U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,181,666 times

Advertisements

Sorry to start another Grand Junction thread. I have an interview scheduled with a company in GJ next week, it was a quick application that I sent out a few weeks ago, didn't really think much about it. At first I was super excited, now I'm not so sure. The job is similar to the kinds of jobs I'm been interviewing for in Denver. I'm not sure if I'd be happy living in GJ, or if it would be a place that I'd be counting down the days until I get out. I need to figure out this weekend if it's worth the 5 hours driving there and back.

Things that seem cool about GJ:
*Location-- I've driven through GJ countless times on the way to Utah, Vegas, Arizona, SW Colorado-- if I lived in GJ I'd be five hours closer to all my favorite places!
*Outdoor activities-- seems like you could hardly pick a better place. Although I doubt Powderhorn can compare with Loveland, A-Basin, Mary Jane.
*It's in the same state. 5 hours from Denver.
*Apparently GJ is a true high desert climate-- which I like, although every time I've been through it doesn't really feel desert-y at all.

Things I'm apprehensive about:
*I'm 24 years old, single male. Is this the wrong town altogether?
*Don't know a single person there.
*I think fundamentally I'm a city person. My favorite cities are Denver, Phoenix, Vegas, San Diego, and Albuquerque. Reno (pop 400k) is the smallest place I've lived, and that was kind of pushing it, but Reno actually has somewhat of a big city feel in a little package. GJ, from what I've seen of it, feels very rural. I'm a hiker and a skier, not a huntin' fishin' pickup drivin' type. I don't have anything against rural people at all-- I just don't want to live somewhere if I don't belong.
*I've heard salaries in Grand Junction and the western slope are low compared to the Denver metro area. From your experience, is this true? Would I expect to get lower pay for this job vs the same exact type of job with a similar sized company in Denver?
*If I lived in GJ, would I be tempted to want to drive the 5 hours to Denver all the time-- and end up getting tired of it?

Any thoughts here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 13,274 times
I love this town, but I'm married and have a family. There is not much happening here as far as nightlife for singles. There are more things going in the summer than winter, such as festivals and events. If you love the outdoors, though, there isn't a better place to live. Skiing, hiking, mountain and road biking, river rafting, tennis, golf, it's all right here. I'm probably too far removed from the singles scene to be of much help to you.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:52 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,196,177 times
My husband and I lived in GJ for almost 7 years. We enjoyed the town at first, for the exact reasons you stated (closer to the places you love). However, after a few years it really began to wear on us. Almost everyone our age had kids or family there, and many were not open to new friends. There are some things to do there (festivals, hiking, biking, etc.), but after the first year or two you will probably get bored and find yourself driving to Denver every other weekend (and hating the drive more and more). Believe me, we were there! The pay is true for the most part. My husband could make $5-$7 more an hour working in a major metro area. That's one of the reasons GJ stays somewhat small and isolated. The people there want to keep it that way and will take lower wages. I worked for the Forest Service while there, and several of my male co-workers didn't last long if they were single. They found GJ extremely difficult to live as a young, single guy.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:45 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Go to the interview, give it your best. If they offer you a job, then you have to weigh the pros and cons. You can always say "no".

Old 05-10-2010, 08:40 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Things that seem cool about GJ:
*Location-- I've driven through GJ countless times on the way to Utah, Vegas, Arizona, SW Colorado-- if I lived in GJ I'd be five hours closer to all my favorite places!
*Outdoor activities-- seems like you could hardly pick a better place.
A lot of people say this, and yes, we are getting one of the few Cabelas' in the country ... but in my opinion GJ is not that great for outdoors activities. Here's why:

(1)the only hiking immediately in or around GJ is desert hiking on the Monument or Mt. Garfield, both of which are exposed areas which no trees, no running water and minimal vegetation. If you want to hike in a forested area in the mountains (my preference), it's an hour's drive to Grand Mesa (but the hiking season is very short due to the amazing amounts of snow up there.)

(2) no good areas to fish in GJ. There's a couple little lakes but they're so heavily fished it's not good. The closest "real" fishing is about an hour and half drive

(3) The weather sucks. It really does, there's no two ways about it. It's either winter (cold) or it's windy or it's summer (blazing hot).

I've lived in a couple places that were WAY better for outdoors activities. In comparison Grand Junction is a bit of a letdown.

Quote:
*It's in the same state. 5 hours from Denver.
*Apparently GJ is a true high desert climate-- which I like, although every time I've been through it doesn't really feel desert-y at all.
Huh? You don't get more deserty than this!

Quote:
Things I'm apprehensive about:
*I'm 24 years old, single male. Is this the wrong town altogether?
Dating scene is very minimal here.

Quote:
*I think fundamentally I'm a city person. My favorite cities are Denver, Phoenix, Vegas, San Diego, and Albuquerque. Reno (pop 400k) is the smallest place I've lived, and that was kind of pushing it, but Reno actually has somewhat of a big city feel in a little package. GJ, from what I've seen of it, feels very rural.
Yes it is rural and isolated. If you're a city person you're not gonna like it. I'm a city person and I have a hard time living here. Not to say GJ is a "bad" town .... it isn't. It's just not my cup of tea and there's a chance I'll be moving to Denver at the end of the year.

Quote:
I'm a hiker and a skier, not a huntin' fishin' pickup drivin' type.
OMG. GJ has probably the most lifted pickups I've ever seen in one town. Actually I like pickups, I've got one myself, but there's certainly a lot of them around!

Quote:
*I've heard salaries in Grand Junction and the western slope are low compared to the Denver metro area. From your experience, is this true?
Let me tell you something. Salaries are low and cost of living is HIGH. Rent and housing is expensive compared to what people earn around here. Why? Simple. It's because of the oil industry. There's a bunch of oil people who make a lot of money, and the rents and housing costs are in accordance with their salaries, not the rest of us.

Quote:
*If I lived in GJ, would I be tempted to want to drive the 5 hours to Denver all the time-- and end up getting tired of it?
I wish we could go to Denver more often. But it's a long drive, and you have to make a big deal out of it, get a hotel, stay for a couple days to make it worthwhile. It ends up getting expensive and time consuming. So the result is we don't go much. However, I do know people (eg. my boss) who go twice a month because they get bored in GJ.

Quote:
Any thoughts here?
It sounds like you and I share similar tastes and goals. Let me just say that I'm planning to move away from GJ whenever possible, not because it's a bad place but just because it's too small and boring for me.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Now that I've said all that, let me state the good things about Grand Junction.

- Very peaceful
- no traffic
- no apparent crime
- polite and respectful people
- family-oriented
- clean and well kept

These things grow on you after a while.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:19 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,181,666 times
Thanks for the responses, everybody. Anybody else who would like to chime in, feel free, I'll keep following this thread.

I think I am going to go to the interview, since I don't want to be one of those flakes that backs out of appointments. I'll try to do some exploring around the town when I get there. But I'm very hesitant about this job, in fact I've been asking myself the last few days what the heck I was thinking. And truthfully, the chance of actually landing the position is probably slim anyway, as I'm sure they would rather hire a Mesa State grad or someone who's from Grand Junction.

So, 80skeys, what brought you to GJ in the first place?

Old 05-10-2010, 03:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,249,167 times
Actually, 80keys, there is way more hiking around GJ than what you are describing. Matter of fact, there are a quit of a lot of places to hike. A lot of nice places too. As for the monument, it is beautiful and has a lot of vegitation.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Actually, 80keys, there is way more hiking around GJ than what you are describing. Matter of fact, there are a quit of a lot of places to hike. A lot of nice places too. As for the monument, it is beautiful and has a lot of vegitation.
For desert hiking, it's fine. But I prefer alpine forests which is why I'm not a big fan of hiking around here.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 PM

16,163 posts, read 20,172,692 times
Whazzup Vegas Pilgrim? I hesitated to contribute, because my situation is different than most of the other western slope posters, but I'll address a couple questions.

Last year and so far this year we are catching a break with the weather. But for the most part, yea, it gets warm here in the summer. The advantage here is the fall, so preferable to Denver that there is no comparison. I'm no fan of snow, so my opinion is different than most people. We did get a hefty storm on December 9th, and the snow was on the ground for over 3 months (in my area anyway).

The advantage Denver has in winter are those chinook winds coming off the front range. I lived in the Denver area for three decades so that part of it I do miss, the fact that you could put together a string of 55 to 60 degree days in a row in January or February. Not here. Around early December the cold settles in and 30 to 35 is the high in this area is where it stands until late February/early March. The plus side is you don't have any of those goofy May snows here that you can have in Denver.

Then there are summers like the Summer of 1994. From June 1st to Labor Day weekend there were only a handful of days that the temperature did not hit 90 degrees, and if memory serves we had at least two dozen days of 100 degree temps. That year all of the Rocky Mtn. SW was pretty much a hot box all around. I remember visiting a friend of mine who lives east of Albuquerque and an all time temperature high was reported on one of Albuquerque's tv stations. Lakewood, a small town south of Roswell, recorded an all time high for the state with a temperature of 120! Yep, 120. So, yea the 4 corners states can get pretty toasty in the summer!

I'll comment a bit more tomorrow!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-10-2010 at 10:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado