U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:27 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,809,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Sterlinggirl, it`s not about trying to tell somebody what they can`t do. It`s about showing common courtsey to your neighbors. Something that I try to give to my neighbors.I guess you missed that one.
There's nothing courteous about it. You're trying to use the HOA to force your neighbor to do without something he likes (without compensation) so that you will have free access to something you like.

If you don't have those rights, the courteous thing to do is follow CAVA's advice to buy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 06:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,265,938 times
So in your mind it`s all about what my neighbor wants but nobody else around him....

Old 05-01-2010, 06:47 PM

3,585 posts, read 9,036,363 times
Quote:
So in your mind it`s all about what my neighbor wants but nobody else around him....
If there is not protected right that he is violating, why should he give up his rights for someone's benefit without being compensated for it? It the community good overrides the individual, then the community should pay the costs instead of the individual.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,124,456 times
Quote:
Its called private property, one of the founding principles of this country. Unless he signed a contract promising to never plant trees, you have no right to tell him what to do.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,265,938 times
Like I said ,it`s about being a good neighbor to those around you. Being that some of you all having the same thinking here is what makes me see that being considerate of others doesn`t top your list. That`s why we have so many problems in todays society. It`s a "all about me attitude."

Old 05-02-2010, 11:14 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,230,635 times
I'll play devil's advocate here.

It's not about being a "good neighbor;" it's about the other doing what is good for YOU!

Perhaps this neighbor is planting trees because he can't stand the color of your house (or design or your cars or you always peering his way or whatever) and rather than ask you to change he is dealing with it on his own LOL!

Or perhaps you should be considerate of his right to have trees. Consideration is a 2-way street.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:17 AM

95 posts, read 150,383 times
Most, if not all planned subdivisions, have provisions in place for such issues. They are called CC&R's. If the HOA does not provide in it's CC&R's for the specific issue of the OP, then legal recourse may not be an option.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:46 AM

613 posts, read 972,908 times
That's why, ideally, it's always a god idea to make sure 'the view' is completely on/in your OWN property before buying (..Doh!) where NO ONE can do anything to interfere with it. Good 'views' (esp. those outside your property) are rarely guaranteed (like pretty much everything in life). Good suggestions here, I know it sucks.. but I wouldn't go suing anyone for this....that seems ridiculous. Good luck though.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:39 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,527,328 times
Quote:
Like I said ,it`s about being a good neighbor to those around you. Being that some of you all having the same thinking here is what makes me see that being considerate of others doesn`t top your list. That`s why we have so many problems in todays society. It`s a "all about me attitude."
I'm a little confused - isn't wanting HIM to not plant trees that would block YOUR view also a me attitude?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM

783 posts, read 1,853,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIFRE View Post
Most, if not all planned subdivisions, have provisions in place for such issues. They are called CC&R's. If the HOA does not provide in it's CC&R's for the specific issue of the OP, then legal recourse may not be an option.
This is exactly what is missing from cl723's post. Does the subdivision have CC&Rs? Most do. Unless the CC&Rs specifically state one cannot plant trees that blocks someone's view...or that one cannot have trees over a certain height, it sounds like cl723 doesn't have a leg to stand on. That should be a consideration when you buy a place with a view. That is...do the covenants allow someone to plant trees that are going to block the view I'm buying this place for? If so...you need to take that into consideration and buy that place only if you're willing to risk losing your view.

Some people want a great view. Some people like lots of trees. That doesn't make either one (necessarily) a jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado