U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:28 PM

8 posts, read 21,276 times

Advertisements

I moved to Grand Junction (Grand Valley region) recently, having lived in large metro areas as well as college towns. My initial impressions of the region are positive as the people are generally friendly, certainly more hospitable than Denver.
Everyone says stay away from Clifton; itís the Aurora (0r Oakland) of the area. People also say live north of NORTH. ďNorthĒ is the east-west dividing avenue, similar to Hampden in Denver Metro. For seeing the beauty of the valley I prefer neighborhoods north of Patterson (AKA ďFĒ road) and out by the airport near Horizon drive exit off I-70. Itís higher elevation and thus one can see the full geology of the valley, Colorado Monument on the south, Book Cliffs on the north, Grand Mesa on the east. Letís face it, if you are in a neighborhood near downtown Grand Junction you will have tree canopies which block the panoramic views. For all you can see, you might as well be in any neighborhood in Detroit or Des Moines.
This is the whitest city in Colorado other than Fort Collins. I personally like more diversity but it is what it is.
The Mullet and Farah-Fawcett haircuts are still in style unless you live in the Redlands area or Fruita. Fruita, AKA Mayberry, has some nice hair salons judging by the attractive hair cuts there.
There is a peculiar aspect of this region that I have not seen before which is that many property owners trash their yards with anything and everything that comes through their hands. You pass through neighborhoods and see what looks like a gigantic yard sale Ė or a sheriff eviction Ė and find out that ďitís been like that for 20 years.Ē Why people donít have more self respect for their dwelling environments is beyond me but this is everywhere in the region.
Schools, I donít know much about here, but the overall appearance of the residents here is not exactly Highlands Ranch or Marin County, sorry to say. Canít say these people are well off judging by appearances. A well off neighborhood usually comes that way because people want to live where the schools are good. They pay more to live where the schools are good, and it keeps property values up. The DU area in Denver is a case in point.
Another thing here, landlords despise pets. Unless you are in a higher demographic forget about finding a decent place with pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:21 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,939,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouelle View Post
There is a peculiar aspect of this region that I have not seen before which is that many property owners trash their yards with anything and everything that comes through their hands.
Everything else you wrote was accurate and well written, except for this excerpt above. I don't know where you live or which neighborhood you're referring to, but this is absolutely not true across 90% of the Grand Junction area. To the contrary, people are very meticulous about keeping clean yards.

Quote:
the overall appearance of the residents here is not exactly Highlands Ranch or Marin County, sorry to say. Canít say these people are well off judging by appearances.
Grand Junction is basically a rural, farming community with oil workers in the mix, so what do you expect?

Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,805,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Everything else you wrote was accurate and well written, except for this excerpt above. I don't know where you live or which neighborhood you're referring to, but this is absolutely not true across 90% of the Grand Junction area. To the contrary, people are very meticulous about keeping clean yards.
I'll have to disagree with you here. People in western CO seem to take much less pride in their yards than other areas of the country. Some of the difference, I think, is the fact that maintaining a nice looking yard in the desert takes a lot more work, money, and skill than it does in climates where water loving plants are actually meant to grow.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 711 times
me and my family might move to gj. we are a mixed couple with mixed children, is the town racists, it i 87% white
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado