U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,161 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 year old single female that has been looking to move to Colorado for a couple years now. First I had to finish grad school and now I am trying to get more job experience. As a teacher, it's been difficult to find openings in Colorado as opposed to Virginia where I'm stuck...

The advice I need is what area to choose and if it makes sense to wait it out another year or just go for it...
I love Fort Collins, Denver area (Golden), and Boulder. Colorado Springs was okay, but not on the top of my list.

I run marathons, hike, backpack, and love the outdoors. I like ethnic restaurants and all non-chain places. I'd like to be surrounded by diverse people that share similar interests. Also, I'd like some water nearby (like the Ft. Collins Reservoir). Any suggestions or tips are very welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,483,879 times
Your best bet to find a teaching job in Colorado is likely to be in Denver, followed by Colorado Springs. Boulder and Ft Collins are both college towns of note, so you are likely to face much greater competition in those smaller towns, due to a ready pool of graduates to fill the openings if/when they arise. If you can find a teaching position in Virginia, my advice would be to snap it up, count your lucky stars, and acquire some experience that could improve your chances of eventually getting hired in Colorado. Four years ago when the economy was still humming along my wife ( wth 16 years teaching experience in Virginia ) found an opening in Western Colorado. It can be done, but it is far more challenging in this current economy.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:00 PM

20,359 posts, read 37,893,411 times
Ditto. Denver metro area is largest area with most school systems. Boulder is good but pricey, though nearby areas are affordable. Fort Collins is good too but may be smallest pond in which to fish for a job.

Tons of info in this old thread that's currently active in the Denver forum.

Largest selection of ethnic foods will be Denver.

COLO SPGS is right at the base of the mountains, has some excellent school systems (D20, D38, D12, D8) and easy access to outdoor stuff (but no real lakes), though Golden and Boulder aren't far behind in nearness to mountain areas.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 21,025 times
I am an Ohio teacher also looking to relocate to Colorado. I also found myself trying to choose which city I would like to reside but then the lights came on and then I realized that I had to reside wherever in the state I could find a job!! So you might to keep that in mins. You might have to start in a very rural district your first year but once you are in the system you can go anywhere in teh state(provided there are openings). For instance I have interviewed in the Springs are but have sent my resumes as far as Telluride. A good resource I use is CASPA and www.teachincolorado.org. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,933,593 times
The only place you'll find a good variety of restaurants is Denver (and Boulder).
The only place you'll find a diverse set of people is Denver (and Boulder.)
You can do the outdoors activites you like anywhere in Colorado.
Lakes are scattered throughout Colorado.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,483,879 times
mrplease wrote:
You might have to start in a very rural district your first year but once you are in the system you can go anywhere in teh state(provided there are openings).
I think you got it backwards. Teacher salaries in rural areas of Colorado are regarded as high paying positions relative to the wages earned by most other rural residents. This dynamic makes teaching positions very competitive, especially in a glamour town like Telluride. The best chance of finding an open teaching position is likely to be in the bigger cities like Denver and Colorado Springs. With the economy being what it is, even that may prove quite challanging. But, where there is a will...there is a way! It just might be more challanging than anticipated and it might take longer than you think. Hang in there, and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or