U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:57 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,903,079 times

Advertisements

May June and July aren't bad for temperatures. Well, July starts getting hot, but August is really the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 09:18 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,198,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

It sounds like you're a vegetarian though which means there's no good restaurants for you in GJ.
Just because someone likes shopping at health food stores doesn't necessarily mean they are a vegetarian! I think it shows that they are aware of the food they are putting into their body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPhoto View Post

How hot does it get in May, June and July?
May and June are probably the best months for nice weather in GJ. You can pretty much hike anytime of the day in the desert. July starts to get hot (although not quite as hot as Phoenix) towards the later part of the month as 80keys said. However, you can still enjoy the desert before about noon or around dusk. For longer hikes head up to the Grand Mesa or further south to the San Juan Mtns. (Telluride, Ridgway, Ouray). In about an hour to an hour and a half you will be in some of the most beautiful mountains in the country. Hunting season doesn't really begin until the fall, so I wouldn't worry to much about that.

Honestly, I would plan a trip down to Moab in May. It's beautiful red rock canyon country! You might also think about heading further south to the four corners area and visit Mesa Verde. It's definitely worth the trip!

Enjoy your assignment! What hospital and unit will you be placed at?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:37 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
When I mentioned nearby hiking trails, I forgot to mention McGinnis Canyon, located just outside of Fruita, about 15 minutes down 340 from Grand Junction. Scenery-wise, it's a kissin cousin of the Colorado Monument, with a better trail system affording a variety of loop hikes ( most of the trails in the Monument reguire waliking in and out the same route ). What makes McGinnis Canyon even more to my liking, is the Hot Tomato Cafe in downtown Fruita. If you enjoy gourment quality pizza and New Belgium brews on tap, you will absolutely love the Hot Tomato. IMO, nothing beats a hike in the wilds followed up with pizza and cold beer on tap. McGinnis Canyon is a must hike destination while you guys are in the area.

There are additonal great hiking-biking trails a few miles west of Fruita off I-70 near the small town of Mack...I believe the area is referred to as Horsetheif Canyon. A little further west on I-70 is the Rabbit Valley hiking area.

Someone mentioned the mosquito issue on the Mesa, and I've heard that from many of the long time locals. However my own experience camping and hiking up there during the peak mosquito, makes me consider it a non-issue. Apparently those who think the mosquitos up there are bad, have never been in a place where the mosquitos ARE really bad. Just wear a high quality, natural oil repellant that can be purchased at the vitamin cottage and you'll have no trouble with the mosquitos.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:59 PM

177 posts, read 403,659 times
For the record, there is only one of me. Unless you count my kitties. ;-)

Old 04-25-2010, 03:08 PM

177 posts, read 403,659 times
And once I complete this assignment (hoping I will be able to extend) I do intend to spend a good month at the Biggest Loser resort in Ivins, Utah, so I'll definitely get to check out the hiking there. But hoping to do as much on my own as possible beforehand.

When I traveled before, I would take my juicer and plan all these healthy lifestyle changes, but I was so stressed it set off my emotional overeating, big time. But that was when I was going into nursing homes in management after bad state surveys, with huge pressure every day to complete an impossible number of tasks. I mean literally impossible. Yet every afternoon at our wrap up meetings, they would audit all of us unit managers in front of all the department heads, and no matter what had happened that day, we were expected to have EVERYTHING done. No matter what. They actually kept big check off lists all over the walls of the room and almost everything on them that had to be done fell on the unit managers. AND they delegated almost all the audits required for the state survey cleanup to the unit managers as well.

It was HORRIBLE. Worst job I ever had. I did it for so long because the pay was obscene, but in the end, so not worth it.

I'm looking forward to making a little less, but having a job not nearly as stressful.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 618 times
I may be taking a nurse travel assignment in GJ. I will be needing temporary housing. I would prefer a house so does anyone have any suggestions. I noticed all these post are a couple years old so I was hoping that there are a lot of options now. If I take the assignment I will be comming the first part of April. I was wanting something that is furnished with w/d and central air. I am from TX and like my airconditioning. lol

Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
I've been living in GJ for just under 6 years. During that time there have been perhaps 20 days when I wish I had AC, and those were on cloudy days during the monsoon season when the humidity was higher. The rest of the time, the ole swamp cooler works just fine. Prior to living in GJ, I lived in the very muggy climate of Virgina Beach where AC was quite essential from June thru mid September...and I'm very comfortable in GJ without AC.

As for locating a house to rent, I recommending staying in a hotel for a few days initially. While you're doing that, drive thru the neighborhoods within a few miles of your work location and look for the rental signs. I've seen them around, but I don't recall where I've seen them. Be prepared to pay a higher rent than comparable rentals in Texas.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,198,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvortechtraveler View Post
I may be taking a nurse travel assignment in GJ. I will be needing temporary housing. I would prefer a house so does anyone have any suggestions. I noticed all these post are a couple years old so I was hoping that there are a lot of options now. If I take the assignment I will be comming the first part of April. I was wanting something that is furnished with w/d and central air. I am from TX and like my airconditioning. lol
Is the agency you are working with not providing housing? My husband and I did the nurse travel thing for a while, and all the agencies we worked with provided housing for us. They were all apartments, but honestly, because the assignments are short term (3 months usually), it makes more sense to go with their housing. Have you worked as a travel nurse before? It's a lot of stress initially, so having them secure housing for you is just one less stressor to deal with. We actually traveled with our dog and cat too and had no problems. It's hard to find a rental, especially a house, that does month to month type leases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or