U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 45,120 times

Advertisements

Good morning. Yesterday I got a ticket for the first time in my life. I got a ticket for running a red light at the I-70 off ramp and Wadsworth in Arvada. I was turning left on to Wadsworth and the guy behind me was right on my bumper and I just had this feeling he wasn't going to stop so I went through the light because the other cars in the other turn lane went too. Sure enough, he didn't stop and he went through the light. We both got pulled over. I explained to the officer why I ran the light and he said he understands that I didn't want to get in an accident but I can't run a light and then he told me that if it makes me feel any better that the driver got a ticket too. Another girl got pulled over too a few minutes after me and stopped right next to me but she was let go without getting a ticket and left before me. He told me I have a court date but because of my driving record and never being pulled over before, they will probably just send me something in the mail within the next 20 days. It says on the citation that it is a 4pt ticket but did not list the fine amount. Does anyone know if I can get the points reduced? Or how much the fine is going to be? Thanks for any suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 05:05 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,355,007 times
I am not sure about Denver but in Pueblo in cases like yours they usually reduce the points and defer it. That way if you go 6 months without a ticket then its never on your permanent record. If they give you that kind of deal I would take it, pay the fine and move on.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:50 PM

10,544 posts, read 11,637,607 times
Call the court clerk.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:13 PM

10,871 posts, read 41,162,985 times
A couple of items for your ticket:

1) The points for the violation are specified by the statutes, and are not at the discretion of the court. So, if you are found (or plead) guilty to a violation, then that's the points that will be put on your license.

2) At a minimum, with your good driving record, you should take the time to go visit with the city attorney's office about your ticket and get a chance to explain to them what happened. You may be offered a "plea bargain" by them to a lesser charge which carries a much lower fine as well as fewer points. The attorney's office really doesn't want to go to court over this non-accident ticket, so they may be very inclined to wrap things up to everyones convenience. Even if the plea offer is only a modest reduction in fine/points, it's most likely going to be a better deal than you'd get going to traffic court if the officer testifies that he saw you run the red light ... the officer's word, supported by your admission that you "needed" to run the light to avoid a possible accident situation (which would have been noted on the officer's copy of the ticket for the attorney's office) ... will result in a "guilty" finding by the court and you'll be looking at all the fees, fines, and 4 points on your record.

3) The "other girl" that got stopped and then was allowed to leave without getting a ticket? It's not relevant to your offense as ticketed by the officer. Nor is the fact that the person behind you when you ran the light got ticketed relevant to your situation ... they ran the light and got ticketed. You did, too.

4) What you did to preclude a possible accident may have been prudent behavior on your part. Unfortunately, the statutes don't authorize you to break the law to behave prudently. There are consequences for doing so, which is why there are courts and experienced city attorneys who can adjust to the situation.

5) Realize that justice and fairness are not necessarily found in a traffic stop or traffic court. Somebody playing "devil's advocate" could reasonably ask "what if you'd run the light to avoid being rear-ended but got into an accident with another vehicle legally in the intersection who'd be looking at you as the proximate cause of their collision?"

Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,109,578 times
From the title here, it sounded like the ticket was for having a 'red light' on outside your place of 'business'.

Now that I see it's for a traffic violation all I can say is try to go to traffic school and get the point reduced if you can. The courts never seem to care what our reasons for breaking their laws are.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:14 AM

Thank you all very much for your responses, I appreciate it.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:41 PM

529 posts, read 1,138,312 times
As much as I hate to say, and I shouldn't, and someone here will tell me after all that I shouldn't. But, based on your post you should have done everything possible to obey the law and stopped at that red light. If the tailgater had hit you you should have hopped out of that car holding your neck screaming bloody murder and "whiplash and I see spots" and gotten a free ride to DGH courtesy of the AFD. After that you should have sued the tail-gating driver for hurting you. I know CO is a no-fault state but that doesn't stop you from hiring an ambulance chaser and recovering more damages and expenses since the patrol officer was so ready to write you a ticket for being prudent.

Sometimes, I think doing the right thing gets you into trouble. I guess to play devils advocate is you could have injured someone going on red versus the tailgater being able to stop and not hit you in the nick of time. Following too close is the number one reason there are so many accidents in our country and the rest of the world.

Sorry you got the ticket.

My suggestion at this point is the contact the Arvada City Procecutuor's Office and see if it will reduce your ticket to a non-moving violation, no points on your license records, pay the fine move on and in the future stop at all red lights regardless of the situation. It's the law....espeically in Colorado where everything you do wrong seems to warrant a felony charge.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:35 AM

I have finally received the ticket in the mail. They have reduced it to a defective vehicle ticket and it will be 2 points with an $80 fine. Believe me, no more running red lights for anything. I now have anxiety every time I approach a light and pray that it doesn't turn yellow. Thanks for all your suggestions and advice.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 AM

18,906 posts, read 8,878,766 times
Sounds like it is turning out fairly well for you.

I don't really mind the concept of the photo-red-lights, but they do drive me crazy. We had them in Virginia, and it seemed like I was constantly afraid I had triggered one, particularly when turning left at an intersection...although I never got one. A friend of mine who is a police officer told me they are set to be quite "generous" in ignoring borderline situations.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:28 AM

6 posts, read 33,249 times
Default red light runner

I'm sorry no offense but I'm glad to hear they are writing tickets for this. I wish they would do it more often in my town. I try hard not to run red lights, once in a great while though I happen under one when it is turning and it would be too dangerous to stop for it. I can tell you that every time we go somewhere there is always someone running red lights. I've seen so many close calls it's not even funny. Just yesterday I happened upon an accident that was not a miss but a hit. I didn't see it happen so no idea if it was a red light runner. If people could only stop to realize that driving dangerously is not going to get them to their destination that much faster to make it worth the risk......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidpally View Post
Good morning. Yesterday I got a ticket for the first time in my life. I got a ticket for running a red light at the I-70 off ramp and Wadsworth in Arvada. I was turning left on to Wadsworth and the guy behind me was right on my bumper and I just had this feeling he wasn't going to stop so I went through the light because the other cars in the other turn lane went too. Sure enough, he didn't stop and he went through the light. We both got pulled over. I explained to the officer why I ran the light and he said he understands that I didn't want to get in an accident but I can't run a light and then he told me that if it makes me feel any better that the driver got a ticket too. Another girl got pulled over too a few minutes after me and stopped right next to me but she was let go without getting a ticket and left before me. He told me I have a court date but because of my driving record and never being pulled over before, they will probably just send me something in the mail within the next 20 days. It says on the citation that it is a 4pt ticket but did not list the fine amount. Does anyone know if I can get the points reduced? Or how much the fine is going to be? Thanks for any suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado