U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:16 AM

2,670 posts, read 1,673,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
IN 9 years living here, I've never used any of the toll roads here, but every sign I've seen for them, including E(xpensive) 470, the sign is clearly marked Toll Road.

That's my point. I'm not saying it isn't stupid expensive. I'm not saying car rental companies make it more difficult than it needs to be. But everything there is clearly marked and there are alternate routes around it. It is hardly the only way through Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,809 posts, read 37,497,249 times
but ... E-470 is the LIKELY route for an 'unsuspecting' newcomer headed North or South of Denver, KS.

In a hurry to a funeral, wedding, or hospital,?... Late at night, in the snow, early in AM ??... Strangers to the area are not probable to be snaking around rural roads finding a way to avoid a $40 - $80 future bill they are not aware they will be receiving.

Granted, many options. but... actually there are SIMPLE (but not available) solutions.
when visitor realizes they are on a "Toll Road" with no toll booths / method of self pay...
1) phone in toll (ez as a sign and a phone number at what 98% of international travelers would expect to see as a "toll booth"
2) Web toll
3) service bureau toll (Such as any 7-11, which much of the world uses for 'topping-off' Tolls / SIM / utilities / cash cards / parking / traffic fines / red light / speed cameras...)
4) Tin can with a slot and envelope (salvaged from Gov closed campgrounds)

Imagine 10,s of thousands of less stressed, out of state travelers, interested in spending more money in CO. (rather than $100 to a NJ bill collector for a CO $7 toll).

Good thing the 'armed' angry young males in CO don't get rammed through this procedure... (fortunately they most often have a "Greenie" plate, so they get by FAR cheaper / Under $50)

Old 09-08-2017, 11:08 AM

1,019 posts, read 991,486 times
sasimfrasim .... I just pay

Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 PM

459 posts, read 143,296 times
This happened to me one time driving on the toll roads in Dallas. I would have been happy to pay the bill, but they never sent me one... until two years later, and it was from a collection agency. Because I refuse to deal with collection agencies, I wrote them back with a cease and desist letter. The end!

Toll roads should have the option of cash payment at a toll booth or a transponder. Their collection rate would go way up! Photographing license plates and mailing bills should work, in theory, but in practice it does not. The reason is the people who run toll roads are government employees (or subcontractors, same thing in practice), and you know how that goes.... slow as molasses and quick to blame the victim.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:59 AM

262 posts, read 135,258 times
I have visited Colorado as tourist in rental car and avoided using express lanes or e-470 which really did not need to use, due to high administrative fees slapped by rental car agency for using toll roads on top of higher toll rates billed as LicensePlate even though they equip their car with ExpressToll sticker. I love how ExpressToll agency say you can opt out and order and use own before using the toll road. Except, they fail to mention if your car rental agency uses non-removable RFID windshield sticker, you are stuck using theirs.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Let's hope the OP never travels to NYC over the I-278 Verrazano Narrows Bridge. The toll for a visitor for a 2.6 mile span is $17.00
The cost of maintaining bridge is a lot higher than roads though. And they charge only one way, so its really $8.50 one way.

Although it makes me wonder why the tolls are twice as high as Golden Gate Bridge or Bay Bridge in San Francisco. GGB only charges $1 more for toll by plate.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:57 PM

441 posts, read 820,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
I have visited Colorado as tourist in rental car and avoided using express lanes or e-470 which really did not need to use, due to high administrative fees slapped by rental car agency for using toll roads on top of higher toll rates billed as LicensePlate even though they equip their car with ExpressToll sticker. I love how ExpressToll agency say you can opt out and order and use own before using the toll road. Except, they fail to mention if your car rental agency uses non-removable RFID windshield sticker, you are stuck using theirs.

Are they still doing this late billing scam? I rented a car in August 2017 out of DIA and because it was like 12:30am and I was driving up to WY on the way for the eclipse, I took E470 (Normally I'd avoid tolls, but seemed quicker and I was tired from flying/working). I haven't seen a charge from the car rental CO yet. I expected something like $4 fee + toll of maybe 5-8$ (airport to 25N). Now wondering if they bill directly, but my understanding was the rental car would just tack it on my bill. It's end of Sept, and I haven't seen a thing.

They were oh so kind to tack on $14 for reporting me to Boulder for a red light camera ticket of $75. I haven't had a traffic ticket in like 15 years. I'll never return to Boulder. I couldn't believe how congested it was at 1pm on a weekday. Lots of speeders pulled over in Golden area too.

Is it true what I read earlier in this thread about just not paying the fine and it goes away if not served in 90days? I don't live in CO and don't plan to return in the near future.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:09 PM

If you believe it was your fault pay the ticket, otherwise you risk late fee and dealing with a collection agency.

It may take several weeks for tolls to be processed. Not all agencies use wireless transponders, some opt in to PlatePass that use camera to take photo of your license plate to process invoice. Your rental agency then gets the bill and charges your credit card.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,809 posts, read 37,497,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
If you believe it was your fault pay the ticket, otherwise you risk late fee and dealing with a collection agency.

It may take several weeks for tolls to be processed. Not all agencies use wireless transponders, some opt in to PlatePass that use camera to take photo of your license plate to process invoice. Your rental agency then gets the bill and charges your credit card.
or... this is how it has always happened in the past...
  • the rental car agency gets the bill.
  • Rental company provides YOUR DL / Contact information to tolling company (resulting in a $40+ "service fee" (charged by rental company to your card /via agreement you signed acknowledging the rental company will do this for citations / tolls due)
  • Toll Pay company will automatically pass your bill to a 'collections agency', because of the 'third party' issue that YOU were not driving a vehicle registered to YOU, but that of a third party who authorized permission for you to use their vehicle. (harder for legal 'enforcement' of Toll company, so they give away to collections company so toll company doesn't have to dink with you)
  • Collections company will come aggressively AFTER waiting till you owe fines / delinquency + toll.

so...
you spent 3-7 minutes on E-470 (3 months ago) and you NOW owe
  • $40 - $60 service fee to rental company
  • Toll
  • Fines
  • late fees
  • service fees for collection agency
  • potential credit hit for missing payment (that you knew nothing about / or how to pay, nor WAY to pay...)

Sweet deal...

Old 09-22-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
Are they still doing this late billing scam? I rented a car in August 2017 out of DIA and because it was like 12:30am and I was driving up to WY on the way for the eclipse, I took E470 (Normally I'd avoid tolls, but seemed quicker and I was tired from flying/working). I haven't seen a charge from the car rental CO yet. I expected something like $4 fee + toll of maybe 5-8$ (airport to 25N). Now wondering if they bill directly, but my understanding was the rental car would just tack it on my bill. It's end of Sept, and I haven't seen a thing.

They were oh so kind to tack on $14 for reporting me to Boulder for a red light camera ticket of $75. I haven't had a traffic ticket in like 15 years. I'll never return to Boulder. I couldn't believe how congested it was at 1pm on a weekday. Lots of speeders pulled over in Golden area too.

Is it true what I read earlier in this thread about just not paying the fine and it goes away if not served in 90days? I don't live in CO and don't plan to return in the near future.
I wouldn't worry about StealthRabbit's response, especially if you rented the car from a reputable agency like Avis/Budget, Enterprise or Hertz. These guys enroll you in a toll payment plan automatically but don't charge you if you don't use tolls at all. However, some will charge a service fee for each day once you use it, even on days you don't. Worse if you rented from one of those cheaper like Dollar-Rent-A-Car or Fox. If you don't enroll in their overpriced "all-inclusive" daily plan and use electronic tolls, they will slap you with high administrative. fees. Sunpass website has good overview of nationwide rental car agencies toll plans that are valid not just for Florida but all states.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

You can go to Highway Toll Administration website to look up your toll bill. You will need you credit card or contract number.
https://www.htallc.com/ReceiptRequestAgencies.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado