U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 7,392 times

Advertisements

Johnny, I like your philosophy. It sounds like you are laid back and open to making new friends, which I think will serve you well no matter where you end up. I've spent the majority of my life in the Washington DC metro area, and will be relocating to Denver in July.. I'm simply ecstatic. I've researched the positives and the negatives, and have come to the realization that no matter where you go, you must go with an open mind and a smile on your face. Sounds cheesy, but I've spent so many years in a place where a smile is met with a scowl that I've come to appreciate the knowledge that one must learn to take the good with the bad. I'm sure it's frustrating to Colorado natives to have a lot of Cali transplants moving in, but this natural migration and shift of the US population is another thing I've come to recognize and accept in my 25 years here on Earth. Growing up in Northern Virginia, the majority of people in our neighborhoods and surrounding areas were of caucasion descent and Christian background. This has changed vastly in the last 15 years or so, with many different ethnicities and religions now living together. The culture barrier is a challenging and frustrating one but diversity can be rewarding as well. I've learned to accept the fact that the "modern United States" is one in which people of all different races and religions are going to spread out and live wherever. That being said, I hope there isn't *too* much of a stigma against Virginia ex-pats heading out West! Looking forward to the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,129,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_girl View Post
That being said, I hope there isn't *too* much of a stigma against Virginia ex-pats heading out West! Looking forward to the move.
No, there really isn't. It's really just Texans and especially California that are the evil ones. Which makes me especially evil, having moved here from CA less than 2 years ago. And even then, that stigma has only ever been expressed toward me online. Never in person. They probably think it, and then go online and complain about it, but they never say anything.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,354,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_girl View Post
That being said, I hope there isn't *too* much of a stigma against Virginia ex-pats heading out West! Looking forward to the move.
I'm a third generation native Californian but have lived in Virginia the past 20 years. On top of that one set of great grandparents emigrated to CA from Southern CO so you could say I'm a CO descendent. If I were to move to CO I'd probably just tell folks I was from VA. However, the funny thing is that the Californians you don't like are probably non-natives who moved there a few years before from a bunch of other places and then couldn't take CA anymore. They're probably originally New Yorkers.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,595,199 times
"It's really just Texans and especially California that are the evil ones."

Maybe I should just say "No hablo Anglais" instead of admitting I'm from Texas. Then you are required to accept me by law, right?.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:18 AM

4,932 posts, read 8,951,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRiderJohnny View Post
I'm 40 yo single guy moving... I mean, escaping from the worst place on the planet.
Yes, you guessed it...los angeles.
I live in santa monica right now. I hate it.. I hate the people, claustrophobic lifestyle, and everything in between. Smug, smarmy prius driving tools that only think of themselves...and their next botox fix. I feel like I'm slowly rotting away, day by day.. It's dirty, crowded and unless you like to **** away a lot of money at idiotic clubs or on something retarded like ed hardy, there really is not much to do.
I like to hunt, fish...and ride motorcycles without the constant fear of some "twittiot" on their cell phone obliviously trying to kill me. I like dive bars, pubs, and grillin' outback with friends. I could care less about the ocean...it has sharks in it. I like lakes and rivers. And a trout won't bite you in half.
I'd love to find a place where the women aren't souless, dead-behind-the-eye, fake EVERYTHING, materialistic succubi...
And the guys aren't a bunch of soft, sackless whiners driving their bmw's with that stupid bluetooth stuck in their ear.
wow....I really need outta here.
Sounds like you're meant for Colorado.

Quote:
I've been looking into Oregon as well. Don't mind rain as long as there's tons to do. I like an active night life (i'm single), but not somewhere over run with college kids that every pub is like a frat house. I'm very cool with a mix of people. My politics are as follows: gun rights, gay rights, ganja..right on!, gal's right to choose...FREEDOM. Along those lines anyway. Pretty simple, middle of the road I guess.
Portand is very liberal. I think it's the most liberal city in the U.S.
Denver (and Colorado) is middle-of the road. It's got a balanced mix of all politics. Mostly you're left alone to do what you want.

Quote:
Anyone know where to hunt boar, deer, or upland game birds???
For deer and elk one of the most sought-after parts of colorado is the Western slope area where I live. This includes surrounding areas of Grand Junction.

Arizona is where the javelina (boar) is at. There's no boar hunting in Colorado.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 PM

79 posts, read 120,515 times
There is boar hunting on CO's Western Slope. Not wild boar, however. This is private game preserve hunting, but is still considered fair chase.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:47 PM

22 posts, read 53,232 times
First of all, I want to thank everybody for going out of their way to help me out. I really, really appreciate all of your input....even the forum "psycho-therapists"..
I will be happier wherever I go...guaranteed! I just would like to narrow it down to where I would be Happiest...ya know?
A wonderful suggestion was Grand Junction. I'm leaning towards that, Bend Oregon, and a couple other towns I think I might like. Or maybe just move to Denver just because WRX_Girl sounds like an awesome person to know
Like I said before, fishing, hunting, hiking, motorcycles and snowmobiles are HUGE with me and a must have. Bars and nightlife...eh, not so much. I meet people fairly easy and get along with just about anybody anyway...I'll manage. I just want to try and avoid a place where literally everyone is married or illegal to date...

"I think the OP might find what he hates in any upscale, urban place, although I've "heard" that southern California has moved it to a fine art. A friend of mine was there for specialized martial arts training, and said that there were billboards and all for plastic surgery and botox and stuff, and people really did look... overdone. I think any area where this kind of "values" is important is going to have a lot of what the OP hates, and I'd venture to say there will be less of it in a place where there is... less... of it."
...I think BrightDogLover and I just became best friends!...

As far as employment. I'm a pretty resourceful guy and I don't mind hard work at all. I know i can find something if I just start talking to people. It's always worked for me in the past and I'm very open to anything NOT behind a desk. I'd rather be in a locked cage full of angry chimps than stuck behind a desk...
Hope everyone is having a great day!
thanks a ton for all your help!
~Johnny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or