U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,084,966 times

Advertisements

I've never taken this one. However I remember blowing a toll in Illinois once. But that was years ago and I never got a bill. Although, I was in a rental car. . haha.

I wish there was a better way to use the toll system. I've found myself several times in a strange city trying to get around and end up on a dumb toll road without any cash. What a sick feeling! Once I pulled up to the booth and explained I was from out of town and didn't have cash on me, they let me through. Sweet..

Another time I creeped up far enough the person behind me paid and we both went through. . They probably thought I was a real jerk. . haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:37 AM

19 posts, read 159,888 times
I just received a bill from them. $18... What the heck. There is no sign saying that it would be so expensive anywhere. We could have easily taken other roads if I knew it would be so expensive. I've taken toll ways all over this continent, they are normally just a couple of dollars for such a distance. We took it to connect I-70 and I-25. According to google maps, we saved a total of 4 minutes.

We took the road on July 11. Statement printed Sept 5, received Sept 13 and due date is Sept 30. Looks like they are deliberately doing it slowly to get late fees?

We liked the scenes in CO and were thinking about going there next year for vacation. But with this bill, I am not stepping into CO again. Just keep my $18.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM

2,866 posts, read 7,100,574 times
It's no big deal, and no more expensive than when there were people still in the booths. They just take a picture of your licence plate, and mail it to the address on file that your DMV has for you (which may explain why it takes so long to get to you in some cases) A lot of people don't update their new addresses with their DMV, and if you don't, that's on you.
I actually kind of like it, you don't have to stop at all, just hammer through it. Although sometimes I don't feel like spending the money, so I just take i-25 to 225 to Pena. If it's not morning or evening, there's not much traffic. I only take the E-470 during rush hour.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 AM

18,920 posts, read 8,888,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
It's no big deal, and no more expensive than when there were people still in the booths. They just take a picture of your licence plate, and mail it to the address on file that your DMV has for you (which may explain why it takes so long to get to you in some cases) A lot of people don't update their new addresses with their DMV, and if you don't, that's on you.
I actually kind of like it, you don't have to stop at all, just hammer through it. Although sometimes I don't feel like spending the money, so I just take i-25 to 225 to Pena. If it's not morning or evening, there's not much traffic. I only take the E-470 during rush hour.
Come on now. C-470 is EXPENSIVE.

You can drive from New York City to Buffalo on the toll road NYS Thruway ( a distance of 396 miles) for about the same price you can drive C-470 for a total of 56 miles.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:58 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,624,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

You can drive from New York City to Buffalo on the toll road NYS Thruway ( a distance of 396 miles) for about the same price you can drive C-470 for a total of 56 miles.
Not exactly, but here are some numbers:

NYS Thruway - NYC line to PA line (I-87 and I-90), 496 mi $22.75 (includes bridge tolls)

PA Turnpike - NJ line to OH line, 357 mi $32.30

E-470 - I-25 to 96th St, 55 miles $17.90

Never been on E-470 and never plan to use it.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:52 PM

18,920 posts, read 8,888,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Not exactly, but here are some numbers:

NYS Thruway - NYC line to PA line (I-87 and I-90), 496 mi $22.75 (includes bridge tolls)

PA Turnpike - NJ line to OH line, 357 mi $32.30

E-470 - I-25 to 96th St, 55 miles $17.90

Never been on E-470 and never plan to use it.
According to the NYS Thruway website, from NYC to Buffalo is $20.60.
According to the C-470 website, the toll around about a third of Denver is $17.90.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:31 PM

19 posts, read 159,888 times
I consider it a rip off because
1. It is indeed way higher than the normal tolls I used to pay.
2. There is no sign indicating the cost anywhere. They could give me the warning and I would be happy to get off the toll way, at least after the first toll booth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post

Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM

53 posts, read 129,647 times
Interesting...

They maybe using the Whitest technology from Canada & IBM/USA/EUROPE (Toronto 407-ETR (Express Toll Route)), similar technology used in the North-east.

When you enter the toll-route there's a bunch of black sensors on the top.

As long as you drive through it (there maybe signs on the left, right saying IF YOU CONTINUE YOU HAVE NO CHOICE but to PAY IF YOU GO THROUGH IT!) your license plate gets recorded into the system.

Every entry and exit makes a time, date, plate# in the database.

Weekly/monthly/nightly they automatically process the data and bill it.

If you have a out of state plate or haven't been to it before (CO state) they bill the SOS (Secretary of State).

A few things...
#1. they nee to be MORE UP FRONT with the signs...
#2. Full disclosure is ALWAYS the best...
#3. For the operator this gets rid of the manual toll both saving YOU TIME (No stopping, slowing down, creating a queue of vehicles to get into the booths).

EzPass on steroids, etc.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 AM

2,866 posts, read 7,100,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvon View Post
I consider it a rip off because
1. It is indeed way higher than the normal tolls I used to pay.
2. There is no sign indicating the cost anywhere. They could give me the warning and I would be happy to get off the toll way, at least after the first toll booth.
Trust me buddy, if you've ever been caught in a traffic jam near Arapahoe road on I-25, you'd gladly pay the $10 or so they charge you one way to use the E-470. It's worth it to bypass that, in my opinion. The last time I decided to take i-25 in the morning, I nearly missed my flight because I was stuck in NON MOVING traffic for over an hour and half.

Don't act like you didn't know it wasn't a toll road. If you don't wanna pay for it, don't take it, it's that simple.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 AM

29 posts, read 42,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

C-470 (on the West side of Denver) is FREE
E-470 (East side of Denver) is the toll road

E-470 doesn't save that much time unless it's rush hour and there are many alternate routes to avoid driving on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado