U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:10 PM

177 posts, read 404,639 times

Advertisements

I may be doing a travel nursing assignment in Grand Junction and need temp housing that will allow pets. Yeah, I know, but I have to start looking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:21 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,212,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPhoto View Post
I may be doing a travel nursing assignment in Grand Junction and need temp housing that will allow pets. Yeah, I know, but I have to start looking!
When my husband was a travel nurse, the companies always found and set up housing for us. We traveled with a dog and a cat and didn't have any trouble. I would ask the company to provide the housing! FYI, we used to live in Grand Junction and my husband worked at both hospitals in town.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:28 PM

I was hoping to find a better deal than a hotel so I could take the housing stipend and make some money off of it. Worst case I'll try to get them to put me in the Residence Inn if they'll go that high

What are the better restaurants? What kind of state parks/hiking trails are nearby? I'm pretty sure there are no Trader Joes there...any good health food type stores?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:51 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,212,358 times
Quote:
I was hoping to find a better deal than a hotel so I could take the housing stipend and make some money off of it. Worst case I'll try to get them to put me in the Residence Inn if they'll go that high

What are the better restaurants? What kind of state parks/hiking trails are nearby? I'm pretty sure there are no Trader Joes there...any good health food type stores?

Is that what the company is offering you, a hotel? We always had very nice apartments, even with a 3 month assignment. I'd try and work on that a little more before settling for a hotel!

Well, GJ is a typical western Colorado town. There is only one health food store that I know of, Vitamin Cottage. There used to be a great local health food store, but they went out of business. GJ lacks in the good restaurant department, especially if you are coming from a larger city. We moved away 2 years ago, so I don't know of the latest additions or closings. There used to be a great Thai place, that I hear is now located by the big Wal-Mart on Hwy. 6 & 50 in a strip mall setting. It changed names, but you'll be able to find it if it's still there. We also liked the pizza place downtown (sorry, I'm forgetting all the names of these places) and the Italian place. If you like breweries, don't bother with the Rockslide. Their beer is terrible and the food isn't much better. Go for Kannah Creek. The beer is pretty good and they have delicious pizzas. Other than that, I don't have any must go to places. Breakfast by far is the worst selection. Now that the Crystal Cafe is gone, I wouldn't know where to send you.

In terms of hiking, Colorado Natl. Monument is right on the edge of town. You definitely need to visit that! Look at the BLM for most hiking trails close by. Tabauche (sp) is a great area for a short mt. bike or hike/trail run in town. Moab is a little over an hour away, which is also a must see! However, in the heat of the summer, most of these trails are too hot to do during the day. It's a desert climate and you will feel it! To escape the heat you'll have to head up to the mountains. There is a scenic trail up on the Grand Mesa that's worth it.

Hope you enjoy your assignment. GJ is a beautiful place, but we just grew tired of the community.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,474,534 times
Delta is right about the restaurant scene. GJ is sorely lacking in that regard. The Kannah Creek Brewery is my favorite eatery. The beer is excellent and the pizza is OK. As for something more elegant than pizza and beer....I haven't found any place to write home about.

Hiking on the other hand is excellent. The Colorado National Monument has some fabulous scenery with several good trails. Since I can walk a half mile down the road from my front door, for day in and day out hiking I use the Tabaguache trail system in the BLM lands enroute to the Monument.

GJ is a great jumping off spot to places like Ouray ( called the Switzerland of America ) with hot springs, and great hiking options. Ouray is just under a two hour drive from GJ. Glenwood Springs is even closer. GS also has hot springs and good hiking trails. IMO, Moab offers the best hiking of them all with nearby Arches and Canyonland NPs. The best times for hiking in the Moab are Spring and Fall. Summers are very hot, and the trails can be quite muddy in the winter.

The Vitamin Cottage is the closest thing in GJ to Trader Joes, but it is not in the same ballpark. It is however quite adequate, and has lower prices on most comparable items found at Trader Joes, but the selection is far more limited than TJs offers.

For a short stay here I think you'll enjoy GJ. There are far worse places to be.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:57 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,922,291 times
Quote:

For month to month housing, try the Crossroads Park Apartments (detail below.) The good restaurants are:

- Famous Daves (BBQ)
- Zen Garden (sushi)
- Texas Roadhouse (steak)
- Il Doce Vita (Italian)
- Mongolian BBQ

It sounds like you're a vegetarian though which means there's no good restaurants for you in GJ.

There are no Trader Joes. GJ is not a yuppy place, it's the opposite It's a meat-eating farming type of community.

If you end up staying at REsidence Inn, don't bother eating at the restaurants on Horizon Drive there isn't anything good.

Hiking around here = hiking in the desert = no trees, exposed to the sun. The closest mountain hiking is the Grand Mesa which has some trails but you also gotta be cognizant of the hunting season out there.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:15 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,474,534 times
There are a number of good hiking trails on the Grand Mesa which is approx an hours drive from downtown GJ. My favorite trail is a National Recreation Trail called the Crag Crest Trail, but don't be surprised to encounter occassional 15 ft snowbanks on July 4th. That was the case 2 years ago when 447 inches of snow fell on the Grand Mesa over the course of the winter.
Although the Grand Mesa is considered the largest flat top mountain it has experienced the effects of glacial scouring leaving behind several peaks and drainages to play on. The average snowfall of 420 inches transforms the Grand Mesa into a snowy winter paradise

The Grand Mesa is also a quick and easy summer getaway from the incessant heat in the valley. When the temp is 98 degrees down in the valley, the temp on the Mesa is likely to be a much cooler 75 to 80 degrees.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:32 PM

WOw, lots of posts just in the last hour...thanks to everyone for the tips. This travel assignment has been confirmed with initial length of only 8 weeks, so it looks like Residence Inn for the 8 weeks, then probably some kind of apt if they extend for a traditional 13 week contract after that.

I'll probably try to eat in as much as possible, as I plan on taking advantage of hiking trails to start trying to get into shape. This is one travel assignment I intend to make sure does not pack on weight and hopefully takes it off.

How hot does it get in May, June and July?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:34 PM

PS. I spent over 13 years living in Phoenix, so desert climate is not anything new to me. Although I certainly didn't do much hiking there in the summer. Like....none. SO if if gets really hot (100+) I may be reduced to the hotel fitness center and early morning outings.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:55 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,922,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
The Grand Mesa is also a quick and easy summer getaway from the incessant heat in the valley. When the temp is 98 degrees down in the valley, the temp on the Mesa is likely to be a much cooler 75 to 80 degrees.
True. On the downside there's quite a mosquito nuisance up there in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or