Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:08 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I hear Wyoming is the same as it was 50 years ago. Well maybe less population in some areas.
Well, here we go again. You say you've "heard" what Wyoming is like. Well, I lived there for several years and traveled the whole state as part of my work. It is NOT like it was 50 years ago, but is not as overdeveloped as Colorado. I doubt that you've probably even met anyone from Wyoming. Most Wyomingites really cherish the state's relatively unpopulated open spaces--unlike you, who wants fill up the region with people as fast as possible. That would garner you a very unwelcome reception from most Wyoming residents. (Wait 'til Colorado gets serious about stealing Wyoming's water--that could start a shooting war, and I'd bet the Wyoming folks are better shots.) Also, unlike some milque-toast metro Coloradans, many Wyomingites can be somewhat less, uh, "delicate" in how they treat people that they find grossly irritating. "We don't know how he flew out that door head first--it just happened that way."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 09:46 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, here we go again. You say you've "heard" what Wyoming is like. Well, I lived there for several years and traveled the whole state as part of my work. It is NOT like it was 50 years ago, but is not as overdeveloped as Colorado. I doubt that you've probably even met anyone from Wyoming. Most Wyomingites really cherish the state's relatively unpopulated open spaces--unlike you, who wants fill up the region with people as fast as possible. That would garner you a very unwelcome reception from most Wyoming residents. (Wait 'til Colorado gets serious about stealing Wyoming's water--that could start a shooting war, and I'd bet the Wyoming folks are better shots.) Also, unlike some milque-toast metro Coloradans, many Wyomingites can be somewhat less, uh, "delicate" in how they treat people that they find grossly irritating. "We don't know how he flew out that door head first--it just happened that way."
I have been to Wyoming a few times in fact I have cousins from Cheyenne. Also, I happen to like Casper as it reminds me of a smaller Pueblo. However, I don't think it will grow like Pueblo will and that's ok as not every city wants to be a large city or needs to be.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-21-2010 at 10:15 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
I can't think of anyplace in Wyoming that's overdeveloped.
Except Yellowstone.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:08 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I can't think of anyplace in Wyoming that's overdeveloped.
Except Yellowstone.
And Jackson.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:39 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
1. San Luis Obispo, CA
2. Durango, CO
3. Bend, OR (oh wait, I'm already there....)
4. Salida, CO
5. Asheville, NC
6. Flagstaff, AZ
7. Fort Collins, CO
8. Boulder, CO
9. Sante Fe, NM

I didn't list these in any particular order, just places I have lived or always wanted to live. If you are looking for a change of scenery, the desert will definitely provide that! You'll be hard pressed to find everything on your list though, unless you consider CA. Just remember, even though Big Bear is relatively close to most cities in S. California, that doesn't necessarily equate to a short drive. Traffic is absolutely horrendous! I lived for a very short time (3 months, husband's travel nurse) in Thousand Oaks, CA. It was absolutely beautiful and had almost everything your looking for....but, wow, was the traffic bad! It took us 3 hours to drive to LAX from our apt., which was only 45 miles away! It took almost the same time getting back, and this was at 11pm. Terrible! Not much to the quality of life there, unless you enjoy living out of your car. I would never live in Palm Springs either. It's nice for a visit, but an absolutely terrible place to raise a family! I have friends that left that area once they had kids because they knew it was bad.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:12 PM

207 posts, read 809,186 times
Leavenworth, WA.
Solvang/Santa Ynez, Ca.
Harmony, Ca.
Coeur D' Alene/Sandpoint, Id.
Carpenteria, Ca.
Hailey, Id.
Asheville, NC.
Ashland, Or.
Heber City, UT.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:33 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I'd like to live fall and winter where I am (New England), spring in Kanab, Utah, to volunteer at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary and live as remotely as I ever have, with the red rock mountains all around. Summers in Ridgway or thereabouts.
I also would like to have been born a princess, but it's too late for that.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:54 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I can't think of anyplace in Wyoming that's overdeveloped. Except Yellowstone.
Yellowstone is a National Park and there is NO development allowed. You are thinking of Dubois, Jackson-Wilson.

I lived in Wyoming for several years and couldn't wait to leave. Talk about boring. The nearest mall for my girls was a hundred miles one way!

Their elementary schools compared to many small towns in the midwest which were below grade, horrible and teachers weren't paid anywhere near what they are worth. The emphasis was on sports. National Honors was a joke. Of course being an outsider they didn't appreciate anything you could offer them in constructive criticism. They wouldn't listen at open forums and they wouldn't let you speak your mind - they had their own agenda and to heck with your opinions or what you could bring to the table. They didn't want to hear it! Then there was the mormon factor to contend with.

In Laramie, Cheyenne and Casper you didn't have that problem, just others. I80 and I25 are the major drug pipelines from the west and south and with meth labs popping up everywhere, we couldn't afford to let our girls remain any longer.

So, we packed up and left. Colorado was always my first choice after my 20 yr stint and so it was a natural choice.

I finally sold that home in Wyoming ten years later - and tho I made a profit on it, I wished I hadn't gone there in the first place. You learn from your mistakes and move on, never to relive them.

Catharthis is good for the soul!

Old 04-25-2010, 04:36 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
How about Charlottesville, Va? It has mountains and the sea, near metro areas and beautiful countryside, historical sites, and not to hot nor too cold.
Atlanta suburbs are nice--Duluth, Covington, Conyers. Marrietta--and you get a lot more house and land for you buck than California or the other high-priced places.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
C-ville isn't exactly "by the sea." I imagine it's about a two-hour drive at the least, if I remember correctly. It is lovely there. I think it's way too humid, and it's quite expensive to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado