Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM

45 posts, read 152,872 times

Advertisements

We are arriving in Glenwood Springs via Amtrak and plan to rent a car with a drop off at Denver airport. We will be staying in Breckenridge. The only way to do this is to pick up a car at an airport. The closest airport is Eagle but the van services I have called for a party of 4 are so expensive. Can anyone recommend some taxi services that are reasonable? We thought of getting off at Grand Junction instead and getting car at that airport and driving from there but our kids really want to stay a bit longer on the train. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. We were told to get a bus from Glenwwod to the Aspen airport but that is over an hour and then we would have a 3 hour drive back. Too much with kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 11:21 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,659,149 times
I Googled "car rental Glenwood Springs Colorado" and found that Enterprise Rent-A-Car has an office in Glenwood Springs. Since they are a big company, perhaps you will be able to do a one-way rental with drop-off in Denver.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:09 PM

I already had called them and they don't ususally do the one way drop-offs. We would have to call them back about 1 to 2 weeks before the day we need the car. This is a problem because I would like to buy our amtrak tickets to make sure we are confirmed and I don't know what station to book for.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Why not just stay on the train all the way to Denver and pick up a car up at the train station there?

Old 04-23-2010, 05:34 AM

11,554 posts, read 53,149,375 times
I don't know what you'd call "reasonable" in terms of cost to accomplish your desired transport plan for a family of 4, but the van services up that way are among the lowest priced public transportation available to go point to point, about 35 miles. "inexpensive" and "resort area transportation" are somewhat conflicting concepts ....

CAVA1990 has the best idea ... since you're staying in Breck ... take the train to Denver, and rent your car there. It's about the same trip back into the mountains to Breck from Denver as it would be to drive from Eagle to Breck .... and then, at the end of your stay, you'd be able to drop your rental car off in Denver.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:29 AM

6,766 posts, read 9,327,743 times
Yeah, if your goal is to go to Breckenridge, you should take the train to Denver instead and rent the car here. You would be (slightly) backtracking, but Breckenridge isn't very far from Denver (~1.5hr drive).

Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 AM

We didn't think of going all the way to Denver and driving back - it's not a bad idea. Is the drive from Denver to Breckenridge easy - as it will be getting dark by the time we could head out? I will have to check if there are rental cars at the Amtrak station or if we have to go to the airport.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1 View Post
We didn't think of going all the way to Denver and driving back - it's not a bad idea. Is the drive from Denver to Breckenridge easy - as it will be getting dark by the time we could head out? I will have to check if there are rental cars at the Amtrak station or if we have to go to the airport.
Your rental options will be limited at Denver Union Station, which is right downtown, but there are some rentals available. If you have to go to the airport for the vehicle, you can add close to 2 hours to your time in Denver--DIA is clear out east of town, opposite direction of the mountains. The cab ride to the airport alone would be pricey.

The other thing you might check, if you don't need to rent a vehicle other than to get to and from Breckenridge, would be to determine if any of the transport/shuttel/hotel services would pick you up at the Amtrak stop at Granby (79 miles from Breck) or Fraser (which serves Winter Park, and is 71 miles from Breck). There aren't Amtrak station agents at either locale (or inside station buildings), but they are Amtrak stops that are not hugely far from Breckenridge--there may be some sort of shuttle service between Winter Park and the Summit County resorts--that I don't know. Then, from Breck, you could catch one of the numerous shuttle services to DIA. There is an independent car rental agency in Granby that advertises 24-hr. service to the Granby Amtrak station (Avalanche Car Rental), but I'm sure they would not do 1-way rentals.

By the way, by continuing on Amtrak to Granby or Fraser, you get to see some of the most scenic parts of the California Zephyr route, including Gore Canyon, which is not accessible by road. Of course, the "Tunnel District" (so named because of the 6.2 mile-long Moffat Tunnel and nearly 2 dozen shorter tunnels in the "District") between Winter Park and Denver on Amtrak is also very, very scenic--with a lot of that accessible only by rail, not by road.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,136 times
It's an easy drive...straight shot down I70....then at the Breck/Dillon exit, go south about 7 miles. Easy breezy!!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:03 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,773,356 times
There aint no other options for you. Taxi is gonna be even more expensive than your van service. Are you aware of how far Eagle is to Glenwood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado