U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 PM
 
1,381 posts, read 2,621,093 times
Reputation: 1683

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRiderJohnny View Post
I'm 40 yo single guy moving... I mean, escaping from the worst place on the planet.
Yes, you guessed it...los angeles.
I didn't guess it. I thought you were going to say Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 PM
 
Location: New York, NY on the west bank of the East River
1,978 posts, read 3,108,428 times
Reputation: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why limit yourself to the Western U.S.? Every single thing on your list we have in Virginia. What's nice here is people don't crawl all over each other to be at the same nice places at the same time. You can have a whole river to yourself while fishing. As for hunting, you might have to adjust your choice of animals a bit (not sure we have wild boar) but we've got loads of deer and bears as well as pheasant and other upland game birds. The people here are very friendly and much in line wiith your libertarian political beliefs as we have just about the most relaxed gun laws in the nation.
I dunno, I think being in the West is probably in the OP's better interest if he's from California. Just my opinion though. VA is a really, really conservative state with really intense law enforcement (from my experience), and it is densely populated, especially compared to the West. Hell, I'm originally from Alabama, and even it's densely populated compared to a large majority of the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
2,221 posts, read 4,652,297 times
Reputation: 1682
Fort Garland, Colorado is calling you, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,255,168 times
Reputation: 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I dunno, I think being in the West is probably in the OP's better interest if he's from California. Just my opinion though. VA is a really, really conservative state with really intense law enforcement (from my experience), and it is densely populated, especially compared to the West. Hell, I'm originally from Alabama, and even it's densely populated compared to a large majority of the West.
It's only densely populated in the inner suburbs of DC and around Richmond and Newport News/Norfolk/VA Beach. Once you get an hour beyond those places it's pretty wide open and scenic with rolling farmlands, hardwood forests, rivers, and the Blue Ridge mountains. Compared to Santa Monica where he is now he'd find it very pastoral and uncrowded. The problem in the West is it's hard to find smaller homes and lots surrounded by scenic and wide open space that aren't outrageously priced. Here in VA that's not the case. The home price/natural beauty ratio here is much better in my opinion. Part of that is because the Federal govt. owns much of the open land in the West, whereas here it owns very little and land is mainly owned by farmers or other private landholders.

http://www.rnpc.org/images/Autumn%20Morning.bmp (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
Reputation: 9287
HunterRiderJohnny wrote:
I live in santa monica right now. I hate it.. I hate the people, claustrophobic lifestyle, and everything in between.
This might sound a bit harsh but IMO, it needs to be said. You seem like so many others who put the cart before the horse by wanting your surroundings to be different without first changing yourself. Hate is an inside job. Unless you let go of it, right where you are now, you'll be bringing it with you WHEREVER you go.
I'd love to find a place where the women aren't souless, dead-behind-the-eye, fake EVERYTHING, materialistic succubi...
If you are currently seeing women as souless, dead-behind-the-eye, fake EVERYTHING, materialistic succubi...then you will probably see the same thing WHEREVER you are.
And the guys aren't a bunch of soft, sackless whiners driving their bmw's with that stupid bluetooth stuck in their ear.
Same thing with your perception of guys. If you are currently seeing guys as a a bunch of soft, sackless whiners driving their bmw's with that stupid bluetooth stuck in their ear. chances are that you'll see the same thing WHEREVER you are.

I strongly encourage you to first change your attitude and your perceptions of other people, before making a relocation. This will greatly enahnce your liklihood of finding a place that fits you better. Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 04-27-2010 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 AM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,108,652 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
HunterRiderJohnny wrote:
I live in santa monica right now. I hate it.. I hate the people, claustrophobic lifestyle, and everything in between.
Hate is an inside job. Unless you let go of it, right where you are now, you'll be bringing it with you WHEREVER you go.
I couldn't agree more with Cosmic (great minds think alike) and whenever I see words like 'escape' and 'hate' in reference to one particular geo it sets off a red light (or a at least a yellow one) in my mind. I went to college in LA/OC, and was stuck there for several years and I truly hated living there too. But for me, moving away was not the solution to my unhappiness. It was my change of attitude which led to many new work and social opportunities once I moved. If you really hate LA that much, then, with the right attitude, you will likely enjoy living in just about any other place more, since there is only one LA. It's not that the people themselves are that much worse there, but the prevailing attitude is that due to their weather and beaches (which are far inferior that of San Diego and central CA, IMO) and other notable attractions they seem to have it in their head that they reside in the greatest spot on the planet, which of course is far from factual and can be really annoying if you happen to disagree.

Do you have friends or family whose company you enjoy in another city or state? Do you have any decent employment opportunities in those areas? If so, my suggestion is to move to one of those places with a positive attitude and it will likely go well for you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
Reputation: 9287
treedonkey wrote:
I went to college in LA/OC, and was stuck there for several years and I truly hated living there too. But for me, moving away was not the solution to my unhappiness. It was my change of attitude which led to many new work and social opportunities once I moved.
My post #15 is also based on personal experience. Whenever I have changed locations, I've usually done so having specific hates or strong dislikes with regard to where I was currently living. Initially in my new location those old hates seemed to have vanished, but as soon as the newness wears off, those old hates are mysteriously still there....inside of me, waiting for me to change myself. The old cliche, wherever you go, there you are ..... is so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 AM
 
12,842 posts, read 24,478,691 times
Reputation: 18835
I think the OP might find what he hates in any upscale, urban place, although I've "heard" that southern California has moved it to a fine art. A friend of mine was there for specialized martial arts training, and said that there were billboards and all for plastic surgery and botox and stuff, and people really did look... overdone. I think any area where this kind of "values" is important is going to have a lot of what the OP hates, and I'd venture to say there will be less of it in a place where there is... less... of it.
(I had that feeling the one time I visited Telluride. It was something about the shiny conspicuous consumption everywhere, and the palpable feel of cocaine).
I did think that the OP might have been a bit far into what he hates, referring to having had it, the celeb friends, etc.etc. So maybe there is a bit of rejection there for what he formerly thought was important.
As ever, moving anywhere, especially not to an urban area, is work. Income. The OP didn't say anything about his requirements there. Maybe he made his money in Santa Monica and needn't worry about it?
I concur about the lack of a single life in any non-metro area. That seems common everywhere.
Virginia is HUMID. Even up higher, as far as I'm concerned.
Hey. West Virginia. The metro area of the capital (which still doesn't really hit urban standards of B.S.). Mountains, hunting, fishing, and something of a nightlife in the main city, and not a college frat feel. An old friend from Pittsburgh moved there, and plays music in clubs, teaches a little music for theater, and otherwise makes a living from his music interests while living on some kind of rural property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 12:48 PM
 
9,816 posts, read 19,021,080 times
Reputation: 7537
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think the OP might find what he hates in any upscale, urban place, although I've "heard" that southern California has moved it to a fine art. A friend of mine was there for specialized martial arts training, and said that there were billboards and all for plastic surgery and botox and stuff, and people really did look... overdone. I think any area where this kind of "values" is important is going to have a lot of what the OP hates, and I'd venture to say there will be less of it in a place where there is... less... of it.
(I had that feeling the one time I visited Telluride. It was something about the shiny conspicuous consumption everywhere, and the palpable feel of cocaine).
I did think that the OP might have been a bit far into what he hates, referring to having had it, the celeb friends, etc.etc. So maybe there is a bit of rejection there for what he formerly thought was important.
As ever, moving anywhere, especially not to an urban area, is work. Income. The OP didn't say anything about his requirements there. Maybe he made his money in Santa Monica and needn't worry about it?
I concur about the lack of a single life in any non-metro area. That seems common everywhere.
Virginia is HUMID. Even up higher, as far as I'm concerned.
Hey. West Virginia. The metro area of the capital (which still doesn't really hit urban standards of B.S.). Mountains, hunting, fishing, and something of a nightlife in the main city, and not a college frat feel. An old friend from Pittsburgh moved there, and plays music in clubs, teaches a little music for theater, and otherwise makes a living from his music interests while living on some kind of rural property.
Morgantown West Virginia isn't half bad. I almost ended up going to school there and now I pass through once or twice a month and stop for dinner.

Like my great friend said there is no geographic cure. Sure I think a change of scene can be great but often what people are looking for is within them and a move will not change it.

Women tend to gravitate towards metro areas for a lot of reasons so usually the rural areas are a bit tougher, not to mention that people marry younger in rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 PM
 
4,406 posts, read 5,318,162 times
Reputation: 2890
My first thought was Flagstaff AZ because it has liberal politics and yet you can still go hunting, fishing, camping, etc. College towns are pretty cool generally speaking. It is one of the more expensive places to live in the state, however. In CO itself, I would suggest Fort Collins. Some of its citizens told me they felt like they're in Wyoming already since there's a gap between their town and the rest of the Front Range cities. I can't speak for anything out East since it doesn't appeal to my western sensibilities and esthetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top