I wish I had more information for you, I will in a few months. Relocating is a daunting task, but we hope we've found little slice of paradise.

hope this helps

Old 09-12-2010, 10:29 PM

I've climbed up that hill as well as the old mine and the view of the town and I-70 is Super.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado