Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:30 PM

19 posts, read 71,319 times

Advertisements

Hi - I know Salida in the fall, spring and summer like the back of my hand. A little bit of winter too. My question is, with Salida's average annual snowfall of 48 inches, how does it typically fall? A few storms with big snowfall amounts? More frequent storms with a few inches falling? And, I assume it does not last on the ground too long - am I right? How about the wind during winter snowfalls - see much white-out / blizzard conditions? Much drifting snow?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,567 times
It typically snows a few inches than melts in a couple of days. It's the banana belt of CO. Rarely does it white out. Here's what happened two winters ago, Monarch got 70 inches of snow in 36 hours and Salida 25 minutes away got 7, amazing microclimate. RP

Old 09-01-2010, 10:31 PM

8 posts, read 40,218 times
Yup. An underappreciated region. Amazing more people haven't discovered it yet!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
Yup. An underappreciated region. Amazing more people haven't discovered it yet!
Well, except NO JOBS. I also chuckle about the "Banana Belt" comments. Salida has a mild climate for its elevation, but there are many, many places that are milder in the winter than Salida--Cañon City just down the road comes easily to mind, as do the western valleys in Colorado. I know Salida quite well--and one feature of the winter weather not frequently mentioned by the people pimping it is the frequent wind in the winter. It blows a lot.

Salida is gorgeous in summer, but about 7-8 months of brown the rest of year does not equate as "mild" in most people's minds.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:41 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Salida is the next Summit County as the Pueblo and Colorado Springs area continue to grow. That is because Salida is the play ground for us much like Summit County is Denver's play ground. One thing that will help the area is making Highway 50 four lanes and building some kind of rail from Pueblo maybe even HSR in the future as the region grows.

Last edited by Josseppie; 09-02-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 AM

19 posts, read 71,319 times
Hi
Have these past few months (January - April 2013) in Salida been windier than normal for the time of year?
M

Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 AM

462 posts, read 1,173,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyg View Post
Hi
Have these past few months (January - April 2013) in Salida been windier than normal for the time of year?
M
Not really. It always windy here and it's obnoxious. You can dress for the cold but that wind really takes it out of you.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Salida is the next Summit County as the Pueblo and Colorado Springs area continue to grow. That is because Salida is the play ground for us much like Summit County is Denver's play ground. One thing that will help the area is making Highway 50 four lanes and building some kind of rail from Pueblo maybe even HSR in the future as the region grows.
Completely disagree. It's not that Chaffee county has a bad economy, it's that it has no economy. The WalMart and the prison are the biggest employers. I can see how it would be a great place to retire for the very active and affluent set but it's a terrible struggle for everyone else.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM

129 posts, read 250,127 times
Lugnuts, sounds like you live there?

How do you think Salida would be for someone who works via the internet?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
Lugnuts, sounds like you live there?

How do you think Salida would be for someone who works via the internet?
Yes, I'm in Chaffee Co. It really depends on your interests. It's beautiful. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do-great mbiking, rafting, fly fishing, hiking, etc,etc. People are great. Schools are good by CO standards, less so by national standards. Low crime that tends to be petty theft. It is very demographically challenged though. Most middle aged people who care about having a career are on the front range. So that leaves a younger 20-something set who want to board/ski and raft, and the affluent retiree set. There is a small group of IT telecommuters but it's hard to get a feel of how big this group is. I recently bumped into a late 30s/early 40s IT guy and I was shocked that he had lived here for 7 years. Never seen him before. You would think that in a small town everyone would know everyone else but that's not necessarily the case. Make sure that you want all four seasons if you move here as you will get them (sometimes in the same day!) The wind is a PITA but like most annoying things, you learn to deal with it. Being single here will be tough. If you are female, the odds are good but the goods are odd.

If you lurk on the different CD forums you will often see the same advice repeated: rent first. This is ESPECIALLY important in rural CO. If you buy, plan on being stuck for a while. Hope this helps. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado