U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 03:15 PM

103 posts, read 142,679 times

Advertisements

So in june i'm driving from Los Angeles to Colorado Springs. What is the I-70 like? i heard that all weather conditions can occur in the mountains in co? is that true? what should i expect? gas prices?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 03:18 PM

12,098 posts, read 20,344,698 times
I could tell you were from California by the how you called I-70. I lived in San Diego for college and there you guys say "the 405" but in Colorao we just say I-70. Not inportant just thought it was funny.

It can but in june you should be ok. Just look at the forecast before you go.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:46 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,106,745 times
I-70 is like a freeway.
Just check the weather and Road Conditions before you go.

Gas prices will be a little lower along the front range than in LA but not much, probably more in the high country. Other than that, the differences are minimal... you're just traveling to another state not another country.

BTW: Josseppie, saying 'the (freeway #)' is an LA/OC thing and most San Diegans find it humorous too. If you were hearing it when you lived in SD it was probably by infiltrators from 'the southland' (another silly LA/OC term).

Old 04-19-2010, 03:53 PM

13,624 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
...Other than that, the differences are minimal... you're just traveling to another state not another country.
L.A. to Colorado Springs? Hmmm... I challenge that comment.

Add:

Well I was thinking the politics might be worlds apart. People from Colorado Springs thinks that Pueblo is racially diverse too. Either that or part of Mexico. About every other post where someone from elsewhere commenting on Pueblo seems to like to point out that its population is abnormally Hispanic. I guess this isn't so as you head north up the Front Range or something. I lived in L.A. as a kid and recall seeing as many Asian people as other minorities. Come to think of it, I think everybody is a minority in the melting pot or melting pots, which is L.A. Which brings me to cuisine... come down to Pueblo for some decent food. Oh, and don't expect to find a Trader Joes, a Ralphs, Vons, In N Out, etc.

Bring lots of water and chapstick, it's dry up there. Have your brakes in good working order if you're driving around town. Lots of street lights and traffic jams for a town that size.

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-19-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 PM

12,098 posts, read 20,344,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well both cities have suburban sprawl and small downtown's so the OP might feel at home.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:13 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
You don't have to worry about I-70 weather in June.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,789,502 times
I'll predict hot in the desert, and cold/tolerable in the mountains.

Plan on the following for fuel stops:
Vegas (2nd to last chance for In-N-Out)
St. George, UT (last chance for In-N-Out)
Salina, UT (decent mexican food right off the interstate)
Green River, UT (If you drive through town you'll probably see a cop car parked at a little dive restaurant on your right. That's the place to eat.)
Glenwood Springs, CO (Charcoalburger drive-in at the west exit)
Idaho Springs, CO (Beau Jo's pizza)

You might need some gas for the car too

Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,181,666 times
Try to make sure you drive over the Rocky Mountains during the day... the lane striping over Vail Pass especially is completely faded out, hard to see where you're going, especially if you've never done it before. Plus the whole thing is awesome scenery, you want to see it during the day anyway. Gear down when going down hills, don't burn your brakes out. Don't speed at all on I-70, there are state patrol officers hiding out on the side of the road all over the place. Fill up in either St George, Cedar City, Beaver, or Richfield UT, and then Grand Junction-- gas gets more and more expensive as you head east until you get to Denver.

There are a bunch of scenic viewpoint stops on I-70 between Salina, UT and Green River, UT-- I would highly recommend stopping and enjoying the scenery there-- it's incredible. If you want an incredibly scenic detour, instead of staying on I-15, at Washington UT, you can take hwy 9 to US-89 (going through Zion Natl Park), then US-89 meeting back up with I-70 at Sevier. Another much shorter detour is to see the Kolob Canyons entrance to Zion National Park (off I-15 between StG and CC). It's awesome, and only takes about a 10-15 minute drive off the main road, well worth it.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:30 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,106,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

I was talking about things like freeways and gas prices, not politics or demographics. But then I forgot I was making that comment on CDF. You can carry on that politcal discussion with yourself or anyone else who cares to banter about it.

But to the OP: I-70 over the rockies is hardly any more challenging than I80 over the sierras. True, harsh weather can come anytime, but a simple weather and road check should keep you out of any real danger.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:39 PM

13,624 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey
You can carry on that politcal discussion with yourself or anyone else who cares to banter about it.
I was trying to break the tension with humor as your original statement was rude and/or sarcastic. We know that it's not another country thankyouverymuch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey
Other than that, the differences are minimal... you're just traveling to another state not another country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado