U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:52 AM

12 posts, read 35,561 times

Advertisements

I would wait on California. Housing will get cheaper when they get forced to balance the budget - taxes will be even higher or services cut to the bone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:26 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Okanagon or Kootenai regions of British Columbia!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Okanagon or Kootenai regions of British Columbia!
One of my most memorable flights was at low level up the Okanagon River Valley to Vernon,BC. Looked like a gigantic manicured park. But the OP was looking for warm weather and beaches.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:48 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
The Okanagon region of BC has both warm weather and lakefront beaches, though the warm weather season is not year round.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
The Okanagon region of BC has both warm weather and lakefront beaches, though the warm weather season is not year round.
I know a fellow who lived in that area for years and loved it. He is considering moving back there. Though I suspect it would difficult or impossible to get now, he has dual citizenship in the US and Canada, so that part would not be an issue. His characterization is that much of BC is the way Colorado was 40 or 50 years ago, though they are now getting their share of tacky and ugly development and rural sprawl--much of it done by US-controlled developers. Those slimeballs just spread like a cancer.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I know a fellow who lived in that area for years and loved it. He is considering moving back there. Though I suspect it would difficult or impossible to get now, he has dual citizenship in the US and Canada, so that part would not be an issue. His characterization is that much of BC is the way Colorado was 40 or 50 years ago, though they are now getting their share of tacky and ugly development and rural sprawl--much of it done by US-controlled developers. Those slimeballs just spread like a cancer.
I hear Wyoming is the same as it was 50 years ago. Well maybe less population in some areas.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:00 PM

3,605 posts, read 4,863,064 times
If I could live anywhere in the U.S., I would live in Portland, Maine.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:04 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,317,471 times
west of Canon City (OK, natives, go ahead and laugh and tell me there's better places, I just find the area beautiful)
San Luis Valley near Blanca Peak (OK, now REALLY laugh, why would I live in the poorest part of the state? Because it's so pretty it's spiritual to me)
the East Sierra around Bishop, Lone Pine CA
south of Lawrence KS
the area around Fort Davis, Marfa, Alpine TX
San Francisco CA
Seattle WA

Old 04-21-2010, 01:11 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

It's interesting: every time I see an incredible mountain scene in a movie, I go online to find out where they filmed it and it invariably turns out to be British Columbia.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:28 PM

3,605 posts, read 4,863,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
If I could live anywhere in the U.S., I would live in Portland, Maine.
Actually, who am I kidding ? Portland is nice. But if I could live anywhere in the U.S., I would live in Longmont, Colorado.

It has just the right climate for me (long winters but plenty of warm days, exciting thunderstorms, and lack of humidity in the summer). It is on the RTD bus lines to Denver and Boulder. It has the best view of the mountains. And it is the right size of a community for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado