U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 PM

112 posts, read 256,226 times

Advertisements

I have been looking through pictures of homes for sale in the Grand Junction area, and, coming from greener pastures, I was fascinated by the desert style yards I am seeing in many. I have two very large dogs that are accustomed to using the yard for their business and wondered about the scooping of poo off what looks to be a rocky mulch? It sounds an awkward endeavor...I just had to ask if anyone there lets their dogs potty in the yards and how that goes on the non grassy surfaces. Must you replace pebbles periodically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 AM

10,677 posts, read 28,491,129 times
Or hose them off.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 AM
gn3

147 posts, read 358,376 times
Whether it's a corny question depends on what you feed your dogs, I suppose.

I'm not in GJ, but live in Springs and have yard which is partially turf and partially xeriscaped (working on reducing the turf and changing what remains to some native grasses). For whatever reason, the dogs prefer to go on the gravel rather than the turf, perhaps because they play on the grass. So, I have to deal with this issue. Frankly, you just have to deal with the fact that you're throwing some gravel away with the dog dookie. The other options (other than not having dogs) are to wait for it to decompose naturally (which obviously will smell if your dogs are very big) or spend an inordinate amount of time separating the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. The unfortunate thing is that you're contributing to mining pressure when it comes time to top off the gravel owing to this small but persistent loss. But the good news is that gravel is not in short supply, and this is still more environmentally friendly than maintaining an all-turf lawn in the desert or a semi-arid region.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 AM

79 posts, read 248,870 times
Part of GJ has irrigation water for yards and in part of GJ you must use house water for your yard. So you will find a lot of grass in some areas (irrigation water is not drinkable but is cheap) and a lack of grass in other parts (lots of the Redlands area). But one can always add a small patch of grass. I've seen that in yards that don't have irrigation water but do have pets.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,107,697 times
I supposed it depends on the consistency of your dog's poo.
What's Your Poo Telling You - Ask Dr. Stool

Old 05-06-2010, 04:38 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I supposed it depends on the consistency of your dog's poo.
What's Your Poo Telling You - Ask Dr. Stool
LOL great post.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:53 PM

Thank you all for sharing these insights with me

Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
I lived in Grand Junction for 7 years and had irrigation water the entire time. However, we still had quite a bit of gravel and actually trained our dog to do her business there. It was easier to clean up, IMO and also kept the grass green, poo free, and nice to walk on.

I really want to put some gravel in at my new home for this exact purpose. Now that we have all grass, the dogs must use it and they seem to go wherever the urge takes them! Makes for quite a few poopy shoes.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I lived in Grand Junction for 7 years and had irrigation water the entire time. However, we still had quite a bit of gravel and actually trained our dog to do her business there. It was easier to clean up, IMO and also kept the grass green, poo free, and nice to walk on.

I really want to put some gravel in at my new home for this exact purpose. Now that we have all grass, the dogs must use it and they seem to go wherever the urge takes them! Makes for quite a few poopy shoes.

Thanks for your post. may I ask what method of poo removal you used on the gravel? thanks!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylona View Post
Thanks for your post. may I ask what method of poo removal you used on the gravel? thanks!
LMAO!!! This post is giving me a good chuckle. I just used a poop scoop and bucket. We had really small gravel though, most dime sized or smaller, so if I threw some out, it didn't really matter. The one good thing about the GJ heat is that it dries it up pretty fast and it's easy to remove!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado