U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,571,812 times

Advertisements

If you can work from home via the web, that is a huge plus. That is our family's situation, though we live about 1.5 hours away from Salida. We're considerably higher up, and typically 10-15 deg cooler.

If it's cold and windy, we just stay inside. I think it helps to have space and lots of south facing windows... wards off cabin fever over winter.

I would not live here if I had to work out in the weather over winter, or if we had to live in a small home, I think our kids would go crazy!

With internet work, you're not taking jobs from locals, but instead bringing money to the area. A win-win.

BTW we have two internet connections, DSL (1.5kb/s) and Satellite (12 kb/s). It's not unusual for the DSL (century link - terrible service) to drop out a few times a week. The new generation of wild blue satellites are expensive, but pretty reliable and they will support a VIP (virtual private network). Maybe there are better options if you're living in the town of Salida.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
If you are female, the odds are good but the goods are odd.
Classic!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,201,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I would not live here if I had to work out in the weather over winter, or if we had to live in a small home, I think our kids would go crazy!
I lived in Fairplay for about 4 years in the late 90s-early 00s. I was working for the Forest Service and we were the only crew marking timber sales for the entire Pike/San Isabel NFs. We worked every day of the year and didn't take winters off like many of the other crews because, for the most part, the timber sales were still accessible because they were in Ponderosa Pine. We spent one winter marking some sales between Salida and Buena Vista and I thought the weather was rather pleasant. As long as we were dressed properly, it didn't feel cold. When you adapt to it, it's not as cold as you think. There were only a handful of days that I wished I was inside rather than out in the woods.

If I could figure out a way not to rely on the local economy, I would move to Salida or Buena Vista in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, unless my husband and I can both find jobs there, we couldn't afford to live there.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I lived in Fairplay for about 4 years in the late 90s-early 00s. I was working for the Forest Service and we were the only crew marking timber sales for the entire Pike/San Isabel NFs. We worked every day of the year and didn't take winters off like many of the other crews because, for the most part, the timber sales were still accessible because they were in Ponderosa Pine. We spent one winter marking some sales between Salida and Buena Vista and I thought the weather was rather pleasant. As long as we were dressed properly, it didn't feel cold. When you adapt to it, it's not as cold as you think. There were only a handful of days that I wished I was inside rather than out in the woods.

If I could figure out a way not to rely on the local economy, I would move to Salida or Buena Vista in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, unless my husband and I can both find jobs there, we couldn't afford to live there.
Were you sheltered from the wind while working in the trees? If your work allows you to keep mittens on, it's not too bad, but below 45 deg with the wind my hands hurt after 10-20 mins of exposure.

When the wife and I first moved to Colorado we rode the high up terrain at Love Land day in day out for a season in any and all weather. We could keep our mittens on and we were moving, so it wasn't too bad - except for the time we got stuck on the lift in high winds for an hour...

Old 04-22-2013, 12:38 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,201,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Were you sheltered from the wind while working in the trees? If your work allows you to keep mittens on, it's not too bad, but below 45 deg with the wind my hands hurt after 10-20 mins of exposure.

When the wife and I first moved to Colorado we rode the high up terrain at Love Land day in day out for a season in any and all weather. We could keep our mittens on and we were moving, so it wasn't too bad - except for the time we got stuck on the lift in high winds for an hour...
The trees definitely helped to provide some shelter. I had to use my hands though, so mittens weren't really an option. I did wear leather gloves and then removed them when I needed to write or take measurements. I think I adapted pretty well though after spending day after day out in the conditions. I also lived in Fairplay, which was always cold and windy. Going to the Arkansas Valley felt really warm. I'm sure I would freeze now that I don't work outside for a living!

Getting stuck on a ski lift in high winds just plain sucks! There's nothing that protects you from the elements out there. Hopefully you were offered a free lift ticket or something!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Getting stuck on a ski lift in high winds just plain sucks! There's nothing that protects you from the elements out there. Hopefully you were offered a free lift ticket or something!
They just gave us free hot chocolate vouchers. We had to leave for the day because we so freaking cold. We had season passes, so I guess it didn't really matter.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM

19 posts, read 60,975 times
Is it always windy in Salida - or is it always or sometimes breezy? What's the difference - windy = obnoxious, breezy = tolerable. Is it windier at certain times of the year?

I spend a LOT of time in Salida, but to me these past few months have been abnormally windy. Maybe just my perception.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM

575 posts, read 669,940 times
Colorado is a windy state in general. Spring is usually very windy. I find Buena Vista and Fairplay to be windier than Salida however Salida gets its fair share. I think the wind you have been experiencing is pretty typical. By summer and into Fall it will quiet down.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:40 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,620,117 times
Rule of thumb in Salida, when the snow is off Mt Methodist the wind will die down. Just how it works.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM

575 posts, read 669,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Rule of thumb in Salida, when the snow is off Mt Methodist the wind will die down. Just how it works.
That is a good rule of thumb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado