Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:56 PM

3 posts, read 24,765 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me some guidance on the best part of Colorado Springs to focus on for a possible relocation from Florida. My wife and I are originally from the Northeast so we're no strangers to cold weather. Florida is getting to hot in the summer and we're trying to plan ahead. We have two sons ages 15 and 11 and we of course want a good school district. Since we're considering the possibility that one or both of them would eventually attend UCCS it would make sense to locate close enough to the campus to save on room and board. Commuting is not an issue as I'm bringing my work with me. As long as I have broadband, telephone and fax I can telecommute with my office in Florida. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 06:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rridgway View Post
Can someone give me some guidance on the best part of Colorado Springs to focus on for a possible relocation from Florida. My wife and I are originally from the Northeast so we're no strangers to cold weather. Florida is getting to hot in the summer and we're trying to plan ahead. We have two sons ages 15 and 11 and we of course want a good school district. Since we're considering the possibility that one or both of them would eventually attend UCCS it would make sense to locate close enough to the campus to save on room and board. Commuting is not an issue as I'm bringing my work with me. As long as I have broadband, telephone and fax I can telecommute with my office in Florida. Any ideas?
Northernmost Colorado Springs. D20, D38 schools. Fifteen to 30 minutes from UCCS, 40 minutes from Denver. Low crime. Most modern roads. This forum is loaded with tips and answers to your questions.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
i'm a little skeptical about that 40 min. from Denver. I wouldn't count on it on a regular basis.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:27 AM

110 posts, read 473,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeazy View Post
well, we are currently in Nursing School for RN's, so I'll have to look at whats available where. We would prefer the mountains (not too far from the slopes) Whats worth checking out on the western slope? I guess we're lookin for cities with mid-sized population. (Denver is probably too crowded... and i've heard bad things about the crime)
Mid-sized population can mean different things to different people. To me the entire front range from Colo. Springs to Ft. Collins feels like one big metro area with all the hassles of any city.

Based on the information above I think that Durango and Montrose on the western slope would be closer to fitting the bill. They both have great medical facilities with job opportunities.

I do think that you would find Durango to be much more expensive than you are looking for, but Montrose definitely has housing options within your price range.

Since you are somewhat familiar with Denver and the front range already, I would look at Montrose and Durango. Some people like Grand Junction, but it would be third on my list of small cities on the western slope.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
thedeazy

You can't go wrong with any of these places on the western slope ( Durango, Montrose, Grand Junction ). My wife and I chose Grand Junction becasue it offers the bset job selection with slightly higer pay than Montrose & Durango. It also has a larger population than Montrose & Durango. Housing is still affordable here, but that is changing fast. As of a year ago, housing was beyond our comfort zone in Durango. If money and jobs were not an issue, we'd have chosen Durango becasue it is cooler in the Summer and slightly warmer in the winter though it does get more snow than Grand Junction, and we find the immediate environment more scenic in Durango. Downtown Durango is perhaps slightly nicer than downtown Grand Junction but that is just a matter of personal preference.

The best thing you can do for yourselves is to take a grand tour of all the places you are considering. All we can do on this forum is to share our opinions of the various places. What I consider to be desirable might not appeal to you in the least. You gotta find out for yourself.

good luck in your search for your new hometown.....Franco

Old 07-05-2007, 04:47 AM

156 posts, read 946,863 times
Quote:
well, we are currently in Nursing School for RN's, so I'll have to look at whats available where. We would prefer the mountains (not too far from the slopes) Whats worth checking out on the western slope? I guess we're lookin for cities with mid-sized population. (Denver is probably too crowded... and i've heard bad things about the crime)
What part of FL are you moving from?
I am from the Denver area but currently live near Tampa, and lived in Palm Beach county also. Compared to Florida, Denver does not have a crime problem. Ther is a few areas in Denver that arent that great but compared to the big cities in FL... Denver is paradise. I wouldnt avoid Denver because of crime.
I cant wait to get back west! Hopefully within the next 3-4 months. Quality of life is not that great in FL unless you can afford the beach/intracoastal areas or you are in your your twenties and looking for nightlife. (in my opinion)
I know the whole Denver metro very well,(20 years of mobile business) let me know if you have any questions about the city or suburbs.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 AM

156 posts, read 946,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rridgway View Post
The whole east side of Colorado Springs is very new and very nice. I would look into the northeast part of the city. Lots of new homes, restaurants and shopping centers. You cant get very far from the mountains so the views are spectacular. Tons of recreation. Denver is just over a hour away.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:12 AM

37 posts, read 254,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk722 View Post
What part of FL are you moving from?
I am from the Denver area but currently live near Tampa, and lived in Palm Beach county also. Compared to Florida, Denver does not have a crime problem. Ther is a few areas in Denver that arent that great but compared to the big cities in FL... Denver is paradise. I wouldnt avoid Denver because of crime.
I cant wait to get back west! Hopefully within the next 3-4 months. Quality of life is not that great in FL unless you can afford the beach/intracoastal areas or you are in your your twenties and looking for nightlife. (in my opinion)
I know the whole Denver metro very well,(20 years of mobile business) let me know if you have any questions about the city or suburbs.
I actually live in Bradenton. If you're in Tampa, I'm sure you've heard of it. Just north of Sarasota. Its "alright" here like you said as long as you get the chance to make it to the beaches and stuff. But i miss mountains very much, and so we're looking forward to our trip to CO in a month!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 34,688 times
Default Colorado Springs for 13 years

Quote:
My girlfriend and I (both about to turn 26) are moving out of FL soon... (the sooner the better if you ask me). We have decided on CO and are coming for a quick trip in August to visit possible cities to relocate to. Right now, the top on our list is The Springs, then Fort Collins, then Boulder, but that's a little pricey... I want to know what other cities/suburbs are we forgetting that we should check out?? Locals, please help!! My dad was raised in Loveland, and I've visited there plenty of times. I love Colorado.... Help me get out of Florida!!
I have lived in Colorado Springs for 13 years a love it. I am a local Realor who can help with your move should you relocate.
frank schlosser

Last edited by mdz; 07-12-2007 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 07-27-2007, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,441 times
Wink Running out of SoFla

I can SO empathize with you. My boyfriend & I are also trying to move (hopefully to boulder) as soon as we can find someone to buy our home here. He's a nurse so I don't really worry about him finding a job but I have a psychology degree (making it really hard to make any money here). I've been getting discouraged by the prices of homes there because I plan on attending school after we've lived there for a while & we can't afford to have a mortgage the size of the one we have here as we have to cut back our living expenses. We visited boulder just love the place & I would love to live there.

Does anyone have any input on what the job market is like for a therapist or social worker (without a CO license at this point) or can help with finding someone to help us find a home there? We are in our early 30's with no kids and 2 cats. I would love a townhouse or condo but he prefers a single family house. I am not so nieve as to believe we can find a cute place right off downtown but I would prefer to be closer to the college campus...

SO please any insight would be appreciated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado