U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:29 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,649,862 times

Advertisements

Maybe I can also contribute a bit to this thread.

I was actually born in Grand Junction but my family moved to Wyoming when I was 2 years old. They moved back 6 years ago and I lived in Grand Junction with them for 3 short months during during the summer of 2004 before moving to Denver to go to college. During that summer, I had a full time job at a hotel front desk.

As many other posters have said, there are positives and negatives to Grand Junction. I always enjoy my trips over there as I enjoy seeing my family, but I much prefer living in Denver. I'm definately a city boy and I find the lack of city activities and amenities in Grand Junction a bit boring. The pace of life in Grand Junction is much, much slower than in Denver.

Grand Junction is a very well-kept town. With the Colorado River and irrigating canals flowing through the valley, the town is remarkably green for a desert town. The growing season is longer than on the Front Range, and grape and peach orchards support some nice wineries. The summer can get a bit hot, but after having lived in Phoenix, you'd find the summers downright cool. One thing I really missed in Grand Junction was the lack of thunderstorms during the summer months. Although they can get an occasional thunder or rain shower, the storms there are nothing like the powerful thunderstorms we get on the Front Range.

I also encourage you to go to the interview. See what they have to offer. You could always take a job to get a year or two of work experience then move on to somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 06:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,263,231 times
Cosmic wizard, I forgot to comment on one more thing. You said were the big box stores are by the mall is the ugly part of town. LOL, it`s actually the nicer part of town and far from ulgy since a lot of those stores are fairly new. So it`s more kept up. Unlike North Ave were that it is crappy and ugly.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:51 PM

22 posts, read 53,182 times
[quote=CosmicWizard;14141521]vegaspilgrim...I have lived in LA, and I have lived in Grand Junction. IMO, Grand Junction wins that one hands down. I did not enjoy the time I spent in LA, even though I lived in a very nice part of LA ( Rancho Palos Verdes) in a very nice house witha pool in the back yard and a great view of Catalina Island. LA was not my cup of tea. I hated the freeways and just about everything else about it. I was never so happy to leave a place as I was to leave LA. I was glad when my one year assignment was over.

I lived in Palos Verdes too!!! I grew up there after moving from back east, way back when it was all horses and small houses, before all the rich foreigners ruined the landscape with their mansions...

Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,492,187 times
cl723 wrote:
Cosmic wizard, I forgot to comment on one more thing. You said were the big box stores are by the mall is the ugly part of town. LOL, it`s actually the nicer part of town and far from ulgy since a lot of those stores are fairly new. So it`s more kept up. Unlike North Ave were that it is crappy and ugly.
Like beauty, ugly is also in the eye of the beholder. To my eyes, malls and big box stores are downright ugly, especailly the new ones, because that means that some mom and pop shops are likely to lose business. To each his/her own! No argument that North Ave is also crappy and ugly....but not AS ugly as the mall area.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:20 AM

16,201 posts, read 20,244,203 times
Cosmic is right. A good point is the huge monstrosity known as Circuit City. That building has been sitting empty for a year and a half. And there are others, such as the old Furr's cafeteria. That building has been sitting empty for years. I'm very particular about chain restaurants and it surprised me when it closed as I would stop there maybe twice a week.

Like Cosmic, I'm a mom and pop business supporter.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,942,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
But North Ave. has more character

Old 05-13-2010, 09:44 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,942,474 times
vegaspilgrim: today's the big day! Maybe it won't be windy when you're here. Tell us how it goes and what you think.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,492,187 times
sterlinggirl wrote:
The odds aren't linear Wiz. If you're looking for a soulmate, the odds of finding one increase exponentially if you follow your soul to the place it wants to go.
This is good stuff! I hope you will share more of your inner wisdom with us, instead of the doom and gloom that comes across in so many of your posts. Let your bright light shine. You got too much of it to keep hiding it under a false veeneer of gloom.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:48 AM

12,851 posts, read 23,310,104 times
I'm going to nominate CosmicWizard for "Posts of the Year" for his work on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
The odds aren't linear Wiz. If you're looking for a soulmate, the odds of finding one increase exponentially if you follow your soul to the place it wants to go.
When I first read this, I wanted to rep the heck out of it, but then I remembered that I met my soulmate in a place I hated, somewhere my soul did not want to be and was dying to get out of. Now I'm forever tied to that place.

IMO, wherever you are is where you're supposed to be, per the guidance of the soul or not. IMO life is a crapshoot. I'd love to follow my soul to another place right now, but my soul is telling my soul that it's best to stay put for the best interests of my soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
The issue is whether I could fit in with the local culture and make friends/ find a girlfriend there. I don't want to be a lonely bachelor my whole life. Not to say the perfect woman for me couldn't very well be there, but I don't want to stack the odds against me any more than need be. I don't want to end up becoming a young "curmudgeon" (we've seen plenty of old curmudegons on this forum). I'm also a tad bit uncomfortable with the ethnic homogeneity I see in GJ (and truthfully, most of the state with the exception of parts of the Denver metro area).
You can learn to fit in anywhere. If I can learn to fit in to weird places (not that GJ is weird ), you can too. Everywhere that "looks good on paper" to me has turned out to be a total bust socially (as you know).

You will find a woman somewhere. Probably somewhere statistically improbable. You might trip over her at Walgreen's or something.

Re: ethnic homogeneity. Don't think about it. Free Your Mind from it (like the En Vogue song). My ethnic hodgepodge gets along much better in homogeneous places for some reason (not that I want it to), perhaps you'll have similar luck.

Remember those waves we talked about? The next one will come along soon. Good luck amigo.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,263,231 times
That`s they only building(circut city) around the mall that has closed down. I guess you forgot about how nice the other places look. Why do you guys want to give the wrong impression to others reading this....

North ave is a totaly dumpy area. You guys are the only ones that I know that like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado